ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   2 smokers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Early '90s WR250 Yamaha (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794949)

third eye 05-28-2012 10:14 PM

Early '90s WR250 Yamaha

OK, tell me about your two stroke version of this bike. I just bought a '93 version with low time on it. Bike rips. Have you changed anything? What do you recommend???

Reino 05-29-2012 03:26 AM

you should re-title your thread like, wr250 2t info or something like that. I am a noob on this form as well, i had to learn the hard way.

Unfortunately i cant help, i own a ktm 250sx and a 1983 tt600 and i have never seen a wr250 in person.

Best of luck from a fellow noob :D

GarageRat 05-29-2012 09:38 AM

I had a '92-great bike! To make the bike more tractable for eastern (NY, PA, NJ) enduros & scrambles, I swapped out the aluminum clutch plates for steel (Yamaha replacement parts), this added inertia was noticeable, though i also added a 12 OZ. flywheel, which made the power deliver just electric. It was nearly impossible to stall the bike and perfect for gnarly, tight root infested trails. Yamaha also had an intake spacer that broadened the power delivery. In all, my changes made the bike trialsy, though reliable and easy to ride in enduros. Other more personal changes included a seat foam (taller) kit and pro-taper bars.

With the mods removed, the bike was an able mx'er.

third eye 05-29-2012 05:54 PM

thanks for the info. I'm reading how changing the Mikuni carb out for a Keihin PWK carb transforms the bike. Low speed throttle is kinda iffy but the mid to upper range, the bike is a rocket. Having more fun on it than my YZ400F I used to have

tHEtREV 05-29-2012 07:12 PM

I had a 98 for awhile (the same as the US 97model), but only kept it for a few months.

Power was just a bit much and it was a bit loud for my liking.

We also had a road registrable version, but unfortunately mine wasn't one of them...

And considering I already had a KDX200 and a KTM200EXC (both road registrable here) I got rid of it.

Fun bike though.

PTRadam 05-30-2012 08:26 AM

The 2 stroke WR 250's were basicaly the same bike as the YZ's of that era with a wide ratio transmission and a larger tank.

gloud 05-30-2012 08:30 AM

The only problem I had with mine (It was an 89 YZ250wrw) Was the flat slide carb was a POS (made for very hard starting) Went to a VM mikuni and solved the issues I was having. otherwise it was a matter of setting up the suspension for me and I rode the heck out of it. (oh and check the linkage bearings. mine where bad when I got it used from a bike shop. Just put it up on a stand and lift the rear wheel. should be no play.)

third eye 06-04-2012 07:17 PM

Just had the shock rebuilt and the ugly spring replaced since it was one size too weak for my weight. Hoping the stock fork springs can handle it after getting rid of the 19 year old mud....I mean, oil

gloud 06-05-2012 12:38 PM

I think it had a power valve? (Been a long time) just make sure it is not carboned up if it does. My 89 was a good bike. Fast

Rot Box 06-06-2012 12:27 AM

A friend of mine has a collection of WR250Z's from 92-97 he even has a 93 WR500 2T which is a ton of fun. 89's were known as the YZ250WR while later years were just WR250Z. Imo they are one of the best 2 stroke dirtbikes of all time even by todays standards. Unlike the YZ they had XC suspension, heavier flywheel with lighting coil, 18" wheel, larger fuel tank, wider gearbox along with a few other changes to make them more trail/xc friendly its really a shame they quit selling them in the US in 97. Unlike a lot of the enduro/xc bikes during the 90's the WR's were NOT detuned in any way shape or form--they rip and are every bit as powerful as the motocross bikes of the time.

My biggest complaint with them is the stock fuel tank on the 94-97's... I don't know what Yamaha was thinking but its like riding with a beach ball between your legs :eek1 A good solution (like the later 4T WR's) is upgrading to the YZ seat and aftermarket desert tank.

Imo the later round slide Mikuni carbs that came on the WR's were not too bad. If yours has one I'd try tuning it in first before you decide to bail on it. The earlier models had the flat slide TM which is a total POS. That said the PWK is an upgrade to anything Mikuni imo :deal

third eye 06-06-2012 06:26 AM

yes, this does have the power valve. I've richened up the float level and needle position since it was running on the lean side on the last ride. Going to test it out this friday. I had a problem back then on it stalling on long downhills with the clutch pulled in back then. Hope this helps

third eye 06-06-2012 06:29 AM

I was trying to remember something about this earlier model and that was it, the YZ250WR. Can't imaging what its like riding a 500

Fubars 06-06-2012 07:44 PM

:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMAG0157.jpg:eek1

third eye 06-09-2012 08:56 PM

I've tuned carbs before but this Mikuni VM38 is'nt cooperating, I can tell it's way too old school for this motor. I've got a Keihin PWK on order

third eye 07-03-2012 09:40 PM

It's taking forever for JD Jetting to receive new carbs from japan, Got the stocker to work for now.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:28 PM.