ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Mojave trail/road on a 990? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837385)

Gila Monster 10-28-2012 08:01 PM

Mojave trail/road on a 990?
 
Never been there. How would it be on a 990 fully loaded? How bad are the sandy stretches?

larryboy 10-28-2012 08:08 PM

BigWan can do it, the rest of us cannot. :deal

johngil 10-28-2012 08:10 PM

Should be alright with some good riding skills from what I remember.
Can't be skeered of sand or rocks, though.

tbarstow 10-28-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gila Monster (Post 19921119)
Never been there. How would it be on a 990 fully loaded? How bad are the sandy stretches?

Lots of rocks and whoops. Bring a lot of front tubes for your 990.

DannyG 10-28-2012 08:47 PM

when r u planing to do it?

scorpion 10-28-2012 08:50 PM

Deep sand and fully loaded 990 is tiring but not impossible.
I tried it for a day, didnt care for it :lol3
TKC front and a steering damper.

Take pics!

Fubars 10-28-2012 09:21 PM

If there's any mud on Soda Lake, you'll be hating it.

DannyG 10-28-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubars (Post 19921471)
If there's any mud on Soda Lake, you'll be hating it.


or u just skip it...

Information Service for up-to-the-minute road conditions 1-800-427-7623

DannyG 10-28-2012 09:39 PM

http://www.nps.gov/moja/current-conditions.htm

Gila Monster 10-28-2012 10:19 PM

No specific date planned yet but I definitely won't go if the lake isn't dry. Rocks don't scare me on the 990 but sand can be a challenge.

I originally planned to do it on my 450 but then I started reading about all the stupid CA vehicle requirements. My AZ bike is Street legal and insured but I don't have turn signals, DOT tires or emissions. I figured maybe it would be OK to just make a long weekend ride on my 990 ADV instead.

traveltoad 10-29-2012 07:04 AM

I did it on a loaded R1150GSAdv a few years back... that pig was a handfull for sure. But if I can do it on a GS as an average rider, it is very doable on a 990 Adv.

And if Soda lake is wet, it is easy enough to bypass it just east of Zzyxx.

Lucky Explorer 10-29-2012 07:42 AM

There are a couple sandy streches, but much is two track jeep roads. It is fabulous country. My wife and I have ridden it twice, 2up on a Dakar Elefant, similer to the 990, maybe taller. That was with gear. I have ridden it on a BMW Dakar bike, the Duc several times,a 650 Elefant a couple times, and a 640 Rallye. All rather large bikes. Yes, on a wet Soda lake, but got the mud off at a Baker motel! You can follow fairly well the cairn markers, but a book map is available thru Friends of the Mojave Road if needed. FYI, the original road, a military trail went from Prescott to Camp Cady near Barstow. Enjoy!
Allen.

traveltoad 10-29-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer (Post 19923275)
There are a couple sandy streches, but much is two track jeep roads. It is fabulous country. My wife and I have ridden it twice, 2up on a Dakar Elefant, similer to the 990, maybe taller. That was with gear. I have ridden it on a BMW Dakar bike, the Duc several times,a 650 Elefant a couple times, and a 640 Rallye. All rather large bikes. Yes, on a wet Soda lake, but got the mud off at a Baker motel! You can follow fairly well the cairn markers, but a book map is available thru Friends of the Mojave Road if needed. FYI, the original road, a military trail went from Prescott to Camp Cady near Barstow. Enjoy!
Allen.

The area around Prescott is amazing!

DannyG 10-29-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gila Monster (Post 19921663)
No specific date planned yet but I definitely won't go if the lake isn't dry. Rocks don't scare me on the 990 but sand can be a challenge.

I originally planned to do it on my 450 but then I started reading about all the stupid CA vehicle requirements. My AZ bike is Street legal and insured but I don't have turn signals, DOT tires or emissions. I figured maybe it would be OK to just make a long weekend ride on my 990 ADV instead.


my CRF450X (stock) had AZ plate from 2006 to 2011 never had problems... just need to have DOT tires...

ybracing 10-29-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gila Monster (Post 19921663)
No specific date planned yet but I definitely won't go if the lake isn't dry. Rocks don't scare me on the 990 but sand can be a challenge.

I originally planned to do it on my 450 but then I started reading about all the stupid CA vehicle requirements. My AZ bike is Street legal and insured but I don't have turn signals, DOT tires or emissions. I figured maybe it would be OK to just make a long weekend ride on my 990 ADV instead.

I don't have turn signals on my 525 (plated) and have never had a problem with the authorities. They are more concerned with current registration, insurance and that you are on a legal trail. Have a great ride!


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014