ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   990 adventure vs BMW 800GS (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836960)

turbojet 10-26-2012 08:36 PM

990 adventure vs BMW 800GS

I am looking at a 990 adventure to replace my BMW 800 GS. Issues that bother me are the seat, shocks, wind screen and wobble at high speed. I'm coming from a 1100 GS that I rode all over the Northwest including many miles on jeep trails and gravel. I'm disappointed with the highway and high speed performance of the GS 800, though it is better off road than the 1100 GS. I tend to ride 70-80 mph on the freeway with extended time off road on Forest Service roads. I am concerned about the fuel economy of the 990 but otherwise seems to fit the bill. Thanks Steve:1drink

4corners14 10-26-2012 09:13 PM

Is there a question somewhere in that statement?

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbojet (Post 19909500)
I am looking at a 990 adventure to replace my BMW 800 GS. Issues that bother me are the seat, shocks, wind screen and wobble at high speed. I'm coming from a 1100 GS that I rode all over the Northwest including many miles on jeep trails and gravel. I'm disappointed with the highway and high speed performance of the GS 800, though it is better off road than the 1100 GS. I tend to ride 70-80 mph on the freeway with extended time off road on Forest Service roads. I am concerned about the fuel economy of the 990 but otherwise seems to fit the bill. Thanks Steve:1drink

Having never ridden the 800 I can't give you a comparison view.....but I'm sure it won't take long to get some opinions when you chose this section of the site to post the topic. Here's a question for you though....are you really going to pick a new bike based on the MPG? You'll probably change all those other things on the 990 too. Just sayin'

what car?? 10-27-2012 11:08 AM

All these so called "issues" you speak of are so minor and trivial in the broader spectrum of things... Going on about 23k miles on the same seat and windscreen. I'm only about 5'7" though, if you're super tall then perhaps it might be an issue. Tire wobble is mainly on a set of Pirelli Scorpian tires. I ride Mefo tires at present and not experiencing tire wobble. Fuel economy... It's the fun factor compared to the fuel economy you should pay more attention to. Just me with panniers off I'm getting in the 40's mpg... As far as the shocks.... Having never ridden the 800 I can't comment on that. I do plan on changing out the fronts upon returning back to the states. They are adequate, but I think something a little firmer would fit the bill better. I do all the work on my bike myself so am not worried about the cost of repairs/modifications as much as if I had to take it in to the shop. Great bike, zero regrets, and glad I didn't choose a BM.

Denalidirt 10-27-2012 11:27 AM

no better bike.

The KTM is at the top of the pile. You buy these bikes for their performance off-road not for how comfy the seat is when your droning on the slab. If dirt runs through your veins the KTM is for you. It will eat miles of pavement with ease at 80, as well as dirt at that speed.

Scott Baja 10-27-2012 06:23 PM

Take a look at the motorcycle mag write-ups. They either claim the other bikes dont match up off-road to the KTM, or its not even mentioned. (this is just what I have read) Concerning off road travel, I can keep up with riders with far more experience than me. The KTM makes me feel like a much better rider than I am. I tear up dirt roads. I have owned a KLR and a R1100GS. Just my two cents...

Peanuts 10-28-2012 01:16 AM

I did a tour with a friend on his 800GS (17/21 rims), me on my 990 Adv (fitted with 17/19 rims).

On motorways we were same speed, cruising at 90 mph with ease. I had more top speed, but cruising was fine. His fuel economy was better than mine in terms of range and fuel used.

On smooth fireroad trails we were even. On washed out parts, rocky trails and grass I had to ride with more care than him. Some of this was due to my tyres, but a lot of it was due to the better agility and less weight of the 800.

Having said all this, he is not happy with his 800 and is looking for a 990 SMT........

v8toilet 10-30-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanuts (Post 19915753)
On washed out parts, rocky trails and grass I had to ride with more care than him. Some of this was due to my tyres, but a lot of it was due to the better agility and less weight of the 800.

Having said all this, he is not happy with his 800 and is looking for a 990 SMT........

???

I switched from an F8 to an LC8. There is no contest in the rough stuff unless you are replacing the suspension on the F8 at a cost of thousands.

BigTony 10-30-2012 02:01 PM

Well I'll chime in - I went on a ride out in black rock desert last August with me on my 990 adv with SPS suspension and another fellow on an 800gs. He had geared the crap out of it - like 16/47 I think. Anyway, there was nothing my 990 could do that his couldn't, and he got way better mileage and range than mine, and mine kept wanting to overheat.

I'm pretty big and the 990 fits me better than the 800gs, but I have to give respect where it's due and admit that 800 worked better than my 990 (I just went on a crazy modification/maintenance binge so hopefully I've addressed the overheating for once and all now...)

LukasM 10-30-2012 02:55 PM

I've got an F800 and my uncle and cousin both ride a 990, so we switch around quite a bit.

In stock form the F8 is pretty dangerous when you try to go faster as it will constantly bottom (sooner than a 990 even with stock springs) and bounce you all over the place. Going slow it's not too bad though, somewhat plush and it does feel a bit lighter than the 990.

Once you upgrade the suspension to 950/990 level, or better, I find it quite a bit easier to ride off road, slow and fast. :wink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...92/file-67.jpg

Douf 10-30-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbojet (Post 19909500)
I am looking at a 990 adventure to replace my BMW 800 GS. Issues that bother me are the seat, shocks, wind screen and wobble at high speed.

These are all issues with the GS correct? IMHO comparing stock to stock, the windscreen and seat are worse on the KTM. And given that your stated off road use is fairly mild, the KTM might feel more physically imposing if you're not 6'+.

Douf

Off Road Ryder 10-30-2012 05:31 PM

Well. There you have it, the gs800 is a much better bike than a 990:lol3:lol3:lol3
They certainly do fit better in a starbucks parking lot.:wink:

LukasM 10-30-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports (Post 19935561)
Well. There you have it, the gs800 is a much better bike than a 990:lol3:lol3:lol3
They certainly do fit better in a starbucks parking lot.:wink:

If it had 20 horses more and came with those wheels, suspension, and brakes stock, I might argue that way. But it doesn't, so... Sure is a hell of a lot easier to change the oil on it though!!:deal

turbojet 10-30-2012 07:21 PM

I appreciate all the replies to my original posting. I've ridden a 990 as well (on road) but my current bike is an f800GS. I do a lot of long distance high speed days and the 800gs has a mild high speed wobble and tends to not like much speed above 80mph without feeling like I'm pushing it to hard, which I'm hoping the additional HP from the KTM would nullify. Off road its fine but I think the KTM is better. My real concern is getting used to the maintenance (which after much research does not seem that hard) after coming off a stream of BMW's. I like working on bikes and still believe the KTM would offer the better all around experience on and off road. I think this thread was started mostly because I have a hard time giving up on BMW (as a long term 30 year BMW rider). In terms of dual sport riding I've been through a BMW 1100GS, KLR650, Kawasaki KLX250 and Vstrom 650. Thanks.:freaky

NKL 10-31-2012 06:01 AM

I have not found any high speed stability issues, even when loaded up with hard luggage. Get the front end wobble at about 35mph but it's not an issue unless you use no hands.

Misery Goat 10-31-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanuts (Post 19915753)

On smooth fireroad trails we were even. On washed out parts, rocky trails and grass I had to ride with more care than him. Some of this was due to my tyres, but a lot of it was due to the better agility and less weight of the 800.

Sounds like rider error. :D

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:16 PM.