ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   torque wrench for the 640a (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78986)

meat popsicle 05-09-2005 12:00 PM

torque wrench for the 640a
 
Hey, lookin into investing in a real torque wrench for my adventure and am soliciting suggestions :D

I need to upgrade my old one:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/tork-grip.jpg

cause I have a hard time feeling comfortable converting their torque scale into what KTM recommends in the manual:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/tork-calibration.gif

Looking for a 1/4 drive that covers the range of KTM torque specs and reaches all those fun nuts tucked away in the belly of the beast. :thumb

creeper 05-09-2005 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Hey, lookin into investing in a real torque wrench for my adventure and am soliciting suggestions :D

I need to upgrade my old one:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/tork-grip.jpg

cause I have a hard time feeling comfortable converting their torque scale into what KTM recommends in the manual:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/tork-calibration.gif

Looking for a 1/4 drive that covers the range of KTM torque specs and reaches all those fun nuts tucked away in the belly of the beast. :thumb

No can do skippy. Yer gona need a 1/4" drive in.lb. and a 3/8" ft.lb. if you want to cover all the bases.
You don't have to spend a bundle to get both. Shop around and you can get the pair for under twofiddy.

creeper 05-09-2005 12:25 PM

Here is a decent CDI 1/4" and a decent CDI 3/8" model.
There are others with different torque ranges that are about in the same price range. Try and get an overlap of values.
Why two wrenches? Cause a ft.lb wrench at a low value setting is not very accurate. 5 ft.lbs. might be 60 in.lbs.... or it might be 30 or 90 in.lbs. Unless of course you spend more money... then they get more accurate. :D

dirtrider 05-09-2005 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Hey, lookin into investing in a real torque wrench for my adventure and am soliciting suggestions :D

I need to upgrade my old one:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/tork-grip.jpg

cause I have a hard time feeling comfortable converting their torque scale into what KTM recommends in the manual:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/tork-calibration.gif

Looking for a 1/4 drive that covers the range of KTM torque specs and reaches all those fun nuts tucked away in the belly of the beast. :thumb

I'd hate to see the rest of your tools. :huh

Rad 05-09-2005 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle

I think ya got a bad one; it needs to be re-indexed. It has two “pretty tight” settings for left had threads and only one “pretty tight” set’n for right hand threads :lol3

creeper 05-09-2005 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad
I think ya got a bad one; it needs to be re-indexed. It has two “pretty tight” settings for left had threads and only one “pretty tight” set’n for right hand threads :lol3

Send it back to the manufacturer. "Hung Far Lo Tool and Toy for Little Amerlican Children".

meat popsicle 05-09-2005 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper
There are others with different torque ranges that are about in the same price range. Try and get an overlap of values.
Why two wrenches? Cause a ft.lb wrench at a low value setting is not very accurate. 5 ft.lbs. might be 60 in.lbs.... or it might be 30 or 90 in.lbs. Unless of course you spend more money... then they get more accurate. :D

two-fitty!!! no can do mang... don't have that kind of budget for BOTH. At least if I get one then I will be half way to proper no? :lol3

EDIT: oops, misunderstood... :rolleyes

that one you linked says 20-150 IN.lb -

I need to be careful about the ft/in biz... :eek1

So how about one of these:
http://www.belknaptools.com/torquemodel9.asp
haven't checked the price yet but the 1/4 drives are these:

1/4"
20-150in.lb (that's only 12.5ft.lb max)
5-75ft.lb (supposedly only down to 60in.lb but I note your warning :nod)

which would be more versatile for the 640a? :ear

there is also this cool thing:
http://www.belknaptools.com/torquemodel10.asp
http://www.belknaptools.com/torque/torque10-1.jpg

its like a ratchet adapter that converts them to a torque wrench! :evil

but only a 3/8 drive and only preset limits :cry

meat popsicle 05-09-2005 01:21 PM

oooooo, talk about bling bling :evil

http://www.talon-eng.co.uk/assets/images/image003.jpg

probably not the ONE torque wrench I should get... :lol3

creeper 05-09-2005 01:44 PM

Well if you're only going to have one... I suppose a 0-75 3/8 ft.lb drive would do.
An inch pound 1/4 drive is to insure accuracy with the smaller, low torque value fasteners that are much easier to strip or break if you over torque them... something that would be very easy to do with a less than high quality, wide spread 3/8 drive foot pound wrench set a low value... understand?

Velocibiker 05-09-2005 01:48 PM

You can get a beam wrench (like in your picture) $20 or so. Best thing is they never have to calibrated. You'll only use it on stuff like your axle nuts & frame bolts, so it's great. When you're tourqing something to 75 ft pounds, a few pounds either way isn't going to hurt so accuracy isn't as important. OTOH - something only requiring 5 ft pounds/60 inch pounds requires a bit more 'touch'.


You can get a good 1/4 inch (inch pounds) clicker wrench for less then $100. That's where you'll strip most of your bolts anyway so invest the bigger chunk o cash on the smaller wrench. I've seen some 'new' wrenches that work like a clicker but never need to be calibrated. Some day I may save up enough to get one like that....

There's my .02....

meat popsicle 05-09-2005 02:14 PM

yep, I am caught up to speed fellas, thanks for the primer! :thumb

I will look into a cheaper 3/8in drive for the ft.lb stuff and invest the serious cash (well, more at least) in the in.lb one. i don't mean to be so White Trash about this but I really don't have two bills to invest in these very important tools. BTW, that first wrench with the vise grips is not in my tool kit dirtrider! :lol3

oh yeah, I am going to get some loctite to go along with these but there was a thread on this already and I feel well enough informed. i had no idea loctite would be another oil, spark plug, tire - type issue :arg

L.A. 05-09-2005 02:14 PM

Two words: Snap On. Come on, don't be so cheap! :D Their tools are so nice you'll be looking for things just for the joy of wrenching and torquen'. The investment is worthwile. And, it will be a small investment as you'll likely need two to cover the ranges you mentioned. Give e-bay a shot; there's a fair amount of Snap On torque wrenches there for sale.

meat popsicle 05-09-2005 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.
Two words: Snap On. Come on, don't be so cheap! :D Their tools are so nice you'll be looking for things just for the joy of wrenching and torquen'. The investment is worthwile. And, it will be a small investment as you'll likely need two to cover the ranges you mentioned. Give e-bay a shot; there's a fair amount of Snap On torque wrenches there for sale.

I'm not CHEAP ya bastage, I am poor... there is a BIG difference.

ok, I'll dig thru eBay... such a time sucker that site. :arg

creeper 05-09-2005 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I'm not CHEAP ya bastage, I am poor... there is a BIG difference.

ok, I'll dig thru eBay... such a time sucker that site. :arg

Avoid stuff on eBay that they don't bother to offer the brand name... or one you've never heard of. $23.95 micrometer torque wrenches are less accurate than your average elbow. :D

meat popsicle 05-09-2005 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper
Avoid stuff on eBay that they don't bother to offer the brand name... or one you've never heard of. $23.95 micrometer torque wrenches are less accurate than your average elbow. :D

way ahead of you on that one :nod there is tons of crap for sale, and I could get it cheaper this sunday at the flea market in my neighborhood (and have some nice tacos too :D)

PMed ya.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014