ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   2 smokers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   What are you going to do with your old bikes when you pass on? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831607)

lrutt 10-04-2012 09:51 AM

What are you going to do with your old bikes when you pass on?

I've been collecting for years and dearly love my bikes. I ride everyone of them. The big concern for me is what will happen to them when I die. Oddly enough I'm planning now how will get what to make sure they go to good deserving homes, to somene who will take care of them and enjoy them as I have. This means the collection will get split up some. I don't plan to sell to strangers but give to friends and family who as stated, will appreciate them.

I've had recommendations of leaving to a charity or some such but no way. It would just end up something to flip for a few dollars if done that way. Museums, no way, these bikes need ridden.

What do some of you plan on doing?

Shocktower 10-04-2012 10:34 AM

I got kid's and I am going to live and ride for at least 30 more years :evil

twinjet 10-05-2012 09:23 AM

I read about a young lady who inherited an Indian Scout from her Grand Father.

caryder 10-10-2012 08:37 PM

I think if I'm dead it won't matter to me what happens to my bikes. My family yes.

Chuck

JeffS77 10-11-2012 08:22 AM

hmm good question.. I guess depending on our financial situation I will tell my wife to sale if needed.. If not they will probably go to family/friends to enjoy :D

buls4evr 10-16-2012 06:04 AM

My wife will sell mine and keep the cash. She already knows what to ask for all of them. My kids are not interested in old bikes and a lot of young folks just don't care about them at all. They think we are old dottering fools. Their idea of something to collect will be OLD Taylor Swift or Justin Beiber albums:D. Either way ,I won't care anymore.

TwinDuro 10-16-2012 10:26 PM

I care about your old bikes buls, and I'm only a 20 something... :deal but then again, I'm not normal. Who's Justin Beiber? :rofl

Seriously though, you speak the truth, it seems that the vast majority (but definitely not all) of kids/younger adults aren't interested in vintage/classic bikes, which is a shame :cry. I hope that changes for the positive in the next couple of decades, even in a small way.

FWIW, my take on this subject is that no matter what you own: motorcycles, cars, vintage tractors, baseball cards etc., it would be ideal to have everything clearly laid out and decided upon in one's will well in advance, so there's absolutely no question on who gets what. We've all seen, and likey experienced, families being torn apart by arguments over who gets one thing or another. It's not pretty and more often then not, turns downright ugly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buls4evr (Post 19828506)
My wife will sell mine and keep the cash. She already knows what to ask for all of them. My kids are not interested in old bikes and a lot of young folks just don't care about them at all. They think we are old dottering fools. Their idea of something to collect will be OLD Taylor Swift or Justin Beiber albums:D. Either way ,I won't care anymore.

RodT 10-17-2012 08:17 AM

I'm taking mine with me!!!!!:rofl:rofl:rofl

CanadianX 10-17-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinDuro (Post 19835572)
Seriously though, you speak the truth, it seems that the vast majority (but definitely not all) of kids/younger adults aren't interested in vintage/classic bikes,

FWIW, my take on this subject is that no matter what you own: motorcycles, cars, vintage tractors, baseball cards etc., it would be ideal to have everything clearly laid out and decided upon in one's will well in advance, so there's absolutely no question on who gets what. We've all seen, and likey experienced, families being torn apart by arguments over who gets one thing or another. It's not pretty and more often then not, turns downright ugly.

The phenomenom isn't limited to bikes but spans to cars. Seems a lot of younger people in developed nations are loosing their love for owning a car. It isn't the status symbol it once was. many are not gettting their license until they are much older. Now in nations that are just coming into their own the demand is growing as is the interest.

TwinDuro called it though - have a good solid plan and have it written and notorized. May also consider letting some of them go to their new homes before you ride off into the sunset. Likely give you great joy to see them enjoyed anew and would settle any issue of ownership after your passing.

madeouttaglass 10-17-2012 06:42 PM

It looks like you have an interesting collection. I have a car that I likely will own for my entire life. To be honest, I hope it gets sold when I'm gone. I'd rather it disappear from anyone who knew me than have someone I know not take care of it or wrap it around a tree. My thought is that a paying next owner will "have skin in the game" compared to getting something for nothing and treating it as such.

old fart bob 10-17-2012 06:58 PM

My bike collection?

I married late and my wife has absolutely no interest in my bikes, my antique cars or my large memorabilia collection. I arranged with the Gilmore Auto Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan they would get the whole collection along with more than enough money to maintain them. My wife thought that was a good idea.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:26 PM.