ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Idle too high (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840792)

Rockmuncher 11-12-2012 09:55 AM

Idle too high
 
2004 1150 twin spark.
Every time I tuned my throttle bodies previously, the BBS were about 3/4 of a turn out from bottom and fairly close to each other. The last time I went for a ride, the idle was at 1400 when I was done. It's done this before, but only up to about 1250 after a good hard highway run and always came back to normal afterward. Now it's hanging around that 1400 mark and i can't get it down. I turn the BBS almost closed to get it down a bit and now they are a full turn plus apart from each other when balanced. I pulled them right out and they were fairly black, cleaned them and sprayed throttle body cleaner in the hole and no change. I thought maybe a stick coil was goofing off, so I uncapped my secondary plugs and it made no difference at idle.
What next?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

street_moto 11-12-2012 10:30 AM

Hard to say without seeing the bike, but sounds like a possible air leak or one of the TB's hanging up on the cable.
You can check for air leak by spraying WD40 or something similar around TB's and manifold joints with the bike ticking over. A change in idle will indicate where leak is.
Let us know how you get on!

Steptoe 11-12-2012 11:50 AM

Sounds like your TPS could be out of adjustment.

Rockmuncher 11-12-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steptoe (Post 20027893)
Sounds like your TPS could be out of adjustment.

Does the TPS go out on its own? I didn't mess with it.

pcwirepro 11-12-2012 10:12 PM

Cables?
 
Do you have some slack on the cables? Is the fast idle cable not seated in the bowden box?

(I^2)R/746 11-13-2012 12:16 AM

Miles on the bike? Just went through my TB's and found the seals shot and more importantly the air screw passages all gunked up. So I did it by the numbers:
-Adjust valves
-New plugs
-Rebuild and thoroughly clean TB's
-TPS adjust
-Throttle cable adjust
-Carb balance

Still need to do the rocker arm end gap that's for the next round. Anyways I got the bike with 89k now has 92k and runs way, way better than when I got it. Think the full TB rebuild kits from Bing for both sides was $237 or so. In retrospect I wouldn't do that just get the parts I needed as the shafts and bushings were OK. Took about 4 hours start to finish.

Steptoe 11-13-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockmuncher (Post 20029960)
Does the TPS go out on its own? I didn't mess with it.

Very simple - Why not check it. Then it's another thing you/we can cross off the list as being the potential source of your problem. :wink:

Rockmuncher 11-13-2012 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcwirepro (Post 20032093)
Do you have some slack on the cables? Is the fast idle cable not seated in the bowden box?

I did put some slack in the cables and the fast idle lever pulls up a bit before it makes the idle go up, so I don't think it cables hanging up

Rockmuncher 11-13-2012 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (I^2)R/746 (Post 20032348)
Miles on the bike? Just went through my TB's and found the seals shot and more importantly the air screw passages all gunked up. So I did it by the numbers:
-Adjust valves
-New plugs
-Rebuild and thoroughly clean TB's
-TPS adjust
-Throttle cable adjust
-Carb balance

Still need to do the rocker arm end gap that's for the next round. Anyways I got the bike with 89k now has 92k and runs way, way better than when I got it. Think the full TB rebuild kits from Bing for both sides was $237 or so. In retrospect I wouldn't do that just get the parts I needed as the shafts and bushings were OK. Took about 4 hours start to finish.

37000miles, valves and end play adjusted, TBs were balanced but now they're out from me "fixing" it.

Rockmuncher 11-13-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steptoe (Post 20032537)
Very simple - Why not check it. Then it's another thing you/we can cross off the list as being the potential source of your problem. :wink:

I'll check that next. Just found the procedure in advwisdom. Thanks

Rockmuncher 11-13-2012 07:54 AM

Ok, TPS at 0.37 so I left it alone.
While looking at things, I noticed the o-rings from the intake tube to the TB were not seated properly, ring sticking out at the bottom.
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...FB64212040.jpg
Both sides were like this. When I pulled the tube back, both o-rings were biffed.
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...FB1E0F9778.jpg
I'm assuming that this is at least part of my problem and probably all of it, so I'll have to get new o-rings and put it back together. Meanwhile, I'm going to clean the TBs

pcwirepro 11-13-2012 08:03 AM

Dam O-rings
 
I hate those flimsy little buggers. I tried like hell to re-use a pair this summer but to no avail.

Rockmuncher 11-14-2012 05:27 AM

Still too high at 1400. I put new o-rings in and made sure they seated properly. Cleaned both TBs and BBSs along with the hole they came out of. Made sure the cables were backed off so the butterflies close at the stop. Checked the TPS and it read 0.37v. Today, I'm going to recheck my valve adjustment and rocker end play just incase I screwed something up there.

Rockmuncher 11-14-2012 09:05 AM

Out of ideas
 
Valves and rocker end play are good. Even changed out my stick coils for the spares I have and still the same. Could it be an oxygen sensor? Still runs great except for the high idle, maybe I should just leave it alone.

Rockmuncher 11-16-2012 06:20 AM

Anybody have any ideas?


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014