ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road warriors (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   R1150RT Fuel System Higway Failure (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806681)

roger 04 rt 07-07-2012 09:11 PM

R1150RT Fuel System Higway Failure

Removed site admins explained this site is for GS riders. See BMWMOA and BMW Sporttouring.

Tank Fuel Hose Rebuild

Fuel System Failure MOA

Yeahbaby 07-07-2012 10:15 PM

Just order the correct line from Max BMW. You get a 1 meter length of hose for a lot less than NAPA or others will charge. NAPA tried to charge me $27.00 a foot for in-tank line. The MAX type is the correct in-tank type. Also change out the "U" shaped hose, don't choke on the price. Remember to get the large and small hose. When you replace the O ring order 2. If you open things up and quickly try to button up again. You will notice that the O ring might be too large and a bugger to put back together. The fuel makes the O ring swell. I have a spare that I replace each time I open things up. Same goes for the fuel cap O ring.

roger 04 rt 07-08-2012 04:04 AM

Removed site admins explained this site is for GS riders. See BMWMOA and BMW Sporttouring. I want to be proactive and help ADVRIDER.com conserve web space.

roger 04 rt 07-09-2012 03:28 AM

Removed site admins explained this site is for GS riders.

roger 04 rt 07-10-2012 12:27 PM

Removed site admins explained this site is for GS riders.

izzy's 07-10-2012 08:05 PM

in tank fuel line

I just returned from an Alaska trip from Arkansas last Thursday. On the way up North I had a similar fuel line failure in the middle of Nowhere, Montana. On the side of the road I had the opportunity to totally unload the bike, remove the fuel tank and inside found one of the fuel lines attached to the filter had a hole in it. Because of lack of parts I had to use some redneck engineering and two zip ties to close the hole and make it to a farm store about 15 miles further down the road. At the farm store they had some standard off the roll fuel line I used to make a better repair and get back on my trip. I finished the trip without any further problems.
In this thread is the first time I've heard of "in tank" fuel line. Do I need to order "in tank" line and replace the standard fuel line that I used for the roadside repair.
Not that it matters but my bike is an '04 1150 GS.
Izzy

AntonLargiader 07-11-2012 06:53 PM

Yes, you do. R10 hose will degrade in sunlight and R9 hose will degrade when submersed. Each has its place.

However, even the R10 hose can decay when left in old fuel for a long time. Sometimes it just needs to be replaced even though it was being used correctly.

EDIT: the BMW hose isn't marked R9 or R10. It's NBR-NBR for internal, and CR-NBR (or a variant of that) for external.

roger 04 rt 07-11-2012 07:15 PM

Removed site admins explained this site is for GS riders. See BMWMOA and BMW Sporttouring.

roger 04 rt 07-12-2012 02:32 PM

Steve W. 07-12-2012 04:32 PM

Euro Motoelectrics offers a fuel line kit for in tank.

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BMW...fp-hosekit.htm

Looks like the hose is a nylon corrugated to allow bending. It is rated 30r10. I've seen this type of hose used on oem automotive in tank pumps (GM).
Anyone using this type hose? It looks like the hose could replace the U and the other pieces at the pump and filter.

Cheers
Steve

roger 04 rt 07-13-2012 11:04 AM

Steve,
Thanks for the recommendation, already ordered from Max BMW.
RB

roger 04 rt 07-13-2012 11:05 AM

mouthfulloflake 07-13-2012 11:26 AM

Great info Roger.

and you might be on to something about the leaky internal fuel hose.

mine pings and knocks terribly lately, even with 94 octane in it.

I guess I should open it up and have a gander.

cardoctor1 07-13-2012 11:29 AM

great post had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago fuel line between and fuel filter and outlet split. replaced the lines inside the tank with 180psi efi hose but didnt know about the hose itself being submersible . even after replacing the fuel hoses i still get a random lean condition where it falls on it face unless i keep the revs at 2500rpm's it clear up in a mile and may not do it again for a few hundred miles.

sonnyb 07-13-2012 06:08 PM

roger,
which pump did you get?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:01 PM.