ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   New F, Scratches from Dealership (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833942)

gsyogi 10-13-2012 05:37 PM

New F, Scratches from Dealership

I took my new '12 F 800 GS in to the local dealership for some minor service—an installation of some accessory lights—(<1600 miles, pristine) and it was returned with the obvious "tool marks"/scratches on the fairing (see pics below). These were DEFINITELY not on the bike when I dropped the bike off for service. Any suggestions on gauging my response to the dealership? I know that my GS will get scratched up in the future, but I kind of wanted to be the one to do the damage! Thanks in advance.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47845656/F%...%20%281%29.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47845656/F%...%20%282%29.jpg

ebnelson 10-13-2012 06:07 PM

Sorry to see your damage. I would probably work with the dealer first before posting this online. The next question will will ask will be, was it Foothills or Denver? It would be most fair for the dealer to have a chance to fix the problem at the outset.

gsyogi 10-13-2012 06:18 PM

Purposely didn't identify and will not as I sincerely wish to give the dealership a chance to make this right ... however, I wanted to see what others would suggest before I either raise hell or "let it go"?! I am kind of at a loss, that's why I posted here ... I will happily remove this post if you think it is premature!

ikonoklass 10-13-2012 06:41 PM

I had service today on one of my bikes in Denver and also have a new scratch. Not happy. Bike was also smoking from the radiator when I got home, which I'm hoping is just some overfilled fluid burning off.

ebnelson 10-13-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsyogi (Post 19811781)
Purposely didn't identify and will not as I sincerely wish to give the dealership a chance to make this right ... however, I wanted to see what others would suggest before I either raise hell or "let it go"?! I am kind of at a loss, that's why I posted here ... I will happily remove this post if you think it is premature!

I'd raise hell with the dealer for sure. Sounds like they have some rookie or ham fisted mechanics.

LukasM 10-14-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebnelson (Post 19812413)
I'd raise hell with the dealer for sure. Sounds like they have some rookie or ham fisted mechanics.

Are you serious?

Ship happens, even if you are careful and experienced. Tell them about it, give them a chance to fix it somehow, and when they deny it or refuse to do something about it - and you are POSITIVE that it wasn't there before - then you can raise hell.

Personally if I were to keep the bike I'd much rather have a X$ credit towards the next service/parts purchase. If you are going to own the bike for a while and riding it more than just your local Starbucks it's going to get scratched up anyway and those tiny little marks won't even be noticeable.

gbtw 10-14-2012 03:56 AM

you bought a adv bike to take offroad and ride trough rought terrain and you are woried about scratches

:rofl

GH41 10-14-2012 05:55 AM

"I took my new '12 F 800 GS in to the local dealership for some minor service—an installation of some accessory lights—(<1600 miles, pristine) and it was returned with the obvious "tool marks"/scratches on the fairing (see pics below). These were DEFINITELY not on the bike when I dropped the bike off for service. Any suggestions on gauging my response to the dealership? I know that my GS will get scratched up in the future, but I kind of wanted to be the one to do the damage"

Be aware that any repair short of ordering a new plastic will likely look as bad as the scratches. I don't know how you could prove the dealer did it even if you noticed it before taking the bike home. If the dealer values your relationship he will do something for you to ease the pain. GH

Riteris 10-14-2012 08:56 AM

You should trade it in on a Hurley.:norton

gsyogi 10-14-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbtw (Post 19813613)
you bought a adv bike to take offroad and ride trough rought terrain and you are woried about scratches

:rofl

NOT worried ... I think it is a matter of principle!? I will see what happens next week ...

JGoody 10-14-2012 06:31 PM

+1 on the touchup not working. Mine came with one tiny scratch near a fastener (which I didn't notice when I picked up the bike-- too excited) which was touched up. It does bug me but now a year out it would be pretty weird to bring it up. I agree -- I like to F it up myself! Somehow it's more forgivable when I do it.

docsherlock 10-14-2012 10:38 PM

BS - I'd make 'em fix it and that means they pony up for new plastic, so be it.

The tech took a short cut and did not take the tupperware off before doing the wrenching. BMW dealers charge premium rates and should not be doing shoddy work like this.

Yes, Adv bikes get scratched - but it should be the owner that does it, not the dealer.

STVO 10-15-2012 02:55 AM

Unfortunately, if they choose to deny it, i'll come down to your word against their's. Wish you luck with it though, that sort of thing always leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

Loutre 10-15-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STVO (Post 19819950)
Unfortunately, if they choose to deny it, i'll come down to your word against their's. Wish you luck with it though, that sort of thing always leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

+1. The longer you wait the less chance you have to proove their responsability.

texci77 10-15-2012 07:20 AM

Exactly

Quote:

Originally Posted by docsherlock (Post 19819546)
BS - I'd make 'em fix it and that means they pony up for new plastic, so be it.

The tech took a short cut and did not take the tupperware off before doing the wrenching. BMW dealers charge premium rates and should not be doing shoddy work like this.

Yes, Adv bikes get scratched - but it should be the owner that does it, not the dealer.

This is exactly right, its not the fact that it got scratched, its the fact that is got scratched for $100 an hour. If I want my bike scratched I would do the work on it myself.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:20 PM.