ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Garmin Basecamp (Mapsource) for iPad? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744479)

ericw 11-25-2011 04:29 PM

Garmin Basecamp (Mapsource) for iPad?

Hi All - I like Garmin's Basecamp program - which is just the Apple-compatible version of Garmin's Mapsource. Apple compatible meaning Apple computer compatible not iPad compatible.

Basecamp (Mapsource) allows me to import/export my library of .gpx track files and then edit/create new track files for trip planning, etc. I can then email them to my iPhone for use on the bike with another God-send, the Motion-X GPS app for iPhone.

My question is: Has anybody found an iPad app that has about the same map editing capabilities as Basecamp (Mapsource)? I saw that Backpacker magazine is pushing something called "Mapmaker" but it is so new that there doesn't seem to be any info/feedback on it yet.

In an effort to be pro-active, PLEASE don't hijack this thread and argue about whether the iPad/iPhone/Droid/anySmartphone can operate as a GPS with or without cell service (ugggh). The only thing I would like is some direction/advice on is finding something like Basecamp (Mapsource) as an app for the iPad. I only need it for map editing on the iPad at home, NOT for using the iPad as a GPS. (Thanks in advance)

Any help would really be appreciated and, Happy Thanksgiving!

250senuf 11-25-2011 06:04 PM

Time for you to lead the way. :D

Some feedback on it here: http://facebook.com/backpackergpstrails

Didn't find how much it costs, seems it is no longer free.

EDIT: costs $9.99

ericw 11-25-2011 06:26 PM

iPad GPS App

Thanks for the lead 250senuf. Unfortunately, that link took me to Backpacker's GPSTrails app, which is for iPhone only, I believe.

I'm looking for an iPad app.

The "Mapmaker" app that Backpacker has is for the iPad but there isn't even info on whether this let's you create tracks or routes or both. Thanks tho'!

The search continues...

Emmbeedee 11-25-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericw (Post 17381480)
Hi All - I've been through a few Garmins... with disasterous results, but that's a story for another day.

One good thing that's come out of my Garmin GPS mis-adventures has been Garmin's Basecamp program - which is just the Apple-compatible version of Garmin's Mapsource. Apple compatible meaning Apple computer compatible not iPad compatible.

Basecamp (Mapsource) allows me to import/export my library of .gpx track files and then edit/create new track files for trip planning, etc. I can then email them to my iPhone for use on the bike with another God-send, the Motion-X GPS app for iPhone.

My question is: Has anybody found an iPad app that has about the same map editing capabilities as Basecamp (Mapsource)? I saw that Backpacker magazine is pushing something called "Mapmaker" but it is so new that there doesn't seem to be any info/feedback on it yet.

In an effort to be pro-active, PLEASE don't hijack this thread and argue about whether the iPad/iPhone/Droid/anySmartphone can operate as a GPS with or without cell service (ugggh). The only thing I would like is some direction/advice on is finding something like Basecamp (Mapsource) as an app for the iPad. I only need it for map editing on the iPad at home, NOT for using the iPad as a GPS. (Thanks in advance)

Any help would really be appreciated and, Happy Thanksgiving!

I don't understand why you keep referring to "Basecamp (Mapsource)"? They are two very different tools optimized for two different generations of gps. There is a BaseCamp for PC Windows too. It's not a Mac only application.

That being said, I have not heard of anything like BaseCamp on the iPad.

ericw 11-25-2011 08:49 PM

Thanks for the clarification Emmbeedee. Not wanting to split hairs, aren't they (Mapsource/Basecamp) both, in essence, map-editing applications on a PC/Mac for the Garmin GPS? Anyway, that's all I'm using it for.

To keep things simple, my goal is to edit and create tracks on a map interface - on an iPad - and then export it as a .gpx file into a (non-Garmin) GPS.

Maybe someone has used something other than a Garmin map-editing product in the iPad?

Thanks again!

Emmbeedee 11-25-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericw (Post 17382956)
Thanks for the clarification Emmbeedee. Not wanting to split hairs, aren't they (Mapsource/Basecamp) both, in essence, map-editing applications on a PC/Mac for the Garmin GPS? Anyway, that's all I'm using it for.

BaseCamp is much more powerful because it allows you to see the maps installed on compatible gps units as if they were installed on the computer. It would be awesome if Garmin made an iPad version of BaseCamp.

