ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   How hard to replace fork seal on 1992 R100GS? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791747)

GearHeadGrrrl 05-17-2012 11:46 AM

How hard to replace fork seal on 1992 R100GS?

MN Tech day is saturday and I think I've got all the parts and tools here... What am I getting myself into?

One Less Harley 05-17-2012 12:16 PM

a simple job, loosen the top caps ( don't remove till fork are off), remove caliper,remove axle and wheel, loosen large allen bolt at bottom of forks, loosen triple clamps, remove fork brace, remove forks, then gaitors, remove cap, drain plug and bottom allen bolt, with draw slider from tube, then remove seal retaining ring along with washer, then pop the seal out. Clean and inspect tubes and sliders, assembly is in reverse.

supershaft 05-17-2012 12:34 PM

That's way easier said than done IMO. A lot of people I have seen do that job including myself has a major issue getting the retaining ring out. My very quick and easy trick is to take the seal out first. How? With a small modified Vise Grip. Then I femove the retaining ring after I remove the seal. IMO it makes the job WAY easier.

jimbee 05-17-2012 02:57 PM

Just did it myself last weekend. One Less Harley's description is good. As SS, pointed out, the retaining clip can be tricky. I'm not the strongest fellow, but I found some determined prying with a small screwdriver (wearing safety glasses) worked okay. Bon Chance

One Less Harley 05-17-2012 03:06 PM

these forks are way easier than others!!! On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate the job as a 5-6, mainly due to with the number of parts taken off.

BTW- witht he forks bolted up before you put the springs and oil back in, make sure the forks move freely.

Stagehand 05-17-2012 06:44 PM

I am normally pleasantly surprised at how easy fork seals are to change. That is true right up until they're bollocksed up good, anyway :D

But really even I find it to be not that taxing.

bmwblake 05-17-2012 07:11 PM

i don't even remove the fork tubes from the bike. you can drain the oil, remove the wheel and fork brace and then unbolt the lowers from the tubes. unclip the fork boots and slide the lowers off.

i think it takes a 5-6 difficulty and makes it a 3-4 as you take much less off the bike.

the seals come out very easy with a seal puller. the retaining clips can be difficult but not a big deal if you have a strong pick or small tipped screwdriver to get behind them and pull the end out enough to grip it with something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Less Harley (Post 18709239)
a simple job, loosen the top caps ( don't remove till fork are off), remove caliper,remove axle and wheel, loosen large allen bolt at bottom of forks, loosen triple clamps, remove fork brace, remove forks, then gaitors, remove cap, drain plug and bottom allen bolt, with draw slider from tube, then remove seal retaining ring along with washer, then pop the seal out. Clean and inspect tubes and sliders, assembly is in reverse.

camgregus 05-17-2012 09:18 PM

thank you Blake!

that is especially helpful!!!!

supershaft 05-17-2012 10:36 PM

From what I have seen of sliders getting the retaining clips out is a big deal IF you don't want to gouge the sliders. I have seen quite a few buggered pretty good.

GearHeadGrrrl 05-19-2012 05:33 AM

Thanks Everyone!

Doesn't sound beyond my (questionable) abilities, but the GS is blowin' oil out the final drive vent so I elected not to chance the 150 mile ride to the Tech Day. Riding the '84 R65LS instead, may tinker with it a bit...

supershaft 05-19-2012 11:09 AM

Two major issues with those forks. First is the tube chrome fails and flakes off causing the seals to leak on a very regular basis and second is that the teflon bushings most often need replacing when the seals do. It can add up to an expensive repair. It might be a good time to look onto some new fork boots too.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:34 AM.