ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Laced G/S wheel ? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838257)

kellymac530 11-01-2012 03:55 PM

Laced G/S wheel ?

Curious if anyone has ever tried to lace a later style tubless rim onto an airhead monolever hub?

Could it be done?

I know that spoke sealing is a big love it or hate it thing, but are the rims on my '86 R80G/S ones that could be sealed and lock the tubless tire on...if that makes sense? {I know most tube type rims are not set up to hold the tire tight without a rim lock, some are though...}

Airhead Wrangler 11-01-2012 04:04 PM

Is it possible? Probably. I for one, wouldn't go about building a boat with a bunch of holes in the bottom of it plugged with corks though, if you get what I mean. You could try that Tu-bliss thing if you're really hell bent on running tubeless tires. I prefer tubes though.

kellymac530 11-01-2012 04:14 PM

Not a fan of the Tubliss system. Ran them on a buddies Husky TE510 and just not my favorite.

I am not wanting to use the sealed rim setup if I do no have to, I would rather lace on a later style exterior spoked rim like the newer GS/GSA has.

Someone needs to make a kit....

I HATE tubes. Love tubeless tires even in the dirt. On the Tubliss it was not that there was no tube that I did not like, that was great, but they always slow leaked and were harder to balance and seemed to not stay balanced for me. Now you have 2 things to keep aired up.

Airhead Wrangler 11-01-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellymac530 (Post 19949394)
I am not wanting to use the sealed rim setup if I do no have to, I would rather lace on a later style exterior spoked rim like the newer GS/GSA has.

The issue with fitting the later rims is that they have the nipples in the hubs and fixed head of the spokes in the rim. Opposite to what you have and that's tough to just flip around.

Prutser 11-01-2012 04:34 PM

Could it be done just like you see on tube less rims in some trial bikes?
The nuts in the middle of the spoke.

I have noticed that using low pressure on the front tubless rim the tire comes off real easy.

_cy_ 11-01-2012 04:43 PM

some folks pay extra to get tubed wheels with spokes...

kellymac530 11-01-2012 05:11 PM

I have laced wheels with tubes....I want laced wheels with NO tubes.

I normally do not run real low pressure in the front tire anyway.

The center adjuster is a possible idea.

I just really thought someone would have some kit or some cool set up. I can not be the only guy who wants a tubless tire on a G/S.

One Less Harley 11-01-2012 05:12 PM

tubless GS rims are next to impossible to true only one place I know of does it. Woodies wheel works will seal you tube rim for tubeless tires. Tubliss has many disadvantages which I won't go into. The GS rim has problems with Heidenuas K60's holding air.

Am I the only guy who likes tube rims on his G/S????? I didn't wan the GS tubeless rim on the R100GS front end conversion. Laced a much better Excell rim to the GS hub. Tube tires are easier to remove from the rim.

Airhead Wrangler 11-01-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Less Harley (Post 19949769)
Am I the only guy who like tube rims on his G/S?????

No.

kellymac530 11-01-2012 05:41 PM

I am just concerned with the rear. I have some ideas for the front end anyway...full swap, but we will see soon.
Just on the rear you are married to it.

One Less Harley 11-01-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler (Post 19949892)
No.

:freaky

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:16 PM.