ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Racing (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   BITD vs. D37 Hare and Hound (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838424)

CramerTV 11-02-2012 11:02 AM

BITD vs. D37 Hare and Hound
 
I was thinking about doing one or more of the BITD races next year and was wondering how they compare the the D37 H&H races. I've only ever done the first loop but I've done a couple of the Nationals first loops which weren't a cakewalk.

Are the BITD courses more, equal to or less technical? Obviously they are a lot longer than 45 miles but if the terrain is easier then more miles doesn't take more skill, just more conditioning.

Thanks for any input.

Strong Bad 11-02-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CramerTV (Post 19954617)
I was thinking about doing one or more of the BITD races next year and was wondering how they compare the the D37 H&H races. I've only ever done the first loop but I've done a couple of the Nationals first loops which weren't a cakewalk.

Are the BITD courses more, equal to or less technical? Obviously they are a lot longer than 45 miles but if the terrain is easier then more miles doesn't take more skill, just more conditioning.

Thanks for any input.

Save your money until you get your black numbers in D-37 before you spend the high dollar BITD entry fees. BITD has bike only races which have D-37 style single track. However, all of the races that also have cars are all on non-technical uber fast two track. If you can't do 2 loops in D-37 you shouldn't be in BITD. Wait until you are good enough to finish all of the loops at a national then step up to BITD.

CramerTV 11-02-2012 07:22 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to run black numbers next year. Maybe I'll wait until 2014 to try BITD.

wrk2surf 11-03-2012 12:39 PM

There are two you may really like, First would be the Parker 250 which is a staggered start each minute a racer leaves, loop race, if you are iron man you do only two loops of three. A tough race but do able for you I belive.. Second would be the Laughlin hare scrambles an AMA style loop race with side by side two man starts. If you want to test your all out speed a good one would be the Silverstate 300 which has hardly any technical ridiing but will keep you busy learning how to watch for markers, follow a course and get out of the way of vehicles as well.

Strong Bad 11-03-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrk2surf (Post 19961700)
There are two you may really like, First would be the Parker 250 which is a staggered start each minute a racer leaves, loop race, if you are iron man you do only two loops of three. A tough race but do able for you I belive.. Second would be the Laughlin hare scrambles an AMA style loop race with side by side two man starts. If you want to test your all out speed a good one would be the Silverstate 300 which has hardly any technical ridiing but will keep you busy learning how to watch for markers, follow a course and get out of the way of vehicles as well.

Perhaps MAYBE running those 2 as a full blown Novice, but he is a red number one loop only novice aka: begginer racer. finishing one loop of a National H&H is NOTHING compared to doing both loops. He needs to develop enough strength and skill before playing with the big boys.

eatpasta 11-03-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strong Bad (Post 19962280)
Perhaps MAYBE running those 2 as a full blown Novice, but he is a red number one loop only novice aka: begginer racer. finishing one loop of a National H&H is NOTHING compared to doing both loops. He needs to develop enough strength and skill before playing with the big boys.

Ive been racing D37 for a few years now and I have yet to complete a full race.

I hit the wall, my first time attempting all loops. Laid down in the desert for four hours waiting to get help to go back in, completely exhausted. The Coyotes all showed up in shorts wondering what the hell I was doing....

I have to learn how to pace myself.....

:shog

and I suck

:nod

CramerTV 11-03-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatpasta (Post 19962319)
I have to learn how to pace myself.....

That's the biggest part of my problem too - I am completely wiped after one loop. That's why I crashed at Checkers - I was shaking from lack of energy and just lost it going down the hill.

frog 11-03-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CramerTV (Post 19963460)
That's the biggest part of my problem too - I am completely wiped after one loop. That's why I crashed at Checkers - I was shaking from lack of energy and just lost it going down the hill.

Then definitely run more races and train on longer rides.bitd races are much faster and with more speed comes harder crashes. Don't ask how I figured that out.:cry

MotoMike 11-04-2012 11:42 AM

You can train and run and do all the gym stuff all you want, nothing is going to prepare you like racing every weekend will. Ask Pasta boy.

I do not train. I do not go to the gym. Don't run, eat sensible, abstain from alcohol or sex ( hell, thats my cardio training), all I do is race. I realize some people actually have lives and budgets and real responsibilities, but you are never going to get the experience if you only race 3 or 4 times a year. You are going to get tired, frustrated and possibly injured.

Unless you are some kind of phenom that has gobs of natural talent, you need to make a commitment, tell yourself you are going to ride at least one or two races a month, go slower than you want to so that you can actually FINISH a race, screw the result, just learn what it takes to get to the end.

Then work your way up from there.

