ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   What to check on the bike new F800GS (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830212)

ilyaon 09-29-2012 09:00 AM

What to check on the bike new F800GS

When accepting the delivery of the new F800GS what would you recommend to check on the bike before driving it off the dealer's lot?

GH41 09-29-2012 09:05 AM

I would at least check the tire pressure, coolant and engine oil. Maybe a quick look for loose fasteners. GH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH 09-29-2012 09:13 AM

Your wallet :D

The Evil Twin 09-29-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH (Post 19706594)
Your wallet :D

Psssh! You already know that is going to be missing! :D

battlecattle 09-29-2012 01:35 PM

Forks lowered to the scribbed line

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...k/DSC_3165.jpg

CheckerdD 09-29-2012 02:36 PM

Why bother, it's under warranty. I just rode mine home and then installed the custom seat I ordered from Sargent the day I put a down payment on the bike. If you have not thought about getting a new seat, then your new to the world of BMW. About 1995 they decided it was not worth spending any bucks on a comfortable seat. They assume your going to put on an aftermarket seat shortly after purchasing the bike. Take a look at the thread index on the top of the first page this site. It tells you everything you need to know. Dave

ilyaon 09-29-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheckerdD (Post 19708048)
Why bother, it's under warranty. I just rode mine home and then installed the custom seat I ordered from Sargent the day I put a down payment on the bike. If you have not thought about getting a new seat, then your new to the world of BMW. About 1995 they decided it was not worth spending any bucks on a comfortable seat. They assume your going to put on an aftermarket seat shortly after purchasing the bike. Take a look at the thread index on the top of the first page this site. It tells you everything you need to know. Dave

Thanks for advice. Why did you choose Sargent over Touratech ?

CheckerdD 09-30-2012 08:05 AM

I bought a Sargent World Seat because I have a Sargent on my 1200 GS. The 1200 is more comfy but I have been to South America and back on the 800 and its quite adequate. I had a bad experience with Tourtech some years ago. As a result I don't look over their products much. They have some good products but also sell a lot of unnecessary crap. The difference is that Sargent is more rounded like a saddle, and the Tourtech more bench like. One is better on road, one off road, I suppose. Read the reviews in the thread index and decide which you want. Dave

JRWooden 09-30-2012 08:41 AM

I would also check chain tension & clutch free-play and make sure front calipers bolts are at least "finger-tight"....

There have been several incidents where-in calipers came loose, swung into the spokes and things went downhill fast.
When I say "several" I do mean only 3 or 4 instances out of all the bikes delivered, but why take a chance ... :evil

bcs 09-30-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battlecattle (Post 19707784)

Is your statement based on the factory spec, or personal preference about handling? Mine was delivered with the top of the fork tube flush iwth the top of the clamp.

Loutre 09-30-2012 10:21 AM

from personnal experience I'd say look if the accelerator is coming back to the idle position. Mine was stuck and kept accelerating. Kinda strange feeling when you get to your first round about with the bike :p3rry

PatrickM 09-30-2012 11:26 AM

Nothing really. I'm probably like most folks who just want to get out there and ride.

Though I would have the dealer go through everything, especially air pressure. This puts them on the hook if anything happens for if you check and it comes back fine (and I have had tire pressure gauges record inaccurate) and something happens, it's on you.

You want this to be a partnership. Both you and the dealer want this to be a long term one where you are happy and come back to pick up the next model. This means a little bit of trust expressed by you, but concerned interest as well. That's my excuse at least.

When you get home, a different story. For me it's a 60 mile shake down ride. Check that the tires are still holding air, that there is oil, the fan came on (and turns off), the headlights are adjusted, the heated grips work, the windshield is bolted tight, etc.

Then you work the bolts. Start with the smallest and work your way up to the largest torx (or vice versa) to give you a feel as to what can and may work loose. Hand tight (no need to break out the torque wrench and specks) and repeat every few hundred until you feel nothings going to shake loose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcs (Post 19712643)
Is your statement based on the factory spec, or personal preference about handling? Mine was delivered with the top of the fork tube flush iwth the top of the clamp.

Same here, just a little bit of gold showing really. I'm wondering if it's a "lowered" option...

JRWooden 09-30-2012 03:22 PM

Rev. 4 of the BMW manual says the projection should be 7.8mm from top of cap to top of clamp.

That would look to be the scribed line on the fork.... In other words the forks pictured have been dropped below the nominal setting, not necessarily a bad thing, but not like the dealer would set it out of the crate.

FredRydr 09-30-2012 05:07 PM

Confirm whether all software updates, recall notices and service bulletins have been performed by the dealer. It shouldn't be something you have to check on, and you are entitled to assume they were done. But you did ask, and besides, you know the old saying about "assume."

Fred

Reaver 10-01-2012 12:25 PM

Since you paid for a PDI, it should be ready to go. I haven't seen a dealer that hands over the keys and lets you fend for yourself but I'm sure there are some. They should tell you everythings been checked already. I got a signed copy of the PDI checklist with mine.

HOWEVER, at least do a quick check of the tire pressure by hand or guage, check the gas level and since it was shipped without the front wheel, check that the axle and caliper bolts are present and can't be loosened by hand. Look for scratches in the paint or other hidden damage. Most customers ride around the parking lot a few times before hitting the road to get comfortable or else just load it in a trailer.

Picking up a brand new bike is an experience some find nerve wracking. A lot of accidents happen right in the lot. Do what makes you comfortable.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:40 AM.