ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Americas (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Baja March 2013 Trip Planning (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812249)

DaFoole 07-27-2012 12:35 PM

Baja March 2013 Trip Planning
 
A buddy and I are planning to do the peninsula in March 2013 (after the world ends....:lol3). My plans to date are to cross at Tecate (assuming this is a less hectic crossing than Tijuana) and bomb south out of the border cities influence down to about Santo Tomas. After that no real plans except to get to Cabo. We are both Baja/Mexico noobs (I sailed there about 20yrs ago but this is a whole new ball of wax..) and would like any pointers/tips, suggestions as where to stay, where to eat, what to see, etc. I have been perusing multiple threads but would like a concentrated bit of info. Bikes are a 650 Wee-Strom and a Super Tenere 1200. Not looking to do any serious dirt riding. Maybe a gravel road here and there. We will have about 3 wks total. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

:freaky

DaFoole 07-27-2012 07:57 PM

So no ADV riders have been to Baja? *SIGH*


:lol3

n16ht5 07-28-2012 04:19 AM

Your bikes are too big

DaFoole 07-28-2012 07:09 AM

Don't think so. As noted, no big off-road excursions planned and people drive their motorhomes down the peninsula all the time....

Hikertrash 07-28-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFoole (Post 19229543)
So no ADV riders have been to Baja? *SIGH*


:lol3

Do a search. There's about a gazillion Baja ride reports on this site and many ridding the same bikesa you guys.

ADV Fool 07-28-2012 08:17 PM

Baja 2013
 
DaFoole,

Your plan of crossing at Tecate vs TJ is a good one. Very easy process other than the walk down "three-four blocks" to pay the visa fees. Tecate is much less crowded, but the bank is closed on weekends. Enjoy, Baja is a blast.

ADV Fool

DaFoole 07-29-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hikertash (Post 19234953)
Do a search. There's about a gazillion Baja ride reports on this site and many ridding the same bikesa you guys.


"I have been perusing multiple threads but would like a concentrated bit of info."

DaFoole 07-29-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADV Fool (Post 19235892)
DaFoole,

Your plan of crossing at Tecate vs TJ is a good one. Very easy process other than the walk down "three-four blocks" to pay the visa fees. Tecate is much less crowded, but the bank is closed on weekends. Enjoy, Baja is a blast.

ADV Fool

Thanks ADV Fool, this is the type of stuff I'm trying to glean outta folks. I DID read on one of the threads you can get your visa prior to entry. Am looking into that.

ADV Fool 07-29-2012 08:51 AM

Visa prior to crossing
 
That is what I do now, I get my visa and bike insurance at the same time from "Discover Baja". I'm sure there are other companies that do the same thing. At crossing I just get my visa stamped, and I'm on my way. Since your plan is to ride to Cabo a visa is required, if only riding in Baja Norte it is not.

ADV Fool

rnrdozer 07-29-2012 06:11 PM

Dafoole, we just did 3 weeks in Baja on big bikes in January but we rode alot of dirt, mainly because it gets you to some really cool places. We rode through Tecate then headed east to the Compadre trail which is a real easy ride for anyone. this will take you to hwy 3 then head east to hwy 5 south. headed down the sea of cortez is a must. Gonzaga bay camping under the palapas is cool. some cool stops along the way down would be San Ignacio camp by the lagoon or stay in one of the yurts. bay of conception, camp on the beach. Loreto is a great stop, we hoteled it at the loreto plaza for $350 peso's a night for a room with 2 beds. nice clean hotel! A nice route down towards the bottom of baja is from La paz take hwy 286 back over to the coast, side trip to La Ventana to watch the kite surfers then continue over the mountain to the coast south to Los Barriles. check out our ride report (riding big pigs in baja) I broke the trip down day by day. Cheers!!:freaky

DaFoole 07-30-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADV Fool (Post 19238416)
That is what I do now, I get my visa and bike insurance at the same time from "Discover Baja". I'm sure there are other companies that do the same thing. At crossing I just get my visa stamped, and I'm on my way. Since your plan is to ride to Cabo a visa is required, if only riding in Baja Norte it is not.

ADV Fool

Good info. Thanks

DaFoole 07-30-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrdozer (Post 19241631)
Dafoole, we just did 3 weeks in Baja on big bikes in January but we rode alot of dirt, mainly because it gets you to some really cool places. We rode through Tecate then headed east to the Compadre trail which is a real easy ride for anyone. this will take you to hwy 3 then head east to hwy 5 south. headed down the sea of cortez is a must. Gonzaga bay camping under the palapas is cool. some cool stops along the way down would be San Ignacio camp by the lagoon or stay in one of the yurts. bay of conception, camp on the beach. Loreto is a great stop, we hoteled it at the loreto plaza for $350 peso's a night for a room with 2 beds. nice clean hotel! A nice route down towards the bottom of baja is from La paz take hwy 286 back over to the coast, side trip to La Ventana to watch the kite surfers then continue over the mountain to the coast south to Los Barriles. check out our ride report (riding big pigs in baja) I broke the trip down day by day. Cheers!!:freaky

I would like to do some gentle and even not so gentle dirt but my riding compadre is pretty leery of it. Hopefully I can get him out some dirt roads before we go to relax him. He's a good rider, just lacks confidence in the dirt. I'll check out your RR. Thanks!:thumb

rnrdozer 07-31-2012 05:24 PM

Dafoole, we had a couple new to dirt riders with us on our trip and they rode most everything. My thoughts are that you have quite a while Before you leave, maybe get him to do some local dirt roads to get comfortable. Put on some fresh TKC- 80 tires and go for it! Not saying do anything tough but if you guys have 3 weeks you should hit some of the out of the way places. Just my two cents though! Either way your going to have a blast!!

ADV Fool 07-31-2012 08:31 PM

+1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrdozer (Post 19256443)
Dafoole, we had a couple new to dirt riders with us on our trip and they rode most everything. My thoughts are that you have quite a while Before you leave, maybe get him to do some local dirt roads to get comfortable. Put on some fresh TKC- 80 tires and go for it! Not saying do anything tough but if you guys have 3 weeks you should hit some of the out of the way places. Just my two cents though! Either way your going to have a blast!!

Not only that but it would be good practice for the construction zones!!!

rnrdozer 07-31-2012 08:57 PM

TE=ADV Fool;19257964]Not only that but it would be good practice for the construction zones!!![/QUOTE]
This is true! your gonna get dirt weather you want it or not!:lol3


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014