ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   alpina wheel help please (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793314)

colombian625 05-22-2012 06:50 PM

alpina wheel help please
 
the bearing of my back wheel exploded on the highway my bike started shaking i pulled over and manage to drive at about 5mph to next exit i then got towed home.

when i got home and took the wheel off this is what i saw
http://hphotos-iad1.fbcdn.net/hphoto...52011223_n.jpg


http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...87770152_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...32786888_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...98391393_n.jpg


so all of that happen in october 2011 so i just let the bike sit since winter was around the corner then in march 2012 i took it to a mechanic in queens that said could repair it.

he was able to fix it, i dont know how or what he did but he got my bike running now may 2012 3k miles after he fixed it same shit happen!!!

and now it looks like this

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8141/7...9fd357e45c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8164/7...86bdbab2_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7236/7...eb3e2199df.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7228/7...c89d8322_z.jpg




HELP:baldy

what do i do?



at this point i think my best/chepaer option is to go back to stock wheels

anyone that would want to trade stock wheels for these?


thanks

dlrides 05-22-2012 07:42 PM

How many months have you been riding it with a bad wheel bearing ?

colombian625 05-22-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlrides (Post 18746527)
How many months have you been riding it with a bad wheel bearing ?


cant ride the way it is

when the mechanic fixed it in march he put new bearings and sanded down the hub and everything worked fine until now may. i put about 3k miles

dlrides 05-22-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colombian625 (Post 18746658)
cant ride the way it is

when the mechanic fixed it in march he put new bearings and sanded down the hub and everything worked fine until now may. i put about 3k miles


That did not happen suddenly. Looks like the bearing was turning in the hub............... for a long time !


What do you do ? Find another mechanic !

Pete156 05-22-2012 09:30 PM

No cush hub?

What bike is this off of?

Yascher 05-23-2012 01:41 AM

seems like wrong hub for this bike!!! Probably was designed for 450 SM and it is 2X lighter and almost same in power....you need a RAD or at least original hub for rear with cushdrive...period!!!
Ask Alpina, they DO NOT MAKE wheels for 9X0, only relace to stock hubs to make it tubeless

Peanuts 05-23-2012 04:34 AM

Looks like a 20mm axle. His user name has 625 in it, so I guess its an LC4 bike?

So that wheel is designed for EXC/SX/SMR RFS and 2 strokes NOT LC4. LC4 should have a cush rear hub.

Buy a Talon hub to replace the Alpina hub, get it anodised same colour :)

markie_wales 05-23-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanuts (Post 18748219)
Buy a Talon hub to replace the Alpina hub, get it anodised same colour :)

Not involved in any way (have stock wheels) but there is a big debate on Talon's on LC8's in the UK. Worth keeping an eye on it IMHO.

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/...e-failing.html

cheers

Markie

colombian625 05-23-2012 09:08 AM

its from a 2006 ktm 625 smc

and this is what alpina had to say about it

"HINot much we can do with these as these hubs and wheels are not available from Alpina anymore
These are pretty old and are the previous generation A-System Hubs"

BELSTAFF 05-24-2012 09:26 AM

paging
 
Paging DR WOODY , DR WOODY to the white phone Please!!!!

Waterbaby 05-24-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markie_wales (Post 18748849)
Not involved in any way (have stock wheels) but there is a big debate on Talon's on LC8's in the UK. Worth keeping an eye on it IMHO.

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/...e-failing.html

cheers

Markie

After reading the above link I will be steering clear of Talon products until they put it right.

Pete156 05-24-2012 01:23 PM

Talon
 
So glad I had Woody use my OEM hub to build my custom rear wheel. If I had a Talon hub I would probably be returning it (thru their front window).

colombian625 05-24-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete156 (Post 18759739)
So glad I had Woody use my OEM hub to build my custom rear wheel. If I had a Talon hub I would probably be returning it (thru their front window).

So who is this woody guy ?

Chuckracer 05-24-2012 07:17 PM

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

One of the best in the business. Also, the most open, eager to share and help...etc. Lots of us LC8 guys have Woody's wheels on our bikes.

Pete156 05-24-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckracer (Post 18761932)
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

One of the best in the business. Also, the most open, eager to share and help...etc..

Ditto

Woody built a set of very strong wheels 6 years ago for my 950. I have abused them yet they are as true as new with no spoke adjustments over ther last 10 rear tires. They weren't cheap. Quality Craftsmanship and considerable knowledge results in an excellent product.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014