ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Has this happened to anyone? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811476)

wildfirewaterloo 07-24-2012 04:51 PM

Has this happened to anyone?

loosing a steel bag on a GSA-
it contained my suite and valuables- never knew these bags came off on there own.
Riding along on the highway comes off and never to be found.
be aware :

boxermoose 07-24-2012 04:55 PM

Beemerous casious ejectionious - they fly faster then RIM stocks plummet:rofl

apexal 07-24-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildfirewaterloo (Post 19204384)
loosing a steel bag on a GSA-
it contained my suite and valuables- never knew these bags came off on there own.
Riding along on the highway comes off and never to be found.
be aware :

What is a steel bag? Are you talking about an adventure aluminum case? There's stories on this forum about side cases coming off so it does happen.

WeazyBuddha 07-24-2012 05:52 PM

Really? I thought it was the Varios with that problem.

...and I got the adventure bags for my non Adventure GS. One more reason to bust out the worry beads. :lol3

Grumpee 07-24-2012 07:08 PM

It does happen :huh, two buddies of mine lost a side case and the other his top case. Both BMW OEM cases. In both cases the latch securing the case to the rack opened?

I decided to secure mine with a spring pin, drilled a hole between the bracket of the rack and the bracket of the side case. Removable in two seconds and if the latch opens the case won't move.

grandelatte 07-24-2012 07:13 PM

Were you in Colorado?

Found a BMW side bag on I-70 in Colorado

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810384

David13 07-24-2012 07:28 PM

There was another of those bags found near Denver. And another one lost near Detroit, last week alone.
I have heard of them being lost and found anwhere, every other week or so.
dc

Reryder 07-24-2012 07:31 PM

Tis an ancient BMW tradition the self ejecting bag, going back at least to Airhead days, when the standard precaution was a stout leather belt and buckle around the bag and mountings to hold it in place when the inevitable happened.

evilmedic13 07-24-2012 09:57 PM

Mine popped off one day. More than likely my fault, or so I've thought until now. Still pretty sure it me that fucked up, I have a semi-annual 3 screw up quota to fill.

jdub 07-25-2012 03:14 AM

If the R1200GS Adventure aluminum side cases are installed correctly, the only way I could think one could come off accidentally is if the latch is not locked as it is a simple over-center latch design. Once the latch is locked, unless the lock breaks there should be no way for the latch to open and the bag to slide forward 2" on the solid metal mounts and then fall off the bike.

There's no way I'd not lock the latches on my bags when installing and then trust the latch to not pop open as it doesn't take much effort to overcome the over-center design when unlocked.

NoVa Rider 07-25-2012 03:24 AM

Put your name, phone number on the bottom of the bag before that happens. . .. :clap

rmarmbruster 07-25-2012 03:49 AM

The vario top box is useless they come off all the time without the bolt down kit supplied by BMW. Not sure the OEM GSA aluminium set.

Cheers

Roba.

rdwalker 07-25-2012 07:25 PM

I forgot to lock properly the sidecases on my K12RS a few years back.

The best part was that, after I lost the right box, I re-rode the section of freeway and found the case!

The cover was ground down from spinnig on asphalt, but the body survived and no one ran it over. Lucky shot, it only cost me a new cover.

Also, had a fly-off of the Vario top box on my R12GS. I've been riding over a big hole in a dirt road and the box actually flew ahead of me! Only a few scratches resulted; I still use it, though now with the enduro mod (a pin that prevents the box from sliding forward and out of latch - it's not the bolt-down kit).

Z50Pilot 07-25-2012 08:02 PM

Top case

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmarmbruster (Post 19207284)
The vario top box is useless they come off all the time without the bolt down kit supplied by BMW. Not sure the OEM GSA aluminium set.

Cheers

Roba.

I have had the Vario cases on my 06 and 2012 GS's without any problems and I do not have the bolt down kit. About 70K miles and the top case is always on the bike. When riding two up my wife uses it as a backrest and tends to fall asleep.

I'm not saying that it can't happen, but I'm willing to bet that there is a lot of user error involved.

rdwalker 07-25-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z50Pilot (Post 19214157)
...but I'm willing to bet that there is a lot of user error involved.

That depends on situations. My own experience is that the sidecases came off due to me not locking properly - thus user error. Even further in the past, while touring PEI on my K100RS, I was chased down by a friendly local (these nice Canadians!) - the sidecase opened up and all my crap fell out. Still user error, indeed.

The GS Vario top case is a different story. The plastic will flex and allow the case to move a wee bit forward under impact. This allows it to slip out from under the latch. BMW corrected that and offers a retrofit for older cases: a pin that prevents it from moving.

They also offer a brute-force solution: the enduro kit is an extra bolt that screws the case down. Obviously, you cannot remove it anymore just by opening the latch. I decided against that inconvenience, I only applied the retrofit and it works for me so far.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:39 AM.