ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   KTM 990/950 TF5 Rally Screens (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818101)

TornadoF5 08-16-2012 12:39 PM

KTM 990/950 TF5 Rally Screens
 
Just started making these TF5 Rally Screens for the KTM 990/950 Adventures

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...k-polished.png
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...02012/Scn1.png
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...02012/Scn2.png

Full 5 layer carbon fibre screen.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...12/TF5-CF5.png

Jaimoto 08-16-2012 01:03 PM

Like it. A lot.
Make it smooth & nice at the back/inside, i.e. not like the Rally Raid.

TornadoF5 08-16-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goti (Post 19375837)
Like it. A lot.
Make it smooth & nice at the back/inside, i.e. not like the Rally Raid.

Rear of screen has been done in a layer of surface tissue, which makes it a fine grain, so not the traditional fibreglass back of the Rally Raid.

gbx2001 08-16-2012 03:46 PM

C/F screen looks great. The real clincher will be if the airflow coming off it is much cleaner than the stock screen.

Dustodust 08-16-2012 04:08 PM

Good job !
its not easy to do
let me know if you figure out how to eliminate the flaws on the carbon under glass look doing a wet layup. Some come out better than others I recently made some low carbon screens and I spend hours and hours and hours trying to make them perfect and its just not worth selling them 15-20 hours in repairing bubbles and polishing, $50 in materials. At $180 each I end up making about $5 an hour after all the finish work and it still isnt perfect
I have been using the most expensive west systems epoxy, mixing carefully to avoid bubbles, 4 layers of carbon, vaccuum bagging etc . I tried making a better mold today and it failed . I will keep trying until I get it but I should just give up

buyers are particualar and they want absolute perfection like a vac machine produced stock acrylic screen

RoundOz 08-16-2012 08:55 PM

Can you do some in fiberglass?

ontherock 08-16-2012 09:30 PM

your windscreen
 
That's really nice looking, if I could ride with an arai xd in quiet air I' d be in in a minute! (low seat, about 6'1"):clap

TornadoF5 08-16-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbx2001 (Post 19377049)
C/F screen looks great. The real clincher will be if the airflow coming off it is much cleaner than the stock screen.

Ironically, this came as a result of myself having an Arai XD and the peak would catch air at speeds if I looked up and almost rip my head off with the buffeting.
I guess everyones experience will differ dependant on height, but I am 6ft and I tested at 80,100,120 & 160km/h and I could stare at the fluffy white clouds without the air gripping the peak and trying to rip my head off.

TornadoF5 08-16-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustodust (Post 19377219)
Good job !
its not easy to do
let me know if you figure out how to eliminate the flaws on the carbon under glass look doing a wet layup. Some come out better than others I recently made some low carbon screens and I spend hours and hours and hours trying to make them perfect and its just not worth selling them 15-20 hours in repairing bubbles and polishing, $50 in materials. At $180 each I end up making about $5 an hour after all the finish work and it still isnt perfect
I have been using the most expensive west systems epoxy, mixing carefully to avoid bubbles, 4 layers of carbon, vaccuum bagging etc . I tried making a better mold today and it failed . I will keep trying until I get it but I should just give up

buyers are particualar and they want absolute perfection like a vac machine produced stock acrylic screen

DTD you are 100% correct. The first guy I used stuffed up 4 CF screens and it cost me an arm and a leg. I have a new manufacturer at the moment and he has one on the build as we speak, so I'm looking forward to seeing his work as he has a good rep. It is easy to go cheaper with the product doing it yourself, but the reality is as you say, to turn out a near perfect screen is difficult and they guys are VERY particular. I can now understand why the prices are so high, where previously I thought it was just a rip-off!

TornadoF5 08-16-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundOz (Post 19379244)
Can you do some in fiberglass?

The black ones are fibreglass with a gel coat

PMC 08-17-2012 05:22 AM

Looks great
I'd be interested in the black version

henryroten 08-17-2012 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmc (Post 19380529)
looks great
i'd be interested in the black version

+1

TornadoF5 08-17-2012 09:19 AM

I have not really thought about exporting as yet, but I guess if there is a market I would look into it.

Dune 08-17-2012 09:50 AM

I would be interested in a carbon one...

TornadoF5 08-17-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dune (Post 19382358)
I would be interested in a carbon one...

As soon as I have the new carbon one in hand will mock it up for a few pics


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014