ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   EMEA (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   heres how to get a Europe Green card (insurance) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755598)

rtwdoug 01-11-2012 08:51 AM

heres how to get a Europe Green card (insurance)

Poly & I have FINALLY found a Bulgarian insurance company that will sell green card insurance to us for people with bikes not EU registered!

cost is
60 euros 1 month
100 euros 2 months
140 euros 3 months

3 months at a time is the limit. but it can be renewed.
this is valid for all the EU countries, doesnt include non EU like Ukraine, Serbia, etc. (this is the same insurance as mototouring offers)
I've used it the last few years, & had no problems.
we will need a scanned copy of the bike document with tag number & VIN
and a copy of your passport or drivers license
(or if you have an expired green card, the info needed is on there)
we will scan & email you a copy of the green card, and snail mail the hard copy to you, anywhere in the world.
(the last 2 years I've passed German customs at the airport with just the scanned copy)

email me at motocampbg@yahoo.com if interested.

Doug

High Country Herb 01-11-2012 10:17 AM

What if the bike is registered in the EU, but the rider has a foreign license? I'll have to check to see if my insurance covers me overseas, but I may be looking for EU insurance if they don't.

MichaelJ 01-12-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtwdoug (Post 17723150)
cost is
60 euros 1 month

Damn, Doug!

That's just a bit over half of what ADAC wants these days (105 euro/month)

Bell driver 01-17-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Country Herb (Post 17723960)
What if the bike is registered in the EU, but the rider has a foreign license? I'll have to check to see if my insurance covers me overseas, but I may be looking for EU insurance if they don't.

A bike cannot be registered in the EU without proof of insurance.
Whatever accident the bike causes is covered by the insurance no matter who the driver is or where he is licensed.
The driver would be covered by his health insurance.

rtwdoug 01-17-2013 07:53 AM

Just wanted to bump this, for the folks that dont want to pay 100 euros a month from adac. or maybe its 120 now?

our prices are the same as before.

Doug

High Country Herb 01-17-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell driver (Post 17770533)
Whatever accident the bike causes is covered by the insurance no matter who the driver is or where he is licensed.

So it sounds like a rental company would have to cover their own bikes.

rtwdoug 01-17-2013 09:33 AM

if you rent a bike in europe, it comes with the liability insurance, its part of the rental fee.
they may ask if you want to add comprehension, which will cover you for theft/damage to the bike?
but I dont know.
Ive never rented a bike there.

Doug

lhendrik 01-18-2013 04:21 PM

Doug, that is a great service you are offering at a great price. I will go with you next Spring when I ride again in Europe. Much better than the ADAC price I paid in 2012.

May-June 2012: Germay, Switz, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Austria
Oct-Nov 2012: Germany, Switz, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo, Almost Serbia, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Bulgaria, Serbia, etc.
2013 Plan: Germany, UK, Scandinavia, St. Petersburg, Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Ukraine, etc

pelvis_98 01-19-2013 09:52 AM

Whats your recommendation for the Ukraine and Serbia for insurance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtwdoug (Post 17723150)
Poly & I have FINALLY found a Bulgarian insurance company that will sell green card insurance to us for people with bikes not EU registered!

cost is
60 euros 1 month
100 euros 2 months
140 euros 3 months

3 months at a time is the limit. but it can be renewed.
this is valid for all the EU countries, doesnt include non EU like Ukraine, Serbia, etc. (this is the same insurance as mototouring offers)
I've used it the last few years, & had no problems.
we will need a scanned copy of the bike document with tag number & VIN
and a copy of your passport or drivers license
(or if you have an expired green card, the info needed is on there)
we will scan & email you a copy of the green card, and snail mail the hard copy to you, anywhere in the world.
(the last 2 years I've passed German customs at the airport with just the scanned copy)

email me at motocampbg@yahoo.com if interested.

Doug

rtwdoug 01-19-2013 02:40 PM

non EU countries you buy at the border.
Serbia will break it off in you, around 100 usd for a 30 day minimum.

I usually just try to get thru the border without it. sometimes they ask to see it, sometimes they dont. Sometimes they look at it, but dont notice SRB has a big X on it, meaning its not covered.

Ukraine, much cheaper, I've paid 3-30 usd for a month. (I think the 3.00 time was a screw up on their part, but Im always nice enough to not point out any deficiencies they may have, involving math)
(unless of course, they over charge me :evil )

I ALWAYS get it for ukraine. the cops there are legendary. they will probably stop you, and if you dont have it, they will be happy, because then they can fine you.
If you do have it, they will try to fine you for something else.
if you did nothing wrong, dont pay them. If you did do something wrong, try not to pay them. at least waste so much of their time that the 100 usd fine drops to about 5usd :D

Doug

wheatwhacker 01-24-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell driver (Post 17770533)

The question he asked was, can you cover a bike purchased in Europe with European plates ridden by a us licensed rider.
Reg is not an issue.

MichaelJ 02-11-2013 02:46 AM

Green Card from Doug's source came in Friday. Painless and great service.

Thanks.

lhendrik 02-11-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelJ (Post 20698162)
Green Card from Doug's source came in Friday. Painless and great service.

Thanks.

Thanks for the update. Glad it is set up and working. Great to have an alternative to ADAC.

That said, has anyone got live experience with what happens in the case of an incident where the insurance comes into play, like crashing your bike into a donkey cart in a small town where no one speaks your language? Is the procedure to call (800 number?) the incident in to your insurer, of course after showing all your paper to the police?

Just curious, I realize that the local townspeople will probably stone you to death if you kill their donkey. This Summer, in Macedonia I ran into the rear bumper of a car with my aluminum pannier and the driver was amazed I even stopped to deal with it. I had minor damage to my case (dent I fixed manually), he couldn't find any damage in the beat up crap mobile he was driving. Might have been different with a $100,000 Mercedes in Switzerland :)

Ken Fritz 02-18-2013 06:59 AM

Yes on Green Card for US license

Wheatwacker's comment: "The question he asked was, can you cover a bike purchased in Europe with European plates ridden by a us licensed rider."

Answer: Yes.

I bought Green Card insurance from Doug and Polly last year for my bike which is registered in Ireland (thanks Wheatwacker!). I'll buy it from them again this year, too. The only problem is that this insurance is no good in the country of registration (Ireland for my bike) .

Last year in Spain (Cataluna) I had to show my Green Card and license to the cops. No problem - they checked the insurance, registration, my CA license and International Driving Permit and we had no problems at all. This was about parking in the wrong spot - we just showed them all the papers, smiled, moved the bike and spent the rest of the day on the beach.

rtwdoug 02-18-2013 07:26 AM

Hi Ken
I didnt know it wasnt covered in the country of registration? thats odd.
I think it would work ok if you were stopped by the police & had to show it to them, but not if you were in a wreck & had to use it?

Doug

Oh, glad it worked ok for you

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:52 PM.