ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   accidentally skipping a gear in downshift (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820466)

davidb21 08-24-2012 10:43 PM

accidentally skipping a gear in downshift

hey all I was wondering how bad or damaging it might be to accidentally skip a gear in downshifting.
I ride a 04 klr250 and earlier this week while riding I for some reason thought I was 1 gear higher than I actually was and ended up downshifting 1 gear to low. I was going about 40-45mph and put it into 4th when it shoulve been in 5th and the rpms shot up to around 7k...I don't plan on doing this again but stuff happens especially when there's cars around and I'm watching what they're doing.

if it does happen again what parts are likely to be hurt by this?

Dotbond 08-24-2012 10:45 PM

Generally nothing will be hurt. If the revs didn't shoot past the redline and the rear wheel didn't lock up, carry on as you were.

davidb21 11-29-2012 08:27 PM

well i accidentally did it again...this time i had it in first when i thought i was in second at around 20mph, let the clutch out and got intense engine braking

is there more chance of damage doing that in the lower gears vs higher gears?

8gv 11-29-2012 08:50 PM

Worry less about the potential damage to the bike (minimal) and more about going over the bars or laying it down.

Unless you drop each gear down one at a time as you decelerate, you'll likely lose track of what gear you're in. In that case, let the clutch out just enough to see what it's doing to your rpms and then shift as needed.

Dumping the clutch with the tranny two gears too low equals locking the rear wheel and as such, could hurt you.

davidb21 11-30-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 20146357)
Worry less about the potential damage to the bike (minimal) and more about going over the bars or laying it down.

Unless you drop each gear down one at a time as you decelerate, you'll likely lose track of what gear you're in. In that case, let the clutch out just enough to see what it's doing to your rpms and then shift as needed.

Dumping the clutch with the tranny two gears too low equals locking the rear wheel and as such, could hurt you.

haha good advice, i do seem to care more about damage to the bike over damage to myself which isnt a good mindset.

i usually do try to decelerate one gear at a time, today was just a weird situation and a brainfart on my end.

i just barely made it through a left turn at a light(cars were lined up for it, i came in behind and made the turn as it was turning yellow) clutch in kicked down from 6th to first and i guess i just forgot to put it in second before letting the clutch out...luckily i had for some reason waited until after completing the turn and slowing down a bit to let the clutch out or i 100% wouldve been dumped on the ground.

tommyvdv 11-30-2012 02:18 AM

you might want to do all that before you hit the turn, let go of the clutch and take the turn on the throttle.

you don't want to realize you picked the wrong gear when your in a turn.

locking up the rear isn't too bad. starting to panic, pulling the clutch and keeping your eyes on the wrong place can be uncomfortable

oh and..
totally ignore my advice if I've misjudged your riding skills :) did not mean to sound high and mighty in any way. just trying to help

davidb21 11-30-2012 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyvdv (Post 20147304)
you might want to do all that before you hit the turn, let go of the clutch and take the turn on the throttle.

you don't want to realize you picked the wrong gear when your in a turn.

locking up the rear isn't too bad. starting to panic, pulling the clutch and keeping your eyes on the wrong place can be uncomfortable

oh and..
totally ignore my advice if I've misjudged your riding skills :) did not mean to sound high and mighty in any way. just trying to help

haha its all good i appreciate any advice, i only have 3000 miles on the road, but have a good amount of dirt and trail time

but i think i just didn't described the event well enough

i usually get into gear and throttle before and then through turns but i was running late to work, was about to miss a left turn at an intersection so i had to speed up to the light in 6th and then clutch in and brake right before the turn, downshifted during the turn and let the clutch out once the turn was completed and i was going straight but didn't realize i hadn't put it up into 2nd

Kommando 11-30-2012 07:02 PM

Drop it 2 gears and let the clutch out. You'll be backing it in around that left in no time!

:lol3

I wouldn't try that on a heavy streetbike though. Try to do your braking and gear selection BEFORE the turn, then take the turn with the tranny engaged and the gas on at least a little bit.

JerryH 11-30-2012 10:18 PM

I saw a brand new dirt bike ridden by a beginner completely explode from doing that a few years ago. I believe it was a Honda XR250. Seems the rider was going pretty fast in top gear, and downshifted it all the way to first gear, and let the clutch out, scattering engine and transmission parts all over the place. The sudden shock cracked the case in several places where the crank and trans shaft bearings were mounted. One of the shafts was sticking way out through a large hole in the case.

When I first started teaching my kids how to ride MANY years ago, I drilled it into them to never downshift more than once without letting the clutch out. After a few years they learned how much they needed to downshift depending on their speed and the gear they were in. Two kids, they went through 6 dirt bikes, as they got older, still have the last 2, and never damaged a single one, or themselves. Both girls, today they can ride as good as any guy.

davidb21 11-30-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryH (Post 20154096)
I saw a brand new dirt bike ridden by a beginner completely explode from doing that a few years ago. I believe it was a Honda XR250. Seems the rider was going pretty fast in top gear, and downshifted it all the way to first gear, and let the clutch out, scattering engine and transmission parts all over the place. The sudden shock cracked the case in several places where the crank and trans shaft bearings were mounted. One of the shafts was sticking way out through a large hole in the case.

When I first started teaching my kids how to ride MANY years ago, I drilled it into them to never downshift more than once without letting the clutch out. After a few years they learned how much they needed to downshift depending on their speed and the gear they were in. Two kids, they went through 6 dirt bikes, as they got older, still have the last 2, and never damaged a single one, or themselves. Both girls, today they can ride as good as any guy.

haha see i didnt do anything that bad, i think the revs were probaly atleast 1k under redline

i think i am going to start shifting 1 gear at a time from now on like you taught your kids, i have a bad habit of approaching lights and turns hot and downshifting multiple gears while braking

elsalvadorklr 12-01-2012 02:37 PM

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaad really bad habit, most commonly used in cars with a manual tranny...go from 5th to 3rd and rev up and play the throttle jejje do that all the time, but on a bike
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

always in gear clutch in at any stop or sign of trouble

good luck:deal

davidb21 12-01-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr (Post 20157560)
thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaad really bad habit, most commonly used in cars with a manual tranny...go from 5th to 3rd and rev up and play the throttle jejje do that all the time, but on a bike
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

always in gear clutch in at any stop or sign of trouble

good luck:deal

well i dont do that, what i meant is i approach a stop or turn very quickly usually in top gear, then clutch in and brake quickly then shift into the needed gear right before the turn, or for a stop just all the way down to 1st.

still a really bad habit though, i need to get in the habit of fusing a gear at a time and a little engine braking for decels instead of just clutched in braking.

elsalvadorklr 12-01-2012 05:07 PM

engine braking:clap

EmkIoway 12-01-2012 05:11 PM

I'm preety much a newb so my techniques probly stink, but I usually count my gears as I downshift.:ear

tommyvdv 12-11-2012 03:42 AM

noob or no
you seem to be open to improving your technique. which is a healthy state of mind. for anyone at any level

correct me if I'm wrong

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:27 PM.