Mapsource is obsolete. Garmin is on record saying it will no longer be developed.

markjenn 11-25-2011 09:05 PM

There are mapping products for the iOS that will allow you to do routing on non-Garmin maps and export routes or tracks that you could eventually be used on the GPS. But if you're expecting a port of MapSource or Basecamp that will do all the Garmin platform-specific stuff such as build mapsets, produce GDB files, copy routes/tracks back and forth between the GPS and the PC, etc., I think that will be a long time coming, if ever, and if it does come, it will probably be from Garmin. A port of Basecamp between the OSX and iOS would be a huge undertaking.

You might get more useful information if you define what you want to do with the iPad.

- Mark

ericw 11-25-2011 09:10 PM

I have to say I haven't even looked at Mapsource for probably 5+ years.

Unfortunately, I'm getting kicked off my wife's Basecamp-equipped Mac and have to search for other map editing digs and I'm hoping the iPad+app will be a possibility to create/export .gpx files.

Backpacker Magazine (w/Trimble?) has supposedly released their iPad compatible Mapmaker program. But it must be so new there's zero feedback except for Backpacker magazine's intro on their website. I sent the app developers an email asking them specifics to see if Mapmaker will work - but haven't heard back. If it's lacking on features, nice thing about a lot of these apps is they seem to move pretty fast on upgrades and other types of development.

Hi Markjenn - What I'm trying to do is: 1. Import/export tracks, 2. View those tracks overlayed on a map, and 3. Edit those tracks (draw tracks / join tracks / drop waypoints). A nice addition may be the ability to toggle w/sat images to "ground-truth" my track work.

Well, if not this Backpacker Magazine "Mapmaker" program, maybe we'll find something out there - I'm sure I can't be the only one looking for iPad-compatible mapping goodies!

markjenn 11-25-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericw (Post 17383088)
Hi Markjenn - What I'm trying to do is: 1. Import/export tracks, 2. View those tracks overlayed on a map, and 3. Edit those tracks (draw tracks / join tracks / drop waypoints). A nice addition may be the ability to toggle w/sat images to "ground-truth" my track work.

It sounds like the heart of your problem is getting routes/tracks in/out of the GPS and then converting them over to a universal format such as GPX. From there, I would think any number of iPad mapping programs could do what you want.

You have the connectivity issue of getting from the GPS storage to the iPad storage and then the need for some kind of application to read Garmin's proprietary track log format and convert it. I'm not aware of anything for the iPad that will do these tasks for you. Sorry.

If you're not hung up on the iPad for its own sake, often the easiest way around these sorts of things is simply to buy a super-cheap used laptop or netbook for travels - then you can run Basecamp and have the whole enchilada. As stated earlier, Basecamp is available on the PC and in fact, is Garmin's choice for mapping apps moving forward.

- Mark

DRTBYK 11-25-2011 10:40 PM

The BaseCamp Dev Team for Mac expressed a desire to port BC to iOS but indicated that they didn't have funding to do so - at the moment. There are already iOS compatible Maps (those used by StreetPilot for iPhone). But, there are other issues that would need to be resolved besides having BC-iOS. There would need to be a hardware interface between the iPad and Garmin GPS's to transfer data. This could be something similar to the newly announced Ant+ Adapter which is a Wireless iPhone Docking Port Adapter for Fitness Device connectivity. If Garmin produced a Wireless "Sharing Adapter" they could wirelessly share GPX data with any of the newer Garmin GPS's that support Wireless Transfer. Garmin could also extend the Transfer protocol to include other non-GPX data: like Photo's and BirdsEye Imagery.

The hardware and software would be a very easy for Garmin to produce and it would certainly make it past the iOS police since no other devices would be able to send or access information on the iPad but a Garmin GPS.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath. :cry

Cheers,

Emmbeedee 11-26-2011 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRTBYK (Post 17383459)
they could wirelessly share GPX data with any of the newer Garmin GPS's that support Wireless Transfer. Garmin could also extend the Transfer protocol to include other non-GPX data: like Photo's and BirdsEye Imagery,

I sure hope they don't choose to implement the wireless transfer method for that kind of application. I transferred a track between two Montanas that way the other day and it took about 10 minutes to do so. Granted it was a fairly large track but still... I don't understand why I couldn't use the usb connection I bought from Apple with my 'Camera Interface Kit'.

ericw 11-26-2011 09:23 AM

I don't even need the ability to transfer wirelessly to the - in this case - iPhone. Email puts it on the iPhone, then it automatically loads onto Motion-X.

