ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Rockies It's all downhill from here... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Denver Denizens-What's the deal with E470??? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746675)

AdvRonski 12-04-2011 12:58 PM

Denver Denizens-What's the deal with E470???

I usually try to avoid the Denver traffic Cluster-F**k, but to save time on my way home from the MB500 in Woodland Park, I just let my GPS get me home via the quickest route. When it routed me onto E470, I realized there would be some kind of toll, maybe a few bucks. But after a while I hit I76, and I don't remember any Toll Plaza, except at the exits. I just figured that through traffic got a break, until I got a letter instructing me to pay $29 or face eternal damnation.
What did I miss?

60wag 12-04-2011 01:04 PM

E470 is a toll road and it is an expensive one. They used to have toll booths where you'd stop and pay. They found that the ez-pass no stop system was cheaper so they did away with the toll booths. The ez-pass was initially for people would wanted to use the road with an account that would auto pay. The system works well enough that they don't need you to set up an account so now everyone on the road is charged without stopping (except at some of the exits.) There are signs on the road that give info but they are easy to miss.

thump_co 12-04-2011 01:24 PM

If you really want to piss someone off, borrow their car and run it back and forth a few times.

ER70S-2 12-04-2011 01:39 PM

I think they photo your license plate and send you a bill.

Downhill Dave 12-04-2011 01:53 PM

18.4 cents of tax/gallon just like 1994

:deal Infrastructure through privatization and direct taxation of users...

surly357 12-04-2011 02:15 PM

what surprised me was a toll for both my jeep and my trailer. at least the bike on the trailer didn't get billed too.....

Assfault 12-04-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surly357 (Post 17443695)
what surprised me was a toll for both my jeep and my trailer. at least the bike on the trailer didn't get billed too.....

I'm pretty sure it is per axle, hench the additional charge for the trailer.
This makes sense in the quest for more $, as a semi would get hit harder, as it tearing the raod up with more axle's, and more axle's mean more weight, in theory.

gfountain 12-04-2011 03:21 PM

The toll is 20% less if you have an account and a sticker. You have to deposit $35 into the account and maintain a positive balance. It may not be worth it if you don't use it often. I am on 470 only about once a month but it has worked for me. Check it out at https://www.expresstoll.com/PayingTo...pressToll.aspx if you are interested.

surly357 12-04-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assfault (Post 17444109)
I'm pretty sure it is per axle, hench the additional charge for the trailer.
This makes sense in the quest for more $, as a semi would get hit harder, as it tearing the raod up with more axle's, and more axle's mean more weight, in theory.

yeah, that's it. just never really thought about it until we got the bill. i couldn't figure out the second time i used e470, then my wife noticed the other plate number! :D

Coloradical 12-04-2011 04:47 PM

The crappy thing is that they don't give a discount for motorcycles. I wonder if they charge a hack as a third axle.

shearboy2004 12-04-2011 04:53 PM

I asked one of the guys that works there why the hell it is was so stupid expensive and he said they just don't want a huge volume of traffic out there , they don't want trucks and such at all.

Small volume, huge profit, low road repairs , makes sense if you own it I guess.

Blakebird 12-04-2011 05:21 PM

We live close to E-470 (couple miles south) and use it when we need to make time somewhere or want to avoid I-25 thru downtown coming home from the north. Jeanne used to use it daily on her commute into the DTC. We're close enough to I-25 to get dinged one toll, but it adds up. You can go halfway across Kansas for less money than here to Smoky Hill :bluduh :lol3

Yeah, the 'per axle' thing is a bit usurious when you're pulling a light bike trailer behind a car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-470

The toll rate on E-470, roughly 31 cents per mile, is one of the highest rates of any toll road in the United States

woodmnctry 12-04-2011 07:00 PM

Try dragging a triple axle through that money machine --- thought it was a grand idea to save time being late as usual -- then kazam!----here's ur bill --- Holly S__ht!! Batman!!

Dusty_Bottoms 12-04-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shearboy2004 (Post 17444793)
I asked one of the guys that works there why the hell it is was so stupid expensive and he said they just don't want a huge volume of traffic out there , they don't want trucks and such at all.

Small volume, huge profit, low road repairs , makes sense if you own it I guess.

That's the opposite of why I think they charge so much. When they first built the thing it was pretty cheap, like $7 to use the entire thing north/south but so few people use it they had to jack up the price to try and pay for it. I use it if I know Denver I-25 traffic is clustered up and it's worth the money to save an hour or two but I swear I never see more than 10 cars on it. It's going to take forever to pay for that thing. Having the express toll trigger is the cheapest way to go.

250senuf 12-04-2011 07:28 PM

Sounds like it's time for some James Bond type license plate holders. Running the toll road: flip it around to display the plate numbers of your "favorite" politician. :D
No need to thank me.:lol3

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:33 AM.