ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   License privacy? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837274)

Max Buffet 10-28-2012 11:45 AM

License privacy?

Are there security concerns with displaying my MC tags in a Craig's list or a classified here?
I see some guys blur them out (how do you do that, btw).
Could it be used for some dark purpose?
Probably another dumb question...
Thanks!
:ear

GSequoia 10-28-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Buffet (Post 19917783)
Are there security concerns with displaying my MC tags in a Craig's list or a classified here?
Thanks!

As far as I'm concerned it's paranoia. I never obscure my plates.

StupidDogCoffee 10-28-2012 12:12 PM

If you ask me it's unnecessary. License plates aren't exactly private, when you're on the road anyone with eyes can see them.

KeithinSC 10-28-2012 12:12 PM

Some people worry about fraud on a similar bike to the one that you can see the plate on. I dunno.

But to obscure it; a rag or duct tape is old school! Or, use the 'blur' or 'smear' tool in a Photoshop or Paint program . Or you can cut and paste a blob over the plate.

opmike 10-28-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Buffet (Post 19917783)
Thanks!

Programs like Photoshop have various blurring, smudging, and swirling tools. Other image editors have similar features.

Max Buffet 10-28-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StupidDogCoffee (Post 19917931)
If you ask me it's unnecessary. License plates aren't exactly private, when you're on the road anyone with eyes can see them.

Pretty much what I thought, but then I sometimes miss the big picture.
:D

perterra 10-28-2012 12:27 PM

Depends on who your hiding from I guess.

tedder 10-28-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perterra (Post 19918011)
Depends on who your hiding from I guess.

you're.

Here's another thread about the topic.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800744

the_sandman_454 10-28-2012 04:37 PM

I always figured it was a layer of privacy so people couldn't tie your screen name directly to who you are. I don't really care either way as long as the photo doesn't show both my plate and some sort of illegal activity simultaneously.

troidus 10-28-2012 05:09 PM

Beware the blurring tools. At least some of them can be reversed. You're probably better off cutting out the section and replacing it with something else.

The difference between the plate being visible IRL and on the Internet is that only a few thousand people will see it IRL, and they're all local to you. On the Internet, it's visible to 7 billion people, and if one of them decides to do something illegal with the info, you'll probably not be able to identify or prosecute him.

Butters 10-28-2012 05:34 PM

What I really find ironic is some people will obscure their license plate, but then provide a VIN (presumably for Carfax purposes). I have no issue with displaying the plate, and really don't have an issue with providing a VIN. However, I have seen car thieves use other vehicle's VINs to make a fake VIN plate so that it returns as a valid VIN. Even still, I would provide my VIN to a prospective buyer unless I had a bad feeling about them. I have no idea what somebody could use your license plate for.

But much like license plates, your VIN is almost as visible when parked.

Twilight Error 10-28-2012 05:37 PM

If its my own tag, I don't bother obscuring. If it belongs to someone else, and isn't the point of the photo, I do obscure.

STUFF2C 10-28-2012 06:47 PM

I only blur mine when I blow through a toll booth

AZbiker 10-28-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troidus (Post 19919547)
Beware the blurring tools. At least some of them can be reversed. You're probably better off cutting out the section and replacing it with something else.

The difference between the plate being visible IRL and on the Internet is that only a few thousand people will see it IRL, and they're all local to you. On the Internet, it's visible to 7 billion people, and if one of them decides to do something illegal with the info, you'll probably not be able to identify or prosecute him.

Post a naughty pic of the SO with her face blurred and if that photo makes it down to the basement of the internet she will be doxed within HOURS.

Anon can work very quickly when it wants to.

glasswave 10-28-2012 10:33 PM

Associating your username & plate number devalues the amount of money that google or facebook could sell your personal information for.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:07 PM.