ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Weird tickets and lessons learned. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780681)

svs 04-10-2012 01:48 PM

Weird tickets and lessons learned.
 
Motorcycles are small and maneuverable. As such they go places cars can't. There are also laws on the books for doing almost anything you can think of with regards to the operation of your motor vehicle.

I've learned you're not suppose to drive on the sidewalks even though the law says you can do it to "access adjacent property."

And this past weekend I learned when you see "cones and barriers" they represent something stronger than: If you can squeeze through yer good to go. Nope. And no written message like "Rode Closed" needs to be present.

What lessons have you learned on a BIKE that you might not have had you been in 4-wheel vehicle?

ricochetrider 04-10-2012 02:04 PM

I've learned that when you have a collision with a car on a M/C, it hurts a LOT more than it does if you have a collision with a car while IN a car.

lemieuxmc 04-10-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svs (Post 18424601)
Motorcycles are small and maneuverable. As such they go places cars can't. There are also laws on the books for doing almost anything you can think of with regards to the operation of your motor vehicle.

I've learned you're not suppose to drive on the sidewalks even though the law says you can do it to "access adjacent property."

And this past weekend I learned when you see "cones and barriers" they represent something stronger than: If you can squeeze through yer good to go. Nope. And no written message like "Rode Closed" needs to be present.

What lessons have you learned on a BIKE that you might not have had you been in 4-wheel vehicle?


If you got a ticket for going through the cones I would like to see the vehicle code section and the report.

bomber1965 04-10-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieuxmc (Post 18425611)
If you got a ticket for going through the cones I would like to see the vehicle code section and the report.


Disobedience to a traffic control device.

mrduck 04-10-2012 04:51 PM

They seem to have very little tolerance towards wheelstanding across the parking lot while waving at your buddies.....:wave

lethe 04-10-2012 04:58 PM

passing a tractor trailer on a double yellow with a long clear view ahead isn't ok even when there are ripped bags of sand on the trailer blowing sand back at you

dolomoto 04-10-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomber1965 (Post 18425717)
Disobedience to a traffic control device.

:deal


A coworker turned left in a lane with a "right turn" arrow. His ticket: "Failure to obey traffic control device". And since it was on post, his name and offense got listed in the base newspaper.

mattjw916 04-10-2012 05:41 PM

kicking a cone or trying to pick up something on the road at speed is never a good idea...

an overly exuberant launch from a stop light will get you a warning/ticket even if you didn't speed or do a wheelie in the process...

if your "friends" are doing something stupid and take off, the cops just might pull you over for no reason and yell at you because your friends were being jackasses and they knew they couldn't catch them if they tried... it's just best to agree with whatever they say at that point because you probably won't be cited if your papers are in order...

car94 04-10-2012 06:54 PM

C&I for going between stopped cars on a 5 lane rd to go around a stopped semi that was blocking both lanes. The cop did not even see it happen, a twat in a mini van called 911 and reported that I was flying through stopped traffic. After I got past the semi I stopped at QT and there was already a cop sitting there, so he walked over asked if it was me. I said no and he called dispatch for a description of the bike and rider. It just so happened that the description matched me to a T. My next response was "Yea I'm the only guy in MO with a White MC, Red Jacket and blue jeans. So then he had the dispatch send the bitch over and she IDed me. I still denied it and he wrote a C&I ticket. So I paid a lawyer 200 to make it a equipment violation. Total cost about $425.00

The lesson I learned was not to stop so close to a spot that I just violated several traffic laws because some busy body twat may have called the cops!:deal

YOUNZ 04-11-2012 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by car94 (Post 18427140)
C&I for going between stopped cars on a 5 lane rd to go around a stopped semi that was blocking both lanes. The cop did not even see it happen, a twat in a mini van called 911 and reported that I was flying through stopped traffic. After I got past the semi I stopped at QT and there was already a cop sitting there, so he walked over asked if it was me. I said no and he called dispatch for a description of the bike and rider. It just so happened that the description matched me to a T. My next response was "Yea I'm the only guy in MO with a White MC, Red Jacket and blue jeans. So then he had the dispatch send the bitch over and she IDed me. I still denied it and he wrote a C&I ticket. So I paid a lawyer 200 to make it a equipment violation. Total cost about $425.00

The lesson I learned was not to stop so close to a spot that I just violated several traffic laws because some busy body twat may have called the cops!:deal

That's getting close to the quip, that a Perp always returns to the scene of the crime. Only in this case, you never left!

Yossarian™ 04-11-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by car94 (Post 18427140)
So then he had the dispatch send the bitch over and she IDed me.

At the point where he called dispatch, I'd have asked if I was under arrest or am free to leave.

Moto-Kafe 04-11-2012 07:27 AM

Not cited yet, but I hear LEO's don't like it when an ADV Rider stands up on the footpegs to stretch while moving.........???? Let's see a H-D Rider do THAT !!!!!!!!

Offcamber 04-11-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yossarian™ (Post 18429848)
At the point where he called dispatch, I'd have asked if I was under arrest or am free to leave.

They still can detain you at that point....probable cause since he matched the description. Cop must have been bored that day to go through all that trouble.

Offcamber 04-11-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark444 (Post 18430185)
Not cited yet, but I hear LEO's don't like it when an ADV Rider stands up on the footpegs to stretch while moving.........???? Let's see a H-D Rider do THAT !!!!!!!!


I got strobes flashed at me for doing that and the cop waved his hand as to say (sit down)....which I did....no sense provoking them.

JimVonBaden 04-11-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricochetrider (Post 18424727)
I've learned that when you have a collision with a car on a M/C, it hurts a LOT more than it does if you have a collision with a car while IN a car.

That is a law! "The Law of Gross Tonnage!"

Jim :brow


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014