ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alaska (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Heidenau K60 Tire Review (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771152)

TSD 03-08-2012 07:34 PM

Heidenau K60 Tire Review

This thread may get bumped to the "Equipment" section, but with so much discussion on tires to and from AK (Dalton, Dempster, etc...) and the general endorsement of many shops in Ak for these tires, I thought this review might be of interest:

http://cjdesignsllc.wordpress.com/20...on-a-big-bike/

beamertwin 03-09-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSD (Post 18171168)
This thread may get bumped to the "Equipment" section, but with so much discussion on tires to and from AK (Dalton, Dempster, etc...) and the general endorsement of many shops in Ak for these tires, I thought this review might be of interest:

http://cjdesignsllc.wordpress.com/20...on-a-big-bike/

Thanks for the link. Great road evaluation.

AK Bob 03-09-2012 10:38 AM

So Far So Good

The first set is on the '88 R100GS. Havn't put enough miles on them to have a clue what will happen long term. First impression running on a mix of pavement and dirt and up to the Arctic Circle, I like them.

One of the Fairbanks Airheads put them on his '83 R100rt.

When we get enough information we will make another report.

KHuddy 03-09-2012 10:47 AM

Annie ran them on her F650GS, including across the Top of the World last year in some very sloppy conditions. They are a good comprimise between something like a TKC at one end and a tourance at the other. With about 2500 miles on them her rear has squared off a bit: I'm told that is at least in part due to running too high a pressure in them.

ColininKodiak 03-09-2012 12:28 PM

I put a set on my 90 R100GSPD last year. They were awesome in Kodiak for the spring and summer dual sport rides. I have about 500 miles on them now and love them. The two complaints I would give about them is the front was a royal pain in the ass to mount. I cut the bead 4 times using a tire machine and it took three of us with irons plus the machine to get them on. If I ever get a flat with them on the road I am convinced I will be unable to get it off with irons to repair. The other complaint is that they are very noisy compared to both Sahara 3s and TKC's I ride 100% on the road now here in FL and I have to wear earplugs if I go above 45 mph because the howl is so loud and at just the right pitch to cause headaches very quickly. I'd say they are a great tire for more dual sport oriented riding, but for what I am doing now (not by choice btw, FL just sucks for riding) I'd be better off with something like a Tourance.

Brendon@TMS 03-10-2012 02:37 PM

Interesting in reading the responses on these tires.

I contacted the manufacture about trying to carry them, but it was tough to make any headway. And the fact that they aren't carried by any of the big suppliers compounds the difficulty to stock these tires.

I'd be interested to hear what some of the BMW F/G bike guys think, and the KLR folks too.

bug67 03-10-2012 04:00 PM

I had a brand new set mounted on the Tiger right before I put it up. I trucked the bike over to TMS to have them mounted (did some Tiger engine programming and some other stuff) and trucked it back home. As soon as I get a chance to ride on them, I will. There's a lot of stuff I'm waiting for. Don't know how the tune I had done is gonna be. Don't know how the K60s are gonna be. Don't know how the new wind screen is gonna be.

I can't wait! :D

Brendon@TMS 03-10-2012 04:13 PM

I feel as though that tune could cause you a shorter lifespan on those tires, usually wheelies, burnouts and the lot are bad for tire wear, haha.

AKTREADs 03-10-2012 04:17 PM

May I add-
All three are a class act-no stone went un-turned.
CJ engineers/manufactures awesome parts for the KTM's.
The winch set-up is quite ingenious!!!!!!!!!

Matt's, Ardie's & CJ's Heidenau K60's were mounted & not balanced for the first 1000mi from Fbks to Deadhorse to Fbks.

All three were experienced & trying to destroy the Heidenau K60 tires.
CJ on his custom KTM 950 2WD Christini(sp) from Fbks to Deadhorse to Fbks.
Ardie @ 6"9"(tall Aussie) & 275Lb on his KTM 950 did have a couple small pieces missing from 2 wheel drifting the 1000mi round trip.
Matt, being the lightest rider, tires looked the best of the three from the round trip.

