ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Helemts and painful ears? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799817)

MrPulldown 06-14-2012 09:37 AM

Helemts and painful ears?

For the last couple of months my ear has been giving me some pain. Not the inner ear, but the outter portion. I don't typically notice it but when I lay on my side in bed on my pillow.

I guess I do not play with my ear enough, but yesterday I noticed that it is slighty swollen. A section of ear between the outter edge and the bowl leading out of the canal. If you fold your ear forward the crease it would make. It seems that there is some fluid in there. When I lay on it I fold this portion of my ear back adginst my head and it hurts.

Could this be cuased by helmet. I seem to notice that sometimes when I put my helmet on my ear is folded down. Could hours of trail riding cuase this folded portion of ear to get bruised and swollen. Is this common: "biker's ear".

Thought I would throw this up to try to get some feedback from the folks that ride.

OrangeYZ 06-14-2012 09:47 AM

I think it could be caused by the helmet. I have a pain in my ear when wearing one helmet, but not any others. It usually shows up after about half an hour and goes away after two or three hours, doesn't happen the rest of the day.

Wuwei 06-14-2012 10:16 AM

I think more likely you were bitten by a spider or a tick there and it has gotten infected a bit.

nwdub 06-14-2012 11:41 AM

I used to get that from wearing a headset at work all day.

Do you wear a balaclava? or anything under your helmet?

If you can't even wear like an underarmor beanie or something, you may need to upsize the helmet, or find one that's a better "fit" for your head.

I'd suggest a thin slick layer between your head and the helmet

Offcamber 06-14-2012 12:37 PM

I had a similar issue until I figured out what was causing it....my ear was getting folded over a bit when I put the helmet on and I didn't realize it....Now I make sure they are laying flat after I put my helmet on. No more issues

This may not be your problem but it worked for me...:ear

Dismount 06-14-2012 12:39 PM

Earplugs and ear buds cause my ears to become acutely painful within about an hour.

txwanderer 06-14-2012 02:20 PM

Folded ears=hat don't fit.

You may want to look into a different shape helmet. Different cheek pads may be all you need, but something isn't right. Get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing and stick with that helmet shape. Just because you like the helmet doesn't mean it is right for you.

Good luck.

Calimari 06-14-2012 03:20 PM

Get a little beanie/skullcap that covers the tips of your ears, and they won't fold over when you pull your helmet on, and the cap is easier to wash than the helmet liner.

A cap is also good for preventing helmet hair if you're headed to the office.

beckgr 06-14-2012 03:31 PM

Ear Pain

Interesting thread, I will sometimes get an excrutiating pain after maybe 3 hours in the saddle. For the balance of the day, no relief. Ear plugs make it worse. It seams like it comes from some harmonic that is caused with wind. I ride a 1200GS now with Givi windscreen. My open faces hurt so bad I don't even use them. Full face Shoei X-11 is better but still will have that ear pain. Becasue they were quieter I actually tried the Schuberth, the ear pain is non-existant with that helmet. Anyone else had that experience? Anyone have any idea what the deal is?

firebrick 06-16-2012 02:19 PM

I had to cut out ear holes on my n42. I can't have anything pressing on my ears or I am in a lot of pain.

rbrsddn 06-16-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebrick (Post 18925637)
I had to cut out ear holes on my n42. I can't have anything pressing on my ears or I am in a lot of pain.

I've done the same in all of my Arai's. Just pull out the cheekpads and cut the foam in the area that is bothering you. At worst, you have to buy a new cheekpad if you screw up.

Too_Tall 06-17-2012 01:14 AM

Go big, or go home.

Had my ears pinned back because of riding a motorcycle. I didn't have a certain fold in my outer ears. So when I wore a helmet, it would fold my ears back creating that missing fold. After a few hours that exposed fold would get very sore.

Went to the hospital, 2 weeks later I was out on the bike with no more problems! :ear

everycredit 06-19-2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPulldown (Post 18909639)
For the last couple of months my ear has been giving me some pain. Not the inner ear, but the outter portion. I don't typically notice it but when I lay on my side in bed on my pillow.

I guess I do not play with my ear enough, but yesterday I noticed that it is slighty swollen. A section of ear between the outter edge and the bowl leading out of the canal. If you fold your ear forward the crease it would make. It seems that there is some fluid in there. When I lay on it I fold this portion of my ear back adginst my head and it hurts.

Could this be cuased by helmet. I seem to notice that sometimes when I put my helmet on my ear is folded down. Could hours of trail riding cuase this folded portion of ear to get bruised and swollen. Is this common: "biker's ear".

Thought I would throw this up to try to get some feedback from the folks that ride.

Make sure when you put your helmet on that your ears lay flat. Pinching your ears can cause trauma and would cause swelling.

The suggestions of a balaclava from other members is highly warranted. My helmet would hurt one or both of my ears (I have "detached" ear lobes, which has my ears sticking out more than the average person (the bottom part of the ear lobe is not attached to the face)). After getting a silk balaclava, the helmet glides on my head and my ears feel fine.

The balaclava doesn't have to be silk. Nylon or even cotton would probably work well (although cotton would wear down quickly, I would think).

Ice and Advil helps for swelling in your ear.

Dan-M 06-19-2012 07:15 AM

Get a helmet that doesn't put pressure on the edge of your ears. I have one that does and can't wear it for more than 2 hours without discomfort. My other one gives me no issues when wearing it all day.

390beretta 06-19-2012 07:33 AM

I suggest you stop wearing "helemts" and get a regular motorcycle helmet with padding inside. :rofl Just Kidding! God knows I make enough typos too.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:30 PM.