ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Mendo NF Mill Fire VOLUNTEER DAY, 10am-4pm Saturday, 11/17/12 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836829)

K. L. Rocket 10-26-2012 11:01 AM

Mendo NF Mill Fire VOLUNTEER DAY, 10am-4pm Saturday, 11/17/12

Mendocino National Forest (MNF) is having its second forest rehab volunteer event to address the aftermath of the Mill Fire. A completed volunteer agreement form is required to participate, if you haven’t already submitted one. You may leave the top row of boxes blank; please fill out the rest, sign and return it to MNF by fax: 530-963-3173 or submit it at the event. :thumb

9.5 miles west of Stonyford on Road 18N03
Lat - 39° 21' 46.56959", Long - 122° 39' 13.4028"
NO WATER at campground
Nearest food and gas at Stonyford
BRING YOUR LUNCH and PLENTY TO DRINK
Rain or shine event, BRING APPROPRIATE APPAREL AND SUN PROTECTION

Vouchers for free camping Saturday night at Davis Flat Campground will be available again to participants at the event.

“It also looks like we have a sponsor providing dinner for the volunteers that evening as well”, per the MNF. :dg

The Bearfoot Family Enduro (www.rrmc.cc) is ON for Sunday, 11/18, so there’s even more reason to make a weekend of it.

Coincidentally, the peak of the Leonids meteor shower is predicted for Saturday night. :deal

MNF campground, road and trail closure information here.

Save the dates; additional volunteer days are scheduled December 15 and January 19.

skwidd 10-26-2012 12:35 PM

The Bearfoot is on for Sunday 11/18, at Upper Lake, not Stonyford.

There will be no fall events at Stonyford this year, and I feel sorry for the Rangers for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday when the knuckledraggers will undoubtedly show up anyway towing their dune buggies and clapped out quads.

K. L. Rocket 10-26-2012 12:41 PM

Correct, staging out of Penny Pines, I believe.

skwidd 10-26-2012 02:07 PM

Drop your tent or truck in the overflow lot at Middle Creek, and ride over to Stonyford the dirt route for Saturday work party, then ride back and camp at Middle Creek.:freaky

K. L. Rocket 10-26-2012 02:13 PM

Party! :clap

K. L. Rocket 10-26-2012 03:53 PM

Agenda from MNF this afternoon:

"10:00am-10:30am – Meet at Davis Flat Campground – Look for the Us Forest Service Vehicles and personnel.
At this time we will go over the volunteer agreements, project (location) and discuss any job hazards or safety concerns related to this project.
10:45am – Meet at Jobsite with assigned US Forest Service Personnel
Please bring your necessary PPE (listed below) and water with you at this time.
10:45am-12:00pm – Work on installation of barriers
12:00pm-1:00pm – Lunch Break
1:00pm-3:00pm – Continue work on barrier installation
3:00pm-4:00pm – Gather all tools and equipment used and debrief

This project is mostly going to utilize our man power, so no bikes or heavy equipment is needed for this event but please bring a sledge hammer if you have one.

What we need you to bring is your PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) such as:

1. Boots
2. Gloves (we have extras if you do not have a pair)
3. Eye Protection (safety glasses)
4. Hard Hat (we will have extras if you need one)
5. Long sleeves and pants

All these items will be required to work at this event in accordance with the US Forest Service Safety Guidelines.

Also bring your foul weather gear such as: Sun Gear (sunblock and hat), Rain Gear and Wind Gear (windbreaker) as this event will be rain, wind or shine."

K. L. Rocket 11-02-2012 12:11 PM

Two weeks away.

K. L. Rocket 11-09-2012 12:53 PM

RSPV for Dinner

One week away now.

Latest from MNF:

"There has been a change of plans since the last email I sent out... We recommend bringing a 4X4 vehicle as we will be driving to an undisclosed location. At this location we will be doing some hand work on trail tread maintenance and replacement and installation of some signs and barriers that burnt in the Mill Fire."

I've got an email out asking if dual sport motorcycles will be permitted in lieu of 4 x 4s and if there will be 4 x 4 transportation for those who arrive by other means. I'll post more about this when I receive a reply.

"At the end of the event we will meet back at Davis Flat Campground where we have a sponsor that will be feeding us. They will be packing the food up in to go containers so volunteers can pick up the food and leave if they want or need to. I am asking for a head count for this event so I can let our sponsor how much food to prepare. So if you are potentially coming next weekend please shoot me an email [jctaggart@fs.fed.us] and let me know (this doesn’t mean you are committed to come, just that you might.)"

"10:00am-10:30am – Meet at Davis Flat Campground – Look for the Us Forest Service Vehicles and personnel.
At this time we will go over the volunteer agreements, project (location) and discuss any job hazards or safety concerns related to this project.
10:45am – Meet at Jobsite with assigned US Forest Service Personnel
Please bring your necessary PPE (listed below) and water with you at this time.
10:45am-12:00pm – We will be driving to an undisclosed location – 4X4 vehicles are recommended
12:00pm-1:00pm – Lunch – Please bring lunch with you as we will be on location away from Fouts Springs the entire event
1:00pm-3:00pm – Continue work
3:00pm-4:00pm – Gather all tools, equipment, debrief and return to Davis Flat

IMPORTANT INFORMATION BELOW

What we need you to bring is your PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) such as:

1. Boots (over the ankle)
2. Gloves (we have extras if you do not have a pair)
3. Eye Protection (safety glasses)
4. Hard Hat (we will have extras if you need one)
5. Long sleeves and pants

All these items will be required to work at this event.

Also bring your foul weather gear such as: Rain Gear and Wind Gear (windbreaker) as this event will be rain, wind or shine."

K. L. Rocket 11-09-2012 04:30 PM

MNF update:

"Yes you will be able to ride highway legal registered dual sports to the work party location."
"Knobbies (tires) advised."

:ricky:ricky:ricky

K. L. Rocket 11-15-2012 08:46 AM

An early dinner will be provided free Saturday night. RSPV deadline is noon tomorrow: jctaggart@fs.fed.us or (530) 963-1328.

Event is to be held rain or shine. No snow forecasted for the work area.

skwidd 11-19-2012 12:52 PM

Did you get a little soaked over there?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:22 PM.