ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Wire Harness Routing on a 2007 990? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837291)

Rockwell 10-28-2012 11:28 AM

Wire Harness Routing on a 2007 990?

I am trying to go from my notes and photos to determine the routing of the entire wire harness (relative to the frame and other parts), but it's proving to be a bit difficult. I've labelled each connector and know where everything goes, I'm just not certain about some of the exact routing.

Is there any good resource/link for this?

Kenbike 10-28-2012 05:39 PM

The service manual is very detailed, it would help.

Rockwell 10-28-2012 06:51 PM

I've skimmed through the service manual already, but there's nothing regarding physical routing of the wires.

I've gone from memory, photos, and my notes and I have most things routes and connected. Today was mostly a write-off as I am recovering from a Halloween party night.

KTMADV 10-29-2012 12:52 AM

I just removed a 2007 ktm 990 adv wire harness off my bike. I labeled everything when I removed harn8fess. I can help .

Rockwell 10-29-2012 07:49 AM

I also labelled everything. It's not completely necessary since the repair manual lists all of the connectors. My issue was more a matter of where exactly the wires ran in relation to the frame and other components. I came to the conclusion that is didn't matter too much as long as I can safely get each connector to where it is supposed to go without obstructing other components that will be mounted later (radiator, tanks, etc.). Hopefully, it will work out OK. There are two main runs, one down each side of the engine. The right side is for the rear break and ABS stuff, and the left is for the rear exhaust O2 sensor, rear cylinder spark plug, etc.

I am removing the SAS stuff, which will clear out some much-needed space inside. I probably should remove the charcoal cannister as well while I am in there.

geometrician 10-29-2012 08:50 AM

Take Your Time

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenbike (Post 19920134)
The service manual is very detailed, it would help.

No it isn't!

KTM NA has been well aware of the fact their manuals have NO wire routing diagrams, and have asked KTM Austria to produce diagrams & photos which will be used to update the CD-ROM's and the site KTM has for (dealership) service technicians.

funny, I remember 30yrs ago when I got my first factory service manual and while looking at the chapter detailing the routing of wires, cables & hoses from every possible angle, thought "Why would anyone need that? It's obvious, isn't it?"

heh heh, well, no, not always :lol3

Some manufacturers have a label wrapped around the main wiring harness that is aligned on a specific part of the frame to help when you're putting an entire harness back on a bike. We don't have this- so it's trial & error fitting.

I actually got a good bit more slack and reduced stretching & abrasions by carefully re-adjusting (and when needed re-routing) the harness (after taking 100 pictures before I took it apart!). Keep everything loose until you're satisfied with things. As most nylon cable (zip) ties are long enough I will double the wrap in some places, or run a single loop around the harness and two around the frame (or vice-versa) so it holds the harness in place but doesn't crush it directly against the frame (or other components). Since we're usually cutting several inches off each tie when we're done it makes sense to get all the "use" out of the plastic we paid for!

This is also a good time to remove safety relays, shunt the 2nd/3rd gear sensor wires, etc

Rockwell 10-29-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geometrician (Post 19923727)
This is also a good time to remove safety relays, shunt the 2nd/3rd gear sensor wires, etc

Can you elaborate on this or provide a link?

BIGCOD 10-31-2012 06:54 PM

acc wires

Can someone tell me how to identify the acc wires behind the head light so I can wire my gps in?? I plan to have a look once my custom gps bracket is finished later this week :clap

Rockwell 10-31-2012 07:06 PM

This is from my repair manual:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ster77/ACC.png

If you have the same bike, you'll want to look for the red/black wire for ACC2 and the red/yellow wire for ACC1.

BIGCOD 10-31-2012 08:09 PM

ok thanks, mine is an 08 990 and apparently there are conections available from the acc fuses behind the headlight in the wiring loom?

Rockwell 11-01-2012 06:03 AM

Both of those connections, ACC1 and ACC2, go back to the main fuse block (10A fuses) in the glove compartment on my wiring schematic. I'm not too sure where the actual physical connection point is for these two (maybe behind the headlight?). I'll have to look next time I get to working on my bike. I'm taking a few days off of rebuilding the entire bike while I wait for my TuneECU cables.

DSM8 11-01-2012 03:09 PM

Maybe this will help

This is from when I went from EFI to carbs, I took many many pictures of the removal process for the 990 harness. Same model year.

Scroll through them and hope it helps with what you need.

http://dsm8.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/...6311&k=KCrZmB5

Rockwell 11-01-2012 03:16 PM

Thanks. I got most of everything routed from the photos I took and from memory of when I disassembled it. I'm sure my routing is not exactly the same as before I stripped it down, but everything seems to be where it should be as I have most everything connected now.

Going to be finishing up this weekend. My TuneECU cables have shipped, and hopefully I'll have them by next week.

I've recently been learning 3DS Max (which is a 3D modelling program) and I am thinking about making a 3D model of the bike and its wire routing (if I ever get the time). It should come in handy for others in the future.

BIGCOD 11-02-2012 04:27 AM

wired in the gps today, it was very easy with both acc connections easy to pick behind the headlight and one was even labelled.
A wiring diagramme certinally helps thou!

Rockwell 11-02-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSM8;19949372[url
http://dsm8.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Modifications/990-EFI-to-Carbs/14555515_Qk3Q88#!i=1081596311&k=KCrZmB5[/url]

At first, I didn't notice that there were several pages of photos. I still have to run all the cables and wires to the handlebars, so this will coe in handy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGCOD (Post 19952731)
wired in the gps today, it was very easy with both acc connections easy to pick behind the headlight and one was even labelled.
A wiring diagramme certinally helps thou!

Also, unless I am missing something, it looks like ACC1 is connected directly through the 10A fuse to the battery, which means that anything connected to this will drain the battery when the bike is not running. ACC2 is connected through a 10A fuse and through the light relay, so it is only powered when they key is in and turned.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:37 AM.