ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Buying F800GS demo? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830415)

JesperDenmark 09-30-2012 05:41 AM

Buying F800GS demo?

Hi GS freaks,

Would it be advisable for me to purchase a 2012 F800GS that has been used as a demonstration model with 1000km on it?
I mean most people would want to test the engines capabilities when trying out the demo machine, so I assume it would be more worn out?
What do you think?

Jesper

too old for dirt 09-30-2012 05:53 AM

I would not worry if the price is right! It still has the warranty and test riders would probably be conservative.:D

JesperDenmark 09-30-2012 06:56 AM

Well, the savings on this particular model is approx. 20% from the listprice.
No need to quote prices as this is in Denmark, and obviously we have outrageous taxes so it won't be comparable.

wizze 09-30-2012 07:04 AM

My 800 was a demo model. I still the got the same warranty from the time of sale and saved thousands. I figure all the kinks were worked out before I bought it. :lol3

BamaTexRider 09-30-2012 08:32 AM

I would never buy a demo, think about it. What do people do when they test ride, they dog the hell out of a cold engine. But that is just my opinion.:eek1

Loutre 09-30-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaTexRider (Post 19712419)
I would never buy a demo, think about it. What do people do when they test ride, they dog the hell out of a cold engine. But that is just my opinion.:eek1

as long as he still gets his 3 year (or 2 year) warrenty who cares? The engine break in takes at least 10.000km.
If you get a good price out of it, go for it and don't look back. If there is a problem you have your warrenty.

my 0.02cts

PatrickM 09-30-2012 10:18 AM

Wouldn't worry much about it (versus a rental where you get a LDW).

A demo bike is one that is often loaned out to mature customers to "try" or as a "loaner" for customers who are getting their bike serviced. It may be even used by the shop to get a feel of what a bike may do. 1000km of mileage appears to reflect that.

For customers who want to "demo" the bike, they most certainly weren't ready to drop a few thousand dollars on it so that's why it's still there. This means they may have played with it gingerly, but with new tires and the voice of reason in the back of their mind ("if you drop it, you'll own it") they'll take it gingerly. No wheelies, stoppies or grinding pegs - anything that would leave obvious marks.

The shop guys... different story. But they know what they did and when you bring it back you'll probably have less of an issue ("Uh, yeah, this the bike I did that long burn out in the parking lot after I dropped the clutch - hard. FUN! Let me fix her right up") getting any work done and fixed up perfect.

A return from a customer who changed their mind, a bike used as part of a rental fleet for touring, a trade in... I'd be much much more cautious.

I was seeing 20% off (technically farkles) for 2012 models too. Seems to be the going rate for a bike with a wee bit of demo mileage.

Switch it around - if you ran the shop, and wanted the demo bike out, how much would you cut off the price?

sorebutt 09-30-2012 08:28 PM

I wouldn't buy the one I test rode.:evil

Zeke Markham 09-30-2012 09:59 PM

Mine was a demo for 2,000ish miles, I haven't had any problems so far and I beat the hell out of mine.

ebrabaek 10-01-2012 05:30 AM

Alle Danskere koere paent.....Koeb den.....:D:lol3:clap

JRWooden 10-01-2012 08:07 AM

I have to admit 20% off would get me to think about it....

Last time a near-by dealer had a demo in my part of the world, the discount they were offering was only ~5%

Loutre 10-01-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRWooden (Post 19718738)
I have to admit 20% off would get me to think about it....

Last time a near-by dealer had a demo in my part of the world, the discount they were offering was only ~5%

this is the discount I got on a new one :huh

Reaver 10-01-2012 12:02 PM

1000 K kms is nothing. Did they do the first service? That would save you a bit too if it's been done (should be).

Most test riders are kinda nervous and go easy on it. Get confirmation on what if anything had to be repaired (dropped?) If it's a reputable dealer there should be trust. Did they put that mileage on it themselves or did they get it that way? If they got it new then they will know how it was treated.

In Canada anyway, the test fleet is auctioned off privately every fall to the Dealerships and have maybe 5K kms on them. The test rides are controlled and have a lead/tail rider to monitor things. Sometimes they get scratched by boots etc. but the quality can be trusted. The remaining warranty still applies.

My '09 F8 was a different story. It was an OFFROAD test bike and that was quite obvious. Then it was given to the boys at http://www.onewheeldrive.net/ to participate in the Arctic Challenge. Yep, that's my bike. I bought it through the Dealer with no promises made or implied but I did see it tore apart with the damage shown to me. It was half price with 10K kms on it. Cost me a grand in parts (at cost, thanks!) to get it safetied. It's been an awesome bike with no signs of permanent damage. Same clutch etc. now with 45K kms on it. I only had one warranty claim for peeling paint (on a badly damaged body panel :D) and it looks well cared for when clean.

I'd do it again. Just make sure you get it checked over near the end of the Warranty to address any issues. By then you'll know if anythings wrong anyway.

kazi77 10-01-2012 01:52 PM

Mine was a demo bike too, with 1500kms. Now it has 43000kms and no serious problems.
But i could get 25% discount. :D

Kiwi Tinkerer 10-01-2012 02:57 PM

Hell yes

I had an ex-demo original f650. No issues.
In reality, the bike is ridden within it's design envelope. So should be able to handle it.
So a few riders revved it out or laboured it? So what! It is not an over stressed engine.
It will probably be run in better than the bikes whose owners ride them like a nana.
Think about it, some bikes do not get ridden hard enough. The rings don't get a chance to really bed in.

I had an ex rental R1200gs. Probably thrashed now and then. But it ran like a dream and never used any oil.

Go for it.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:22 AM.