ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Boxer engine FULL of gas for 1.5 YEARS (shit) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746933)

petefromberkeley 12-05-2011 01:21 PM

Boxer engine FULL of gas for 1.5 YEARS (shit)

Title says it. I parked my R100 GS a year and a half ago and last night went out to change the oil (just because it had been sitting) and give it some love in general. I have the alcohol resistant carb kit on it which has no overflow. So apparantly one of the carb needles didn't seat right and ALSO the petcock was closed but leaked and the top end filled with gas, leaked past the rings and filled the engine. I opened the drain plug expecting oil to come out and a gallon of gas/oil gushed out. I cursed a bunch and filled it with motor oil and that's it. Soooooooooooooooooooo

What do I do? How bad do you guys think this is? I haven't started it yet.

I can't imagine if the gas would have gotten into places that oil does not. I saw some gaskets weeping gas that never leaked oil. Jeeze, what manner of damage to you think this will cause? I guess it's better than water in there- or is it? Shit, I just don't know.

This isn't the first time this stupid alcohol proof float kit has given me trouble, but it is definitely the last. That junk is outta here- back to stock.

Thanks in advance.

Barman 12-05-2011 01:27 PM

Not really much that can be done, depends on how proactive you want to be.
If I were in the same place I'd change oil and filter, get it running properly and sort issues out as/if they arise. Change the oil after the first 100 miles or so. Could have done no damage at all.

bikerfish 12-05-2011 03:08 PM

I'd go with what barman says. change the oil and filter run it for a few miles, change oil and filter again. I'd just ride it and play it by ear, unless you are planning a long trip in the not too distant future, then I'd buy something else to ride and worry about the gas filled engine later!

petefromberkeley 12-05-2011 03:18 PM

Thanks. Yeah, that's about what I was thinking unless someone here tells me that I have probably washed the lubrication out of some bearings or some such thing. For example, the cylinder walls have had any oil coating washed off by the gas- maybe spraying a little oil in prior to firing it up would be beneficial? Of course, I don't want to dismantle it if I don't have to, but I don't want to grenade- or even seriously age, the engne if I don't have to.

Barman 12-05-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petefromberkeley (Post 17451601)
Thanks. Yeah, that's about what I was thinking unless someone here tells me that I have probably washed the lubrication out of some bearings or some such thing. For example, the cylinder walls have had any oil coating washed off by the gas- maybe spraying a little oil in prior to firing it up would be beneficial? Of course, I don't want to dismantle it if I don't have to, but I don't want to grenade- or even seriously age, the engne if I don't have to.

You could pull the plugs and fog with oil the cylinders prior. Crank it over with the plugs out to let it build some oil pressure then go from there.
I'm sure some model specific pros will jump in here with some wisdom.

Martian 12-05-2011 03:27 PM

I would pull the plugs and spin the motor, using the starter, and circulate the oil before starting it. Might want to do it outside just in case they're are fumes trapped in the engine.

What he said!

JZed 12-05-2011 03:46 PM

Oil can pre prime???

Pete
Just an idea. I always primed the oil galleries of the car engines I built.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to drain the gas/oil, and then pull the oil pressure sensor under the left cylinder and replace it with an adapter to prime the oil gallery with some fresh oil before turning the engine over. One could use a small fuel line type hose from a oil can (hand pump kind) to the adapter and start pumping away. Pump a few oil can containers through to remove any gas/oil out and get some fresh oil to the bearings and then turn the engine over a few times by hand and pump in a couple more cans. This all might take awhile, but I think getting fresh oil in the galleries would be a good thing. The gas has a way of removing all of the lubrication out of things that might leave them unprotected on the first few revolutions under power. It might also be a good idea to drop the pan and pull the valve covers.

I have an adapter out in the garage. Made it from a bolt from NAPA. Will dig it out after supper.

Damn alcohol floats. Oak has a big German word for these kind of mods, "Schliemerverbesserung" which translates roughly as "Smaller Improvement" or more accurately "Bad Idea". Love that word.

What say you inmates???

JZed
SC
'86 R80
'92 R100GS
'06 KLR650

disston 12-05-2011 03:47 PM

You haven't washed the oil out of any bearings but the piston on the side that had the gas go through is lacking oil. A little oil squirted into the spark plug hole and rotating engine would take care of this. Or it could be left as is. The piston doesn't need much oil I think.