_cy_ 03-10-2012 04:22 PM

ordered a set about two weeks ago .. some shipping snafu delayed. so hopefully 3-4 weeks to me. likely by then I'll be on the road.

K-60
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...eidenauk60.jpg

Cal 03-10-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKTREADs (Post 18185364)
May I add-
All three are a class act-no stone went un-turned.
CJ engineers/manufactures awesome parts for the KTM's.
The winch set-up is quite ingenious!!!!!!!!!

Matt's, Ardie's & CJ's Heidenau K60's were mounted & not balanced for the first 1000mi from Fbks to Deadhorse to Fbks.

All three were experienced & trying to destroy the Heidenau K60 tires.
CJ on his custom KTM 950 2WD Christini(sp) from Fbks to Deadhorse to Fbks.
Ardie @ 6"9"(tall Aussie) & 275Lb on his KTM 950 did have a couple small pieces missing from 2 wheel drifting the 1000mi round trip.
Matt, being the lightest rider, tires looked the best of the three from the round trip.

You brought back memories from my ride to Deadhorse. While camping at Coldfoot, I had dinner with Ardie and a funnier site you will never see!! I am 5'4" and 140lbs sitting beside him was humbling.
I also used K60's which I bought at Adventurecycle works.

slammer218 03-11-2012 09:42 AM

Which way

Just bought a set of Mefo tires for a trip to the great Alaska and D2D days. I have heard that if you mount the front tire backwards it works better in the dirt. Does anyone hear know if that is true. This is the second rear tire and I love it. Just want to make sure I mount the front the way that will perform the best.

AKTREADs 03-11-2012 11:32 AM

The Mefo 90/90-21 front tread,by design does run backwards.
Check Direction Arrows on sidewall !
The Heidenau K60 90/90-21 front tread, by design runs conventional.

The Mefo tread is slightly softer than Heidenau K60 tread.
DO Not OVER INFLATE.
Size/Load/Speed/Pressure rating is on the sidewall!!!!

A V groove/chevron design front tire tread is designed to hold material.
Where as a drive tire is designed to displace material for better traction.

Case in point-
Mount a chevron type tractor/backhoe/loader tire backwards pulling material into the tire-
The unit won't pull the hat off your head.
Mount a chevron tire directional to displace material from under the tire-
Bingo,traction.

AKTREADs 03-11-2012 02:03 PM

Heidenau K60's in pic above are mounted correctly by design.

Mefo 90/90-21 runs opposite by design.

_cy_ 03-11-2012 09:22 PM

here's a few more sources in USA

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Less Harley (Post 18189698)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martian (Post 18190507)

Quote:

Originally Posted by _cy_ (Post 18191808)
thanks for all the additional sources!

basin motorcycleworks has 90 90 21 in stock for $76. which is much less than I just paid from another ADV dealer.

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="width:44.4pt;border:solid windowtext .5pt; border-top:none;mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; height:.25in" valign="bottom" width="59">
</td> <td style="width:97.5pt;border-top:none;border-left: none;border-bottom:solid windowtext .5pt;border-right:solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .5pt; padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;height:.25in" valign="bottom" width="130"> Heidenau
</td> <td style="width:97.5pt;border-top:none;border-left: none;border-bottom:solid windowtext .5pt;border-right:solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .5pt; padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;height:.25in" valign="bottom" width="130"> K60
</td> <td style="width:109.2pt;border-top:none;border-left: none;border-bottom:solid windowtext .5pt;border-right:solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .5pt; padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;height:.25in" valign="bottom" width="146">
90/90-21
</td> <td style="width:70.2pt;border-top:none;border-left: none;border-bottom:solid windowtext .5pt;border-right:solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .5pt; padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;height:.25in" valign="bottom" width="94" align="right">
$76
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:17 PM.