ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Strange 950ADV coolant issue - need help please... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836993)

alongat 10-27-2012 03:48 AM

Strange 950ADV coolant issue - need help please...
 
Hello everyone. I have recently bought a 2004 950ADV from my friend. Bike has 49,000km on it. One time when he and I did a ride when the bike was still his, after about 2 hours of highway, we got off the highway for a break and the 950ADV puked out some coolant out of the reservoir. It wasn't much, just a good size puddle and the overflow just stopped - we assumed it had been overfilled. We continued to ride for the next two days with no issues. I bought the bike and have ridden it a lot in different scenarios with no issues. Last week after a few hours on the highway, again, we stopped for a break and the bike puked out coolant (bright and green). The coolant reservoir indicated coolant in it toward the lower end of the range but it ran fine and did not run hot. I ignored it and we kept on for the rest of the day. On my way home, I hit some city traffic and toward the end of my city ride (about 20 minutes of stop and go (mostly stop), the bike ended up running hot enough to show all bars of temperature and flash a red light at me. No coolant on the ground this time. I finally got the bike home and noticed that the coolant reservoir was nearly empty. I am stumped - is there a coolant blockage somewhere? Is the coolant system somehow developing air pockets on these highway rides - enough to overflow the coolant reservoir and then run low when I need the coolant? The fan works - I can hear it kick in at the correct temperature range, the bike runs fine otherwise. Coolant pump failing? Blockages of some sort? I am not seeing any white smoke out of the exhaust so I assume I don't have any blown head gaskets or damaged water passages, etc...

Any ideas or previous experience similar to this? Please share - I really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

kingrj 10-27-2012 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alongat (Post 19910479)
Hello everyone. I have recently bought a 2004 950ADV from my friend. Bike has 49,000km on it. One time when he and I did a ride when the bike was still his, after about 2 hours of highway, we got off the highway for a break and the 950ADV puked out some coolant out of the reservoir. It wasn't much, just a good size puddle and the overflow just stopped - we assumed it had been overfilled. We continued to ride for the next two days with no issues. I bought the bike and have ridden it a lot in different scenarios with no issues. Last week after a few hours on the highway, again, we stopped for a break and the bike puked out coolant (bright and green). The coolant reservoir indicated coolant in it toward the lower end of the range but it ran fine and did not run hot. I ignored it and we kept on for the rest of the day. On my way home, I hit some city traffic and toward the end of my city ride (about 20 minutes of stop and go (mostly stop), the bike ended up running hot enough to show all bars of temperature and flash a red light at me. No coolant on the ground this time. I finally got the bike home and noticed that the coolant reservoir was nearly empty. I am stumped - is there a coolant blockage somewhere? Is the coolant system somehow developing air pockets on these highway rides - enough to overflow the coolant reservoir and then run low when I need the coolant? The fan works - I can hear it kick in at the correct temperature range, the bike runs fine otherwise. Coolant pump failing? Blockages of some sort? I am not seeing any white smoke out of the exhaust so I assume I don't have any blown head gaskets or damaged water passages, etc...

Any ideas or previous experience similar to this? Please share - I really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Mine did the same and I replaced the radiator cap which was defective and it solved the problem...The system needs to be pressurized..

Deuce 10-27-2012 05:08 AM

Rad cap for sure. Mine did the same thing. They get gummed up, rubber hardens and looses seal. :1drink

alongat 10-27-2012 05:49 AM

Thanks guys - I don't think this leak is coming from the radiator area, I thought it is coming from the overflow tank hose but for the price of the rad cap, it sounds like it would make sense to start there.

Thanks again

Deuce 10-27-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alongat (Post 19910789)
Thanks guys - I don't think this leak is coming from the radiator area, I thought it is coming from the overflow tank hose but for the price of the rad cap, it sounds like it would make sense to start there.

Thanks again

There is an overflow hose from your rad cap mount that goes into the overflow tank. When the rad cap fails to seal or your engine overheats the pressurized water flows through the hose into your overflow tank. That is why you don't see any seepage from the rad cap.

:1drink

alongat 10-27-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce (Post 19910812)
There is an overflow hose from your rad cap mount that goes into the overflow tank. When the rad cap fails to seal or your engine overheats the pressurized water flows through the hose into your overflow tank. That is why you don't see any seepage from the rad cap.

:1drink

Ah, perfect - makes sense. Thanks again guys


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014