Now if you'll excuse me....:freaky

Strong Bad 11-04-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoMike (Post 19967749)
You can train and run and do all the gym stuff all you want, nothing is going to prepare you like racing every weekend will. Ask Pasta boy.

I do not train. I do not go to the gym. Don't run, eat sensible, abstain from alcohol or sex ( hell, thats my cardio training), all I do is race. I realize some people actually have lives and budgets and real responsibilities, but you are never going to get the experience if you only race 3 or 4 times a year. You are going to get tired, frustrated and possibly injured.

Unless you are some kind of phenom that has gobs of natural talent, you need to make a commitment, tell yourself you are going to ride at least one or two races a month, go slower than you want to so that you can actually FINISH a race, screw the result, just learn what it takes to get to the end.

Then work your way up from there.

Now if you'll excuse me....:freaky


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This!

The thing you have to remember is that this is endurance racing. You start each race with only so much energy that day, how you spend that energy during the race will determine if you finish or not. "To finish first, you must first finish!!" As you build endurance, your speed should also increase as you prolly won't be spending as much energy to go fast as you did when you started racing. You will learn that there are places that you will be able to relax and recover. Almost NOBODY racing today can go 100% the entire race. Pace yourself at 75 to 80% and use short bursts of 100 or 110% to pass.

frog 11-04-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strong Bad (Post 19970733)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This!

The thing you have to remember is that this is endurance racing. You start each race with only so much energy that day, how you spend that energy during the race will determine if you finish or not. "To finish first, you must first finish!!" As you build endurance, your speed should also increase as you prolly won't be spending as much energy to go fast as you did when you started racing. You will learn that there are places that you will be able to relax and recover. Almost NOBODY racing today can go 100% the entire race. Pace yourself at 75 to 80% and use short bursts of 100 or 110% to pass.

B.s. come Nov 15 I'm going 110% till LA paz. Lol.

Riding is the best training... if you are in decent physical shape. If you can't finish a 45 mile race without being spent go to the gym and you'll soon be able to do two loops.

Until two months ago I had never gone to the gym to train but an upcoming race warranted it. Now I wish I had done it sooner. Huge difference in my riding.

eatpasta 11-04-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoMike (Post 19967749)
You can train and run and do all the gym stuff all you want, nothing is going to prepare you like racing every weekend will. Ask Pasta boy.

:cry

so true. I can do a half marathon one weekend, a short triathlon the next and feel fine. A week later Im only good for 40 miles in the desert and can hardly walk for 3 days. NO-THING will train you up for racing other than racing. Nothing works your body like that. I even tried to replicate some racing type stuff in exercises I do at work and it doesn't help....

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoMike (Post 19967749)
I do not train. I do not go to the gym. Don't run, eat sensible, abstain from alcohol or sex ( hell, thats my cardio training), all I do is race. I realize some people actually have lives and budgets and real responsibilities, but you are never going to get the experience if you only race 3 or 4 times a year. You are going to get tired, frustrated and possibly injured.
.

true again. if I had no life, I would be a much better motorcycle racer!

:lol3

and you're advising someone to abstain from alcohol??

:huh

CramerTV 11-04-2012 10:34 PM

Thanks guys - my goal for next year was to finish all the loops going as slow as I needed to go to make sure I finished. As slow as I am the only way I'm going to beat someone on the Novice line is if they only do one lap or have a DNF. Finishing is really my only goal (other than not hurting me or the bike of course.)

So again, thanks for all the advice and I hope to do a lot more races next year. It will take a commitment from me but also from the wife since she has to stay home and take care of the 3 and 1 year old...I know I'm being a little selfish so I'll try to limit it to one race a month and see how long before she gets angry. ;)

MotoMike 11-05-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatpasta (Post 19971581)
:cry

so true. I can do a half marathon one weekend, a short triathlon the next and feel fine. A week later Im only good for 40 miles in the desert and can hardly walk for 3 days. NO-THING will train you up for racing other than racing. Nothing works your body like that. I even tried to replicate some racing type stuff in exercises I do at work and it doesn't help....



true again. if I had no life, I would be a much better motorcycle racer!

:lol3

and you're advising someone to abstain from alcohol??

:huh

No, I was saying I don't abstain, but I do actually try to keep it to a minimum the night before, unlike the old days. Not much hydration in beer :1drink

And you forgot to tell them about the puking. I was bummed I didn't have my camera handy for that.

frog 11-05-2012 08:28 AM

If you've been racing two years and still can't finish all the loops you need to change something your doing. I'm not trying to be an ass but something isnt right. Ride with someone that can give you pointers on how to be more efficient. You could be riding to train and training yourself to do things wrong. IMHO


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014