ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Australia (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Riding technique (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839241)

southern cross 11-05-2012 04:06 PM

Riding technique

On another forum I mentioned when riding on dirt, to stand on the pegs to lower the centre of gravity thereby giving more control of the bike. A respondent claimed there was TWO CoGs in play, one being the bike the other the rider. I also mentioned the weighting the pegs, to which he claimed it made no difference but perhaps maybe some expert riders might sometimes use this technique. Have I been doing it wrong for 44 years?

How do you ride, your thoughts?

tHEtREV 11-05-2012 04:09 PM

Why not ask about oil and tyres while you're at it.:norton

Oldfatbeerman 11-05-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern cross (Post 19977288)
On another forum I mentioned when riding on dirt, to stand on the pegs to lower the centre of gravity thereby giving more control of the bike. A respondent claimed there was TWO CoGs in play, one being the bike the other the rider. I also mentioned the weighting the pegs, to which he claimed it made no difference but perhaps maybe some expert riders might sometimes use this technique. Have I been doing it wrong for 44 years?

If you been doing it for 44 years and it's worked ..... why question it just cause some goob on an internet forum dosn't agree with your methods ?

Ther's always some body with a different opinion or different techniqe to yours ... accept it and get on with your own life .

gsd4me 11-05-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern cross (Post 19977288)
Have I been doing it wrong for 44 years?

If it has worked for you for 44 years then you are doing it correctly. There is no real need to do what others do, but if you think something else may work for you then try it; if it doesn`t work, discard it.

Phil_Fong 11-05-2012 04:25 PM

I love blowing rasberry's, especially in deep sand.

woopwoop 11-05-2012 04:31 PM

Stand up on the pegs whenever you see a camera

southern cross 11-05-2012 04:33 PM

Well it was tongue in cheek after all! My real interest was the TWO CoGs, that's news to me, the others are obvious the basics.

Big Willy 11-05-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman (Post 19977370)
If you been doing it for 44 years and it's worked ..... why question it just cause some goob on an internet forum dosn't agree with your methods ?

Ther's always some body with a different opinion or different techniqe to yours ... accept it and get on with your own life .

That's not true

gsd4me 11-05-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woopwoop (Post 19977495)
Stand up on the pegs whenever you see a camera

But only if you are riding a BMW R1150GSA and wearing the full BMW clown suit.

Chop Chop 11-05-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern cross (Post 19977507)
Well it was tongue in cheek after all! My real interest was the TWO CoGs, that's news to me, the others are obvious the basics.

An object will only have one CoG. You have a CoG and the bike has a CoG separately, but once you mount the bike you form one object, hence one CoG. This changes position as you and the bike move around affecting the balance point. Calculating where the CoG is complicated because both of you are asymetrical objects that can change shape and the position where you connect to each other.

Hope that BSBB:D

mudmonster 11-05-2012 05:02 PM

Your first mistake was listening to Wally's that get all technical about how to ride a motorcycle the " correct way " ,when I started racing motocross and short circuit many moons ago most people sat down most of the time now the new technique is to be standing most of the time. I recon whatever your smooth and in control with stick to it and let others do what they believe is right.

Phil_Fong 11-05-2012 05:07 PM

Would a pirate suit work with a BMW R1150GSA, David ?

Tiggs 11-05-2012 05:16 PM

If you stand up on the pegs while riding you HAVE LOWERED the centre of gravity of bike and rider as one, if you sit on the seat you HAVE RAISED the centre of gravity of bike and rider as one. This is not an opinion it's a fact! :jjen

woopwoop 11-05-2012 05:36 PM

get your cameras ready

farawayman 11-05-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiggs (Post 19977837)
If you stand up on the pegs while riding you HAVE LOWERED the centre of gravity of bike and rider as one, if you sit on the seat you HAVE RAISED the centre of gravity of bike and rider as one. This is not an opinion it's a fact! :jjen

How does standing on a chair lower the centre of gravity compared to sitting on it? :dunno
Deferent on a motorbike I guess

And since when did your opinion become fact? :pot

How often do I need to change the BMW air in my tyres and where do I get some for a reasonable price? :lol3 :lol3

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:33 PM.