ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   1977 R60/7 value (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840400)

jva118 11-10-2012 04:02 PM

1977 R60/7 value

Does anyone have any idea what a 77 r60/7 would be worth. Valves set and fluids all changed. Trans has all new bearings and seals. Instruments rebuilt. Fresh paint and pinstriping. Tank lined with Caswell. MAC mufflers. Actual mileage unknown. Seat has been recovered w/ a gel insert installed. New avons w/ less than 100 miles on them. Only thing it needs is under tank master replaced, resleeved, or ? New piston and gaskets didnt fix the leak. Prob a good candidate for resleeving. Runs, rides and shifts great. What are your thoughts?

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/r...C3205CCA82.jpg

VTbeemer 11-10-2012 04:16 PM

Mileage?

Bernoulli? 11-10-2012 04:19 PM

Looks pretty clean, I'll assume it looks as good in person as in the picture. I'll say $3,600. That's figuring that someone still needs to put a little work into it, but would then have a very nice looking and running airhead. Mufflers detract a bit.

disston 11-10-2012 04:44 PM

Very nice looker. Sounds good so I think it will sell but I think it'll go more for $3000, ask $3400. My problem is that it is a 600cc Airhead. I'm prejudiced. And it still needs work.

jva118 11-10-2012 05:29 PM

I am unsure of the actual mileage. The gauges had stopped at 30k and the previous owner said he had put about 2k on it or so. So the gauges were reset at 32k. The motor runs well and pulls strong. I know the trans and final drive are good as the trans was gone through and the final drive inspected for wear. No major problems. I would of course fix the master cylinder prior to selling it. Do you think putting new mufflers on it would be worth the cost? Whole new exhaust or just mufflers? Head pipes are a bit tarnished but not awful.

gsd4me 11-11-2012 01:27 AM

It has a /6 mudguard fitted, so maybe the entire front end isn`t original. Is the frame straight?

jva118 11-11-2012 06:29 AM

I have never noticed the fender was not original. Like I stated before I am not a bmw guy. Frame looks straight to me. Are you talking about the headset being bent down as indication of a front end collision?

Are the lower fork legs the same on the /6 and /7 as in having the hole for the fender stay? Possibility of just a fender swap?

disston 11-11-2012 08:21 AM

Your fender has the lower brace that goes from the fork leg to the rear bottom of the fender. The /7 does not have this bottom brace. The /6 fender is longer than the /7 fender. It provides more protection in the back and keeps a little bit more dirt or mud off the front of the engine. They are popular with some riders because of this. But there are other differences and if the brace at the top of the fork sliders is a /7 this fender doesn't fit correctly there with out removing some material.

It's not a big deal unless the bike is entered into some competition. A collector will notice it if they are looking for it.

jva118 11-11-2012 08:44 AM

Not looking for a show bike. Not even trying to pass it as all original. Just trying to get a realistic value of the bike so I know what to spend. I have owned the bike in the past for a short period and now a friend has painted it and needs to sell it. He wanted it to put a sidecar on and I wanted a bsa b50 he had. We worked a trade and now its back on the radar. It really looks nice and needs very little . Master cylinder and rear seat hinge are the only 2 things I know of. He has talked to the place in New York that resleeves mastercylinders and got a qoute of $100 to do it in brass. Seems reasonable and less expensive than new or handle bar mounted set up.

blaine.hale 11-11-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jva118 (Post 20015562)
Only thing it needs is under tank master replaced, resleeved, or ? New piston and gaskets didnt fix the leak. Prob a good candidate for resleeving. ]

Hone the cylinder before replacing the piston and gasket.
I had the same issue on mine after rebuild. A quick honing of the actual bore resolved it.

disston 11-11-2012 08:56 AM

Most of us are not looking for show bikes, I think. But even so I must admit that in some strange way it matters when I look at something also. I want to read the story when I look at a bike. I can see it's history sometimes and the mod of the fender may be saying something. So it's just something to notice. I prefer the /6 fender myself but then I ride a /6 so I guess I got it covered.

I have also fixed the leaking MC with a little honing. Since you have new seals they may still be in good enough shape to do this. So you very possibly might save this bit of money. It only has to not leak. If it still leaks the brass or stainless steel sleeve is a good fix.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:57 PM.