ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   2 smokers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   1980 Yamaha YZ465 Marty Moates Replica... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782201)

athomerecords25 04-15-2012 06:40 PM

1980 Yamaha YZ465 Marty Moates Replica...
 
I am new to Adventure Rider. I am the owner of a 1976 Yamaha YZ125, 1980 Yamaha YZ465 and a 1983 Yamaha YZ490.

I am currently building a 1980 Yamaha YZ465 Marty Moates Replica. I am going all out. Yellow Fork Legs and all. I have the motor out at the moment and am going to be splitting the cases as soon as my Case Splitter comes is delivered some time next week.

I will also be resplitting the cases on my 1983 Yamaha YZ490 Broc Glover Replica. Last time I paid an arm and a leg to have a guy split the cases. This time I am just going to get the Case Splitter and do it myself.

I love these Vintage Yamahas. I will keep everyone informed along the way. Also if anyone has any old YZ465 or 1980 thru 1981 Yamaha YZ250 parts that they would like to donate please let me know.

wfopete 04-15-2012 06:43 PM

I'm rebuilding an 465G model also. Got a lot of little Yamaha parts thru tucker Rocky. Oh yeah, while you have it apart make sure you stroke the motor too.

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=21039.0

nachtflug 04-15-2012 07:44 PM

http://nachtflug.smugmug.com/Vintage...037202&k=k6fLz

nachtflug 04-15-2012 08:24 PM

great stuff. 2 threads on the YZ 465. definitely a bike that raised the bar though it seems the bar was being raised pretty regularly back then.

Unadilla is having a VMX this June, I'll be there taking pics.

good luck with your project. Moates really showed them how it was done that day, a great story about how he was totally in sync with that track and heat and put it to the best in the world.

Shocktower 04-16-2012 03:19 PM

I have hung out with him in So Cal to bad he is gone :cry great guy

ctune80 04-16-2012 04:44 PM

Those were more than Yellow fork legs, they were trick Simons forks.

Here is a link to a Cycle News article about Marty's LOP bike. It actually displaced 493cc!
http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/fr...27-07-09-2010/

I'm a 465 owner too, mines an H model 1981. Bought it new, back in the day, influenced by Marty's win
and all of the magazine raves no doubt!

In 1983 I was stationed at Great Lakes IL (Navy) I met a few of the LOP gang, including Craig Anderson
one of the guys that built Marty's bike. Never met Laurens Offner, but the guys at the Suzuki shop I hung
out at, shared many tales of the exploits at LOP!

Here's my bike in '82 at Carlsbad.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n...m/YZ_Flyin.jpg

athomerecords25 04-16-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfopete (Post 18465231)
I'm rebuilding an 465G model also. Got a lot of little Yamaha parts thru tucker Rocky. Oh yeah, while you have it apart make sure you stroke the motor too.

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=21039.0


So glad to see you chime in. I actually printed out your thread at ozymx the other day, glad to see you are also on here.

I have so many little nic nac parts for the bike, I am currently on the search for the good stuff like Original Tank, Original Side Panels, Original Seat Cover. I am going to go with some Aftermarket (Maier) Fenders Front and Rear.

I know that Marty Moates bike was 493cc's. I like how the YZ465 runs compared to my 1983 Yamaha YZ490 Broc Glover replica, so I was worried about upping the cc's, but if it is going to be a "true" Marty Moates Replica then I guess I must Bore it to the Maxxx.

athomerecords25 04-16-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nachtflug (Post 18465947)
great stuff. 2 threads on the YZ 465. definitely a bike that raised the bar though it seems the bar was being raised pretty regularly back then.

Unadilla is having a VMX this June, I'll be there taking pics.

good luck with your project. Moates really showed them how it was done that day, a great story about how he was totally in sync with that track and heat and put it to the best in the world.

Thank you for the link in your above post. I love the YZ465 so very much. I love the motor. I just hope that I don't mess up the power band with this Replica Project. I think I will go to Eric Gorr and just ask him to keep a nice broad power range. Nice smooth and torquey throughout the range.

athomerecords25 04-16-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctune80 (Post 18472499)
Those were more than Yellow fork legs, they were trick Simons forks.

Here is a link to a Cycle News article about Marty's LOP bike. It actually displaced 493cc!
http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/fr...27-07-09-2010/

I'm a 465 owner too, mines an H model 1981. Bought it new, back in the day, influenced by Marty's win
and all of the magazine raves no doubt!

