ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   2 smokers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   bultaco metralla, what would you pay? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749377)

mtothef 12-15-2011 09:33 AM

bultaco metralla, what would you pay?

Now that the garage full of Yamaha thumpers is relatively stable, I'm feeling the itch for an old two stroke street bike. There are a few different RD350, R5, DS7 options kicking around my locale at the moment in various states of degradation. But for reasons that are probably best left unexplored, I have a real hankering for a Bultaco Metralla.

There's a mk8 200 for sale on the local craigslist, running, ratty, mostly together. Dude is asking $3300 for it. That seems steep, but then again this is one of the first gen Metrallas, and therefore might somehow be more valuable in some eyes. There are also scads of Bultaco dirt bikes from the 70s around, and the trend seems to be that Pursangs fetch a lot of coin, Alpinas don't, and Matadors tend to vary greatly depending on condition and state of delusion on the seller's part. But info about Metrallas, and what they may or may not be worth, seems scarce.

For my part, I am not concerned about collectibility. I want a small-bore two stroke street bike, totally happy doing a frame up rebuild if need be, but intend to have a bike to ride as opposed to show. But I haven't really been paying attention to the old bike market aside from occasionally gasping in pain when I see shitty old motocross bikes being flogged for $4k on craigslist, and Metrallas aren't too common around here, so I don't know what the general range of worth might be.

What words of wisdom do the sage heads here have on the subject? What should a mid-California grease monkey expect to fork over for his next mid-life crisis aversion project?

Rich B 12-15-2011 09:42 AM

Metralla's are not cheap...anywhere. :eek1 If they are equipped with an "America" kit, the price goes even higher.

The more complete the better. And verify the M numbers on frame and engine are real live Metralla M numbers before you fork over your coin. There are similar models using similar engines/frames that people are flogging as Metralla's.

chazbird 12-15-2011 09:47 AM

I did the curious about Metralla shopping in the very early 90's, and like you, in the general bay area. Good, running, original, clean ones, the few I came across were in the $4000 range. (A couple were for sale at Sears point classic shows/races). Those are 20 year old prices, so I am not sure what additive there might be.

blaine.hale 12-15-2011 10:15 AM

Man, who wouldn't pay over 3k for such a beautiful machine:

http://cl.ly/2Q3r1t240d0F1Q0B1y0H/Sc...14.31%20PM.png

PSchrauber 12-15-2011 10:33 AM

A Bultaco Metralla Kit American, from the 60 to 70's complete, is around 5,000 - 6,000 up to 7,500 here,
(depending the overall status of the bike).

Newer models in decent status from around 3,000 to 5.000 in their homeland, (Spain).

Replicas made out of Metralla engine and Mercurio frames are around 2,500 .

So 3,300 $ sounds good, but have some personal problems with Metralla and MK8, which year is the Bul made?

east high 12-15-2011 11:53 AM

What's the American kit? My friend has an original condition Metralla with stock bars and factory clip-ons that are in the original box. It's a sweet bike.

bgoodsoil 12-15-2011 12:07 PM

dammit people, stop with the Bultaco threads until I get money :umph

mtothef 12-15-2011 12:33 PM

thanks

good input, people. thanks for the perspective.

pschrauber, my apologies. not a mk8, i meant to type model 8. 200cc 4 speed, do not know the year, it is missing side panels and the tank has a questionable repaint, but if i was to guess, i would think it is 1965. will know more after i talk some with the seller...

lemieuxmc 12-15-2011 12:36 PM

Metralla are so rare that you will be paying plenty if you can find one (unless you mow the lawn for a senile grandma with one in the garage under an old blanket).

If you just want to buzz around on a 2 stroke for cheap thrills, prowl CL and go Japanese.

I love the smell of race gas in the morning, it's like... VICTORY!

mtothef 12-15-2011 02:54 PM

now where's the fun in that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieuxmc (Post 17523369)
If you just want to buzz around on a 2 stroke for cheap thrills, prowl CL and go Japanese.

you are assuming that i possess common sense.

okay, talked a bit with the owner - no paperwork at all, bike runs, rims are straight, everything works, tank is straight but has had a later model gas cap welded into place, might be slightly negotiable on price, but is unwilling to talk much on the phone.

hmmm...

http://images.craigslist.org/5Q45W45...0cec111010.jpg

Sniper X 12-15-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtothef (Post 17524400)
you are assuming that i possess common sense.

okay, talked a bit with the owner - no paperwork at all, bike runs, rims are straight, everything works, tank is straight but has had a later model gas cap welded into place, might be slightly negotiable on price, but is unwilling to talk much on the phone.

hmmm...

http://images.craigslist.org/5Q45W45...0cec111010.jpg

Looked at the ad....go buy it because this is the LAST time you'll see one for that price that isn't totally hashed out. Even if you have to flip it after some TLC you'll make money.

stainlesscycle 12-15-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper X (Post 17524490)
Looked at the ad....go buy it because this is the LAST time you'll see one for that price that isn't totally hashed out. Even if you have to flip it after some TLC you'll make money.

or you could ride it around, and fall in love with it. i was working on one for a friend, got it running, went for a spin, the instant i got off the bike, i called and asked him if he would like to sell it. they ride NICE.

Sniper X 12-15-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle (Post 17524580)

or you could ride it around, and fall in love with it. i was working on one for a friend, got it running, went for a spin, the instant i got off the bike, i called and asked him if he would like to sell it. they ride NICE.

Of course that IS what is going to happen. :rofl

stainlesscycle 12-15-2011 03:20 PM

plus it's got spain's version of oil injection :rofl

mtothef 12-15-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper X (Post 17524490)

i was afraid someone would come along and say that.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:59 AM.