ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   TKC80s are brutal on the street: the saga continues (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746275)

CaliKarl 12-02-2011 06:30 PM

TKC80s are brutal on the street: the saga continues

Got the new tires on, and the wheels back on the bike. All set, finally. However, these TKCS are a nightmare on the street. Sure, they are new and may get better with time. But oh my, it is a certainty that I am going to fall. Leaning is out of the question. Turns that I used to take at 30mph on squared off Heidis with 9200 mi I took at under 15mph. I ride my bike everyday, street during the week and highway and dirt on the weekends. This is bad. And there is no 'getting used to them'; they will always be dangerous. Kudos to those of you who ride with these. I'll be hospitalized before I make it to any dirt. Wish me luck!

phideaux 12-02-2011 06:34 PM

Not what I experienced.........

oregoncoast 12-02-2011 06:36 PM

Totally not the norm.:dunno

Angryrican 12-02-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oregoncoast (Post 17431953)
Totally not the norm.:dunno

x2 I have a brand new set on mine and they worked fine today on a slab only ride

señormoto 12-02-2011 06:48 PM

what tire pressure are you running?

Maxacceleration 12-02-2011 06:52 PM

I have two large twin cylinder bikes with TKC's.
I can haul ass through the twisties on each bike.
Their wide flat knobs put a lot of surface down.
They work in the dirt too.
Get your tire pressures right...

TKC is a great tire IMO.

Boy Racer 12-02-2011 06:56 PM

Something’s not right there as I have had good experience on the tar with the TKs and was surprised on how quick in the corners these are. Also when I took these up the Gilles range on 1150 GSA in QLD with my sport bike mates, it pissed them off how quick I was on knobbies. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Have you done tyre pressures?<o:p></o:p>
Are they old stock that has been left in the weather?<o:p></o:p>
I am very cautious in the wet on the tar with them.<o:p></o:p>

mouthfulloflake 12-02-2011 07:03 PM

they do fine on dry pavement.

Just watch your rear brake usage if its raining... after about 500 miles that rear TKC is a slick MOFO on wet pavement.

AustinJake 12-02-2011 07:29 PM

I don't want to take my worn out TKC off the bike, it works so damn good on the pavement, and the wooden bridges too!

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/a...ncyBridge2.jpg

toro618 12-02-2011 08:08 PM

noway.....I think you're just fu'king around with us.

Illinois 12-02-2011 08:19 PM

Just wore out a set on a liter Strom. Was surprised how well they performed on pavement. Wasn't scrapin pegs but could still hustle through the twisties. :nod

picard 12-02-2011 08:28 PM

My TKCs are every bit as good on the tarmac as the "dual sport" street tires that came on the bike when it was new. And the TKCs are just about an order of magnitude better in the dirt.
I, too, think you must be just joking around with us...

betasigscoot 12-02-2011 08:53 PM

I liked the TKC's a LOT more than the Karoo T's. They sucked on pavement, and developed lots of teeny cracks within a couple months after the dealer mounted the tire.

sorebutt 12-02-2011 09:47 PM

I've had them on a couple of different bikes and love them. I can tell when I get the bike leaned the max because it starts vibrating when you get the the edge of the knobs. Lean it any further and you are going down.

Casejeep 12-02-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliKarl (Post 17431902)
Got the new tires on, and the wheels back on the bike. All set, finally. However, these TKCS are a nightmare on the street. Sure, they are new and may get better with time. But oh my, it is a certainty that I am going to fall. Leaning is out of the question. Turns that I used to take at 30mph on squared off Heidis with 9200 mi I took at under 15mph. I ride my bike everyday, street during the week and highway and dirt on the weekends. This is bad. And there is no 'getting used to them'; they will always be dangerous. Kudos to those of you who ride with these. I'll be hospitalized before I make it to any dirt. Wish me luck!

well im in SoCal, ill take them off your hands for free! ill even come pick them up, ill even take them off your bike!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:10 AM.