In 1983 I was stationed at Great Lakes IL (Navy) I met a few of the LOP gang, including Craig Anderson
one of the guys that built Marty's bike. Never met Laurens Offner, but the guys at the Suzuki shop I hung
out at, shared many tales of the exploits at LOP!

Here's my bike in '82 at Carlsbad.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n...m/YZ_Flyin.jpg

Yeah I know they were Simons Forks, Titanium from what I understand. While I cannot obtain those Forks I still want my Forks to have that look. ;-)

I also have a 1981 and it is what I was going to use to do this project with at first, but it is just too far gone so it is now my emergency parts bike.

I am taking the project very slow. Slowly obtaining piece by piece, I am not well to do by any means so this project will take some time but will be well worth it and will be done correctly.

I am going to start taking pics tomorrow to catalog the entire process.

FJ_Kevin 04-17-2012 01:31 PM

Hey, welcome!

Great to see another yz465 enthusiast... very exciting!

I definitely be watching this one!

Good luck! :1drink

Kevin

nachtflug 04-17-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athomerecords25 (Post 18473085)
Thank you for the link in your above post. I love the YZ465 so very much. I love the motor. I just hope that I don't mess up the power band with this Replica Project. I think I will go to Eric Gorr and just ask him to keep a nice broad power range. Nice smooth and torquey throughout the range.

looking forward to your thread and seeing it unfold. for some reason the 465 seems more relevant the 490. I bought an IT 465 right here on advrider a few years back but after I realized I didn't have any place to ride or a decent garage to tinker in I sold it. It was a white one and even had a title so plating it in NY was an option. I always remember we went to a Hare Scrambles in my Dodge with my KDX 400, a Maico 400 Magnum, and a YZ 465. Had to slide one of the bikes in backwards. As I recall at the time someone from a team called PDQ that was running Yamah's was there, a mechanic for one of the riders. It might even have been Statens mechanic they were a short lived team but had some pretty decent names on board. Any way that mechanic went by me on a team bike like I was standing still, probably a 465. so many stories from back then. so trivial but so important. good luck to you and Kevin in the other thread. :freaky

athomerecords25 04-18-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJ_Kevin (Post 18479868)
Hey, welcome!

Great to see another yz465 enthusiast... very exciting!

I definitely be watching this one!

Good luck! :1drink

Kevin

Hey there Kevin, thank you for stopping in. You did a excellent job with your OW Replica YZ465. I thank you for that thread, as it can give me a guide line.

YZ465 Group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/yz465project/

athomerecords25 04-18-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nachtflug (Post 18481070)
. so many stories from back then. so trivial but so important.

I am a little young to remember guys racing the YZ465's, but I do remember Jim Holley, Doug Dubach, and Jeff Stanton (before he was a part of Team Honda) racing the Yamaha YZ490's.

I came up in the Rick Johnson era. Ricky was the man when I was a child.

Boy oh boy could Jeff Stanton ride his Privateer/Yamaha Factory Support YZ490 built by Pro Circuit. I think Jeff Stanton rode that YZ490 better then he rode his Factory Honda CR500 (but not the 250).

This YZ465 project has me so excited. Everyday I can't wait to get off of work so that I can come home and tinker in the garage.

Shocktower 04-18-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctune80 (Post 18472499)
Those were more than Yellow fork legs, they were trick Simons forks.

Here is a link to a Cycle News article about Marty's LOP bike. It actually displaced 493cc!
http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/fr...27-07-09-2010/

I'm a 465 owner too, mines an H model 1981. Bought it new, back in the day, influenced by Marty's win
and all of the magazine raves no doubt!

In 1983 I was stationed at Great Lakes IL (Navy) I met a few of the LOP gang, including Craig Anderson
one of the guys that built Marty's bike. Never met Laurens Offner, but the guys at the Suzuki shop I hung
out at, shared many tales of the exploits at LOP!

Here's my bike in '82 at Carlsbad.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n...m/YZ_Flyin.jpg


I am not sure that is Carlsbad, I had worked there fopr a couple of years, and can remember the place pretty well, and I see nothing remind me of the place, I worked there off and on from 1977-1980 Sat night write T=times for the drag strip and sundays flagman for motocross got to see and meet some cool guys, Oh yeah got to work the USGP :evil

athomerecords25 04-19-2012 09:46 AM

Looks like it will be Saturday Morning before I can get around to doing more work on the YZ465. :cry


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014