ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shiny things (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Compact/Midsize trucks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837072)

levain 10-27-2012 01:07 PM

Compact/Midsize trucks

In the market. I'm looking to replace a 2004 Dodge Dakota. It's been a good truck. A great truck actually. It's just time to move on so I'm looking around. I'd love to find a truck about the same size or smaller that gets half way decent gas mileage. I mean, it's 2012. These guys could do it if they wanted to. Anyway, I suppose anything will be an upgrade from my 15 mpg V8.

I don't want/need a V8. I don't haul anything. This isn't a work truck (although work owns it). It's my daily driver when not on the bike. I like trucks, cos I like trucks, but I do find myself moving things around for work quite often, but I guess I'd consider something else. I'm just not a car guy though...

Chevrolet Colorado?

Toyota Tacoma?

Nissan Frontier

This review shows Toyota out ahead of the pack.

Thoughts?

Andyinhilo 10-27-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levain (Post 19912681)
In the market. I'm looking to replace a 2004 Dodge Dakota. It's been a good truck. A great truck actually. It's just time to move on so I'm looking around. I'd love to find a truck about the same size or smaller that gets half way decent gas mileage. I mean, it's 2012. These guys could do it if they wanted to. Anyway, I suppose anything will be an upgrade from my 15 mpg V8.

I don't want/need a V8. I don't haul anything. This isn't a work truck (although work owns it). It's my daily driver when not on the bike. I like trucks, cos I like trucks, but I do find myself moving things around for work quite often, but I guess I'd consider something else. I'm just not a car guy though...

Chevrolet Colorado?

Toyota Tacoma?

Nissan Frontier

This review shows Toyota out ahead of the pack.

Thoughts?

Except the Colorado, unless you get a truck older than the one you already have, these are bigger than the Dakota you have now, and not likely to do any better on fuel with any of them.

Here in the US the small pickup went extinct with the end of the Ford Ranger. I have one that is and has been a great little truck, but it isn't that great on mileage either. If I was looking, I would include the F-150 and the Dodge 1500.

levain 10-27-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyinhilo (Post 19912715)

Here in the US the small pickup went extinct with the end of the Ford Ranger.

Yeah. It's a real bummer.

FatChance 10-27-2012 05:30 PM

I bought a new 2007 Tacoma Sport, V6/auto, double cab, long bed and could not be happier. It is paid for and trouble free. I expect to have it for a long, long time. The last tank was 21mpg. Pay it up-front or later on, it has been a wonderful purchase. Zero regrets.

Snarky 10-27-2012 05:39 PM

My truck is an 07 FJ Cruiser. Pretty much exactly the same as a V6 Tacoma, but an SUV. I'm at 5 years and 100000 problem free miles. Just a few wear and tear items replaced, but nothing major or expensive.

Used to get 21 mpg, with mods I've made it worse. I love it.

Buzz363 10-27-2012 06:20 PM

Bought an 04 Canyon crew cab last year. I 5 has pretty good power and gets good mileage on the highway if I keep the tach at 1500 rpm. Approx 55 mph.

Trail Ryder 10-27-2012 06:27 PM

Dad and I both owned first-year Chevy Colorados. Good trucks. I miss mine.

squidhunter 10-28-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail Ryder (Post 19914282)

Wish I could say the same. I bought a 2007 Colorado new right after college. Most disappointing vehicle purchase yet. Paper thin paint that chipped and scratched way too easily, soft, cheap plastic interior you can gouge with your fingernail, and seat foam shavings covering the floor.

I didn't have any problems mechanically, and for a 4-cylinder, it had decent power. I was just underwhelmed by the build quality. Turned me off GM products. I traded it for a 10-yr old Tundra and never looked back.

OhBoy 10-28-2012 05:40 PM

I like my Ridgeline
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=39326

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/r...innh/014-2.jpg

SportsGuy 10-28-2012 05:52 PM

Bought our 2011 Toyota Tacoma new last year. Love the truck! 4wd, 4 cyl, 5 speed, regular cab. I've seen fuel economy reach up to almost 22 mpg. I've only out 6600 miles on it in a year, but it's been great in the snow, rain and offroad where it schooled some other Tacoma drivers with fully built rigs. ;)

troidus 10-28-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail Ryder (Post 19914282)

I was disappointed that the Colorado was larger than the S-10. And when I looked at a first-year model, there appeared to be rust traps built into the bed, especially where the front bulkhead and the floor met. It looked like a place where there should have been a bead of seam sealer. If nothing else, it was going to trap water, grit, small drill bits, etc., and be a pain to clean out. And the Transformers styling never did anything for me.

HardCase 10-28-2012 05:59 PM

Up until just a little over a year ago I owned a 2008 Tacoma regular-cab 4wd, 4cyl, 5speed, very basic, cost about 18K new, traded it last October for 17K after putting over 30K miles on it. I decided I needed something bigger and went with the Tundra, but that's a whole different deal.

If I were in the market for a small basic truck now I'd not hesitate to get another Tacoma. I'd probably go with the extended cab (not the double) in order to have some inside storage space and emergency passenger room, but other than that I'd go with the 4cyl. A good friend of mine has one and loves it. My BIL got a Tacoma Double-cab with the 6cyl automatic, and complains that his mileage sucks.....but other than that he likes it. But the 4cyl Tacomas are pretty gutless, it goes from zero to 70 in about a half an hour. :lol3

kobudo28 10-28-2012 06:06 PM

I like my Ridgeline as well, 2007 RTX and I got 19+ mpg the last time I checked, combined city and highway. It does all that I have asked of it with Honda reliability.

Crocodile Tears 10-28-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsGuy (Post 19920240)
Bought our 2011 Toyota Tacoma new last year. Love the truck! 4wd, 4 cyl, 5 speed, regular cab. I've seen fuel economy reach up to almost 22 mpg. I've only out 6600 miles on it in a year, but it's been great in the snow, rain and offroad where it schooled some other Tacoma drivers with fully built rigs. ;)

I have a 2012 access cab in the same configuration. Good truck, up to 25 mpg, but generally gets 21 in mixed driving. I've put 14k on it since buying new in march. No complaints, even in the power department. I didn't buy it to go fast - that's what the B12 is for.

AC Swank 10-28-2012 08:24 PM

Isn't the Chevy Colorado being discontinued after this model year?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:58 PM.