I like the Basecamp application - it's taken some getting used to but the program has done pretty well beyond the lifetime of my three Garmin devices. Hoping for an iPad app that'll get 'er done - and maybe Garmin will make it? Now I'd pay $5 for that!

Thanks for your help all, If the Mapmaker app is (partly) what I need, I'll post up a review and let you know.

Happy Holidays!

DRTBYK 11-26-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmbeedee (Post 17384319)
I don't understand why I couldn't use the usb connection I bought from Apple with my 'Camera Interface Kit'.

I know that the Garmin wireless protocol is quite slow - just like their USB port (relatively speaking). The reason you can't use the USB Camera Kit adapter is because it will not provide the amount of current needed by Garmin's USB interface. But Garmin could work a deal with Apple to use Camera Kit's SD card interface IF it would only transfer from the iPad to the \Garmin\... volumes. Whether it's a Wireless Adapter or the microSD Card in the Camera Kit adapter, it won't be any time soon.

You of course can already transfer your Photo's from the microSD card (assuming you store them there) since Garmin writes them to the \DCIM\ (camera storage) volume. I transfer them to my iPad all the time when I'm out on the road.

I'm sure that between Garmin and Apple they could come to some acceptable architecture for this solution but Garmin doesn't move very fast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markjenn (Post 17383053)
There are mapping products for the iOS that will allow you to do routing on non-Garmin maps and export routes or tracks that you could eventually be used on the GPS. But if you're expecting a port of MapSource or Basecamp that will do all the Garmin platform-specific stuff such as build mapsets, produce GDB files, copy routes/tracks back and forth between the GPS and the PC, etc., I think that will be a long time coming, if ever, and if it does come, it will probably be from Garmin. A port of Basecamp between the OSX and iOS would be a huge undertaking.

You might get more useful information if you define what you want to do with the iPad.

- Mark

As for porting BaseCamp to iOS, I'd speculate that Garmin wouldn't do a direct port. Rather, they might use the Navigon source and make the necessary changes/additions for it to function like a planning tool (BaseCamp) and less like GPS software.

Cheers,

DRTBYK 11-26-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markjenn (Post 17383249)
It sounds like the heart of your problem is getting routes/tracks in/out of the GPS and then converting them over to a universal format such as GPX. From there, I would think any number of iPad mapping programs could do what you want.

You have the connectivity issue of getting from the GPS storage to the iPad storage and then the need for some kind of application to read Garmin's proprietary track log format and convert it. I'm not aware of anything for the iPad that will do these tasks for you. Sorry.

If you're not hung up on the iPad for its own sake, often the easiest way around these sorts of things is simply to buy a super-cheap used laptop or netbook for travels - then you can run Basecamp and have the whole enchilada. As stated earlier, Basecamp is available on the PC and in fact, is Garmin's choice for mapping apps moving forward.

- Mark

You're correct in that the biggest issue is getting connectivity between the iPad and Garmin GPS's. I'm not quite sure about the "Garmin proprietary track log format...". All of Garmin's current line (and most previous USB models) automatically save onboard data to GPX format and that's the only format used for "transfer".

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericw (Post 17383088)
I have to say I haven't even looked at Mapsource for probably 5+ years.

Unfortunately, I'm getting kicked off my wife's Basecamp-equipped Mac and have to search for other map editing digs and I'm hoping the iPad+app will be a possibility to create/export .gpx files.

Backpacker Magazine (w/Trimble?) has supposedly released their iPad compatible Mapmaker program. But it must be so new there's zero feedback except for Backpacker magazine's intro on their website. I sent the app developers an email asking them specifics to see if Mapmaker will work - but haven't heard back. If it's lacking on features, nice thing about a lot of these apps is they seem to move pretty fast on upgrades and other types of development.

Well, if not this Backpacker Magazine "Mapmaker" program, maybe we'll find something out there - I'm sure I can't be the only one looking for iPad-compatible mapping goodies!

I don't see anything in the Backpacker (Trimble) Map Maker app that will enable you to move your data from the iPad to the GPS. I doubt that Trimble is going to make any type of hardware adapter for Garmin GPS's.

Cheers,

markjenn 11-26-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRTBYK (Post 17386567)
I'm not quite sure about the "Garmin proprietary track log format...". All of Garmin's current line (and most previous USB models) automatically save onboard data to GPX format and that's the only format used for "transfer".

At least with the older GPS's I use, I thought Garmin's track data format was proprietary, but if they're saving to GPX now as the native format, that's good news.

- Mark

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:43 PM.