I think I would want to take off the oil pan and clean it. Then I could look inside. I think everything will be OK but this would allay those feelings of mysterious happening where I couldn't see them So I'd want to look.

I would definitely crank this motor over with the plugs out, make sure you ground the plugs or the wires, to get all the left over gas out of the combustion chamber before firing. Liquid gas in the cylinder will cause damage, if enough.

Charlie

petefromberkeley 12-05-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZed (Post 17451804)
Pete
Just an idea. I always primed the oil galleries of the car engines I built.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to drain the gas/oil, and then pull the oil pressure sensor under the left cylinder and replace it with an adapter to prime the oil gallery with some fresh oil before turning the engine over. One could use a small fuel line type hose from a oil can (hand pump kind) to the adapter and start pumping away. Pump a few oil can containers through to remove any gas/oil out and get some fresh oil to the bearings and then turn the engine over a few times by hand and pump in a couple more cans. This all might take awhile, but I think getting fresh oil in the galleries would be a good thing. The gas has a way of removing all of the lubrication out of things that might leave them unprotected on the first few revolutions under power. It might also be a good idea to drop the pan and pull the valve covers.

I have an adapter out in the garage. Made it from a bolt from NAPA. Will dig it out after supper.

Damn alcohol floats. Oak has a big German word for these kind of mods, "Schliemerverbesserung" which translates roughly as "Smaller Improvement" or more accurately "Bad Idea". Love that word.

What say you inmates???

JZed
SC
'86 R80
'92 R100GS
'06 KLR650

Thanks. This is not my everyday ride anymore, so I have plenty of time and energy to do it right. Even if it is mostly a piece of mind thing. I wouldn't mind just running it for a minute or two and then changing the oil and starting fresh.

petefromberkeley 12-05-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disston (Post 17451821)
I would definitely crank this motor over with the plugs out, make sure you ground the plugs or the wires, to get all the left over gas out of the combustion chamber before firing. Liquid gas in the cylinder will cause damage, if enough.

Charlie

[QUOTE] Damn alcohol floats. Oak has a big German word for these kind of mods, "Schliemerverbesserung" which translates roughly as "Smaller Improvement" or more accurately "Bad Idea". Love that word.[QUOTE]

The first time this happened it was just the cylinders that filled so it wouldn't crank over (petro-locked). I pulled the plugs with the intention of cranking the starter and expelling the gas. I was told to ground the plug wires, so having forgotten what spark plugs are for, I stuck them in their caps and cranked the starter. The starter motor expelled the 1000 cc of gas, the spark plugs sparked and my damn motorcycle burst into flames. And that was in Uzbekistan with only three days left on my visa, so let me tell you- I have HAD it with this stupid carb kit (I have had it with bone head manuvers like setting my own bike on fire too, but I am pretty much stuck wit being a bonehead :lol3).

disston 12-05-2011 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=petefromberkeley;17452206]
Quote:

I pulled the plugs with the intention of cranking the starter and expelling the gas. I was told to ground the plug wires, so having forgotten what spark plugs are for, I stuck them in their caps and cranked the starter. The starter motor expelled the 1000 cc of gas, the spark plugs sparked and my damn motorcycle burst into flames. And that was in Uzbekistan with only three days left on my visa, so let me tell you- I have HAD it with this stupid carb kit (I have had it with bone head manuvers like setting my own bike on fire too, but I am pretty much stuck wit being a bonehead :lol3).
OOPS. I will try to remember to include this. Yes please ground the plug wires and not the spark plugs.

Charlie :cry

red bud 12-05-2011 04:54 PM

sounds like it's now a boat anchor, out of the kindest of my heart i can be there in the morning and remove your problem for u

:evil
just trying to help

red bud 12-05-2011 04:56 PM

these things (airheads) seem to take all kinds of abuse and keep on ticking

good luck:D

petefromberkeley 12-05-2011 05:16 PM

[QUOTE=disston;17452315]
Quote:

Originally Posted by petefromberkeley (Post 17452206)

OOPS. I will try to remember to include this. Yes please ground the plug wires and not the spark plugs.

Charlie :cry

Shouldn't be necesary, but here we are :deal

petefromberkeley 12-05-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red bud (Post 17452331)
these things (airheads) seem to take all kinds of abuse and keep on ticking

good luck:D

Well, I have determined through experientation that these bikes are pretty fire resistant :lol3

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:54 PM.