ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Rockies It's all downhill from here... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Amendment 64 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836840)

Mike D 10-26-2012 11:47 AM

Amendment 64

I'll completely understand if the mods want to remove this. Political, not motorcycle related, etc... My apologies if inappropriate.

I've posted a poll on a couple of different local interwebz boards, and am really surprised at the results.

JustinP 10-26-2012 11:54 AM

Reminds me - I need to sit down and read the details on this tonight. Can't make a decision until I have the facts. And this is about doobies, not politicians, so I think it's OK :clap

ColoradoBigfoot 10-26-2012 02:01 PM

I'm for it but....

this type of legislation will not pass until the alcholoic generations of the 40's, 50's, and 60's complete their life cycle.
Differnent generations, different dependancy. I guestimate around 2025 the HR puffin-stuff revolution will materialize :1drink.

TheDudeAbides 10-26-2012 02:07 PM

What's the point of making something "legal" in Colorado that is still illegal under frederal jurisdiction?

The FDA still says marijuana is a Schedule I drug. Until that changes, nothing really changes.

Narsisco Lopez 10-26-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides (Post 19906937)
What's the point of making something "legal" in Colorado that is still illegal under frederal jurisdiction?

The FDA still says marijuana is a Schedule I drug. Until that changes, nothing really changes.

It forces the issue. States will have to legalize first, then the Fed will follow suit. Or, so I believe.

Fifinella 10-26-2012 03:05 PM

I was ambivalent until I saw a high school kid smoking at a stoplight on his way to school two days ago. Seriously? WTF are you numbing yourself from at 16?

TheMuffinMan 10-26-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifinella (Post 19907293)
I was ambivalent until I saw a high school kid smoking at a stoplight on his way to school two days ago. Seriously? WTF are you numbing yourself from at 16?

High school sucks for a lot of kids. I can understand it.

Narsisco Lopez 10-26-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Kids have been doing that since I was in high school... hell, since my dad was in high school. Legalization means regulation and taxation... and will fund education. Keeping it illegal just keeps those illicit dollars going to drug dealers and border wars.

SnowMule 10-26-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides (Post 19906937)

Yea, still user's choice. Just like smoking, alcohol, riding motorcycles, etc.

Wired 10-26-2012 03:29 PM

I'm for legalizing marijuana, but after reading the blue book, it just seems like the proponents of this scraped something together to get it on the ballot.

It seems like there's still a bit of work to be done and issues that need to be resolved before it's legalized. I'm voting NO this election for it, not because I don't want it legalized, but it just seems like it will be legalized on a whim this year. Besides, it's still illegal federally.

JustinP 10-26-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

After some of the recent things done by youngsters in CO (columbine, baily, westminster etc), I think more of them need to smoke some weed before school.

TheDudeAbides 10-26-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowMule (Post 19907414)
Yea, still user's choice. Just like smoking, alcohol, riding motorcycles, etc.

I'm not following you. Smoking, booze and motorcycles aren't illegal at the federal level. Marijuana is.
It's a Schedule I controlled substance like heroin and worse than morphine which is sched II

Narsisco Lopez 10-26-2012 04:36 PM

Let's all go discuss it over a few beers and shots, then smoke a few cigarettes in the parking lot before riding our motorcycles home, over the speed limit, without our helmets on. :lol3

ironbrewer 10-26-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides (Post 19907753)
I'm not following you. Smoking, booze and motorcycles aren't illegal at the federal level. Marijuana is.
It's a Schedule I controlled substance like heroin and worse than morphine which is sched II

I realize that that is the current law, but do you really agree that pot is worse than morphine. Some laws are just stupid. Alcohol is way worse for you.

TheDudeAbides 10-26-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbrewer (Post 19907851)
I realize that that is the current law, but do you really agree that pot is worse than morphine. Some laws are just stupid. Alcohol is way worse for you.

No I don't think that pot is worse than morphine. At least in terms of risk of abuse and overdose risk. Pot is worse than morphine (or any opiate) as an analgesic (pain killer). Pot is worse than alcohol in terms of driving impairment (according to one study by the University of Iowa anyway).

Personally I don't care. People can smoke what they want for all I care.
My only point is that if you legalize it on the state level, you're still in violation of federal law. And federal law trumps state law. I'm not saying I agree with that, just saying that's the way it is.

A few years back, some states still had a drinking age of 18 when the federal law said it had to be 21. States that held out and refused to make it 21 saw their highway funds get cut.

The other thing I don't like about Amendment 64 is that they've tied marijuana tax revenue to school funding.

Worst
Idea
Ever.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:27 PM.