ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Heated grips + seat = butt warmer? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840024)

Jnich77 11-08-2012 07:28 PM

Heated grips + seat = butt warmer?

I was curious if putting a set of heated grip - heating elements under the vinyl in my seat would do much to add warmth on chilly days? I figure if the heat can get through my grips and gloves, it should be able to go through my jeans and ass.

I know Aerostitch sells a seat heater, I would get one.. but this option is 7.99 off of Ebay...lol. :evil

kraven 11-09-2012 07:56 AM

Same tech. Same idea. Just make sure to hook it up fused and with a rheostat to adjust the heat. May not need that much heat on the booty, thanks to the bodyfat and bloodflow difference as opposed to hands.
I'd just be worried about your weight on the circuit materials.
Try it. See what happens. I've put seat heaters in a lot of car seats that never came with them. Never done it on a bike.

Vertical C 11-09-2012 08:05 AM

Good idea whats the worst that can happen?

DAKEZ 11-09-2012 08:12 AM

:huh Heated gear in Florida? :rofl

Harry Backer 11-09-2012 07:59 PM

In the army in germany the guy from Texas would want to dawn a parka at 60 Deg. I said you aint seen shit yet.

Jnich77 11-09-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 20006241)
:huh Heated gear in Florida? :rofl

Well... thirty degrees at 80mph gets a little chilly... plus this would let me ditch a layer...lol.

Jnich77 11-09-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertical C (Post 20006196)
Good idea whats the worst that can happen?

well, I could melt my ass to the seat...haha

Jnich77 11-09-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraven (Post 20006136)
Same tech. Same idea. Just make sure to hook it up fused and with a rheostat to adjust the heat. May not need that much heat on the booty, thanks to the bodyfat and bloodflow difference as opposed to hands.
I'd just be worried about your weight on the circuit materials.
Try it. See what happens. I've put seat heaters in a lot of car seats that never came with them. Never done it on a bike.

I never thought about using a rheostat... great suggestion!!! I just ordered new grip heaters... need to order another set to give this a try... definitely looking promising.

Superzoom 11-10-2012 08:04 AM

Those under grip heating elements seem pretty flimsy, and I doubt they're designed for the extreme flexing that will happen when you put your body weight on them. They're designed to maintain a static position under a grip.

Maybe consider a wire-based heating source, like a car electric blanket.

Unstable Rider 11-10-2012 08:13 AM

Great idea.

Look on ebay, etc., there are some drop in generic 12 volt flexible panels that are intended to warm SNOWMOBILE seats. Arctic Cat as an example sells a touring sled with a heated seat, it's flexible enough, no worries.

The ones I saw on ebay and such were about $50 bucks.

I would want to rig it to a handlebar switch and perhaps cycle off my grip warmers while warming my ass, and then turn off the seat heater for a bit while warming the hands to minimize the draw of power.

Just some random thoughts of a complete mad-man.

Here is another way to go:

http://cozywinters.com/shop/heated-m...FcxAMgod0n4AQg

Ps: Here is my favorite cheap ten dollar handlebar generic switch that can be used for almost anything. Small enough to have two of them side by side, one for driving lights, one turns off heated items, ass toaster, etc.

Tusk Universal On/Off HANDLEBAR mounted Switch | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...-Switch/switch

Jimmy the Heater 11-10-2012 05:49 PM

My BMW K1200LT has heated grips and a heated seat. The grips I use very frequently and probably won't have another bike without them. The seat on the other hand, sees very little use or do I see the benefit of it.

My butt never gets cold while riding, my chest, arms, legs, feet get cold but never my butt. Invest in a heated vest and pants before going to a heated seat.

Snarky 11-13-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Backer (Post 20011012)
In the army in germany the guy from Texas would want to dawn a parka at 60 Deg. I said you aint seen shit yet.

That's right. We don't live in Texas because we love 110 Deg summer days. We're here for the lack of cold winters, I hate cold. It was 36 this morning, but it'll be in the 60's this afternoon. Heated grips work well enough.

I think if it was cold AND wet I would try the heated seat mod. For now l just wear my thermals in my riding pants.

74C5 11-13-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

My BMW K1200LT has heated grips and a heated seat. The grips I use very frequently and probably won't have another bike without them. The seat on the other hand, sees very little use or do I see the benefit of it.

My butt never gets cold while riding, my chest, arms, legs, feet get cold but never my butt. Invest in a heated vest and pants before going to a heated seat.
My new RT has both as well. 39F in fog for a couple hours and was using the seat heater. Gerbings jacket as well. I'm convinced that it helps with maintaining core temperature. I wasn't wet but, if one is, the seat would help further.

bomber60015 11-13-2012 01:59 PM

I would be tempted to put something between the elemenet and the seat -- insulation of reflective (spave balnket material?) . . . . .I've no specific data, but I'd imagine the foam could soak up a great deal of energy

Jnich77 11-14-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomber60015 (Post 20035971)
I would be tempted to put something between the elemenet and the seat -- insulation of reflective (spave balnket material?) . . . . .I've no specific data, but I'd imagine the foam could soak up a great deal of energy

Ya know, I haven't thought of that.

Honestly, I might end up buying one of the seat heaters off Ebay.... 30.00 shipped isn't to bad of deal.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:12 PM.