ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   F800GS VS Triumph Tiger 800XC (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812781)

deeznuts 07-29-2012 03:50 PM

F800GS VS Triumph Tiger 800XC

I am new to this whole thing and looking to get my first bike. I have been in love with the 800GS and have found my self wanting a Tiger 800XC.
Which bike is cheaper and costs less to maintain. I am also curious about accessories and cost of those as well.
I would really like to hear the pros and cons to both bike from experts like you all.........:rofl

ebrabaek 07-29-2012 04:30 PM

In stead of posting this.... for the ummmmmm.... many'th time.... Use the search function and you will discover this have been covered Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany times..... Thanks...

Ducksbane 07-29-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeznuts (Post 19240728)
I am new to this whole thing and looking to get my first bike. I have been in love with the 800GS and have found my self wanting a Tiger 800XC.
Which bike is cheaper and costs less to maintain. I am also curious about accessories and cost of those as well.
I would really like to hear the pros and cons to both bike from experts like you all.........:rofl

Please... don't start this again !:rofl

Like all bikes it depends on what the rider needs and wants. Personally I just don't get on with the Tiger XC at all. I much prefer the engine in the GS. The Tiger has more top end, but only over 8,000 RPM, with a few simple mods the GS has a lot better pull down low, and the gear ratios (too close on the GS) are ridiculous on the Tiger with too tall a first gear and too low a top gear. The GS has better fuel economy, more offroad orientated geometry, more farkles, more ground clearance and a bolt on subframe. Supposedly the 800GS is cheaper to service as the Triumph has 50% more valves and spark plugs and it's harder to get at them.

The worst thing about the GS is the suspension ... particularly the front, do something with this and a few other things and you have a great all round bike. If you want a more road orientated bike the XC could be for you. I'm not anti Triumph .. I like the 1200 Explorer, I just dont get on with it's little brother. You should test ride them both ... we all like different things (luckily!).

itsatdm 07-29-2012 05:58 PM

Here is the best comparison test I have seen to date. http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/2011AugTriBMW.pdf

One might be best for you, that does not make it THE best. Some people have difficulty with that.

h2only 07-29-2012 06:01 PM

I was in the same boat a few months ago and chose the F800gs, it just felt better to me, I used to road race and currently race enduros and harescrambles on CRF 450x. The BMW felt more like a street able offroad bike, where as the Tiger felt more like a street bike that could do some offroad. I wanted something closer to my 450x and the BMW fit that bill.

murdock84 07-29-2012 08:34 PM

I agree with h2nonly. I was debating both and got the F800GS. Thought it was more fun bike to ride and that was the bike calling me. Even though the dealers I visited were pushing the Tiger. I figured they just wanted to get rid of them.

deeznuts 07-30-2012 07:29 PM

thanks for all of your thoughts. The comparison artical was very helpful. I will have to test drive them both and make a tough decession. By the way the article read i think i will like the XC better, looking for road with dirt option.....

Pabigwoods 07-30-2012 09:30 PM

my 2 cents

How tall are you? That could be a deciding factor right there. I was in the same boat as you. Rode both bikes. I am 6'-2". I felt a little cramped on the tiger. The 800gs felt roomier to me, i.e. comfort. So that's what I went with. Been happy with the choice so far.

Nacho911 07-30-2012 11:26 PM

Give me two weeks and I'll let you know how Gay Rob does on our trip starting this week. He' s odd man out with his XC amongst all our BMW but it looks good, after the new clutch at 1300km.

Twisted throttle makes some nice kit for it, that's 4 sho

:jive:jive:jive:jive:jive

Loutre 07-31-2012 09:18 AM

yo momma? will we meet again? :lol3

deeznuts 08-01-2012 03:19 PM

Im barely 5'9", im more worried about touching the ground than being cramped.

Loutre 08-01-2012 03:36 PM

don't worry you will. even if it isn't with both feet. I am 6' and I touch (uncharged) with the toes of my both feet. Charged I have my feet flat on the ground (oh and of course I'm riding a GS).
Anyway if you are afraid of hight you can order the lower seat for the GS or lower the suspensions (Touratech is proposing a nice kit) and gain about 5cm.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:05 AM.