ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Real reason for fitting aftermarket exhaust (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840884)

VargasD 11-12-2012 05:06 PM

Real reason for fitting aftermarket exhaust

So I've been pondering the idea of replacing the stock exhaust can with an aftermarket slip-on option. But power increase is barely noticeable and weight diference is a mere 1% of the total weight of the bike (no luggage, ride-ready). So is it really worth handing over $375 to $700 (double the amount here in Costa Rica) for a "performance" upgrade that really isn't that much of an improvement? Never mind that a new exhaust would look absolutely awesome on my bike and the growl from the new can would give me goose pumps... I'm just asking if it's really worth the trouble, aside from aesthetic reasons.

I'd like to know what others think.:ear

Motoriley 11-12-2012 05:25 PM

Exhaust

Looks good. Sounds good. Not massive amounts of new power but bike is more fun to rev. It's a motorcycle and supposed to be fun. If you were being logical you would have bought a Toyota. Buy a used exhauts with a slight dent and pay peanuts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VargasD (Post 20029772)
So I've been pondering the idea of replacing the stock exhaust can with an aftermarket slip-on option. But power increase is barely noticeable and weight diference is a mere 1% of the total weight of the bike (no luggage, ride-ready). So is it really worth handing over $375 to $700 (double the amount here in Costa Rica) for a "performance" upgrade that really isn't that much of an improvement? Never mind that a new exhaust would look absolutely awesome on my bike and the growl from the new can would give me goose pumps... I'm just asking if it's really worth the trouble, aside from aesthetic reasons.

Emperor Norton 11-12-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

On one of my Ducatis it was, especially on cold mornings. On my BMW and other duck - no.

guzzimike 11-12-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Never mind that a new exhaust would look absolutely awesome on my bike and the growl from the new can would give me goose pumps...

You've nailed it right there :1drink

runnin4melife 11-12-2012 05:27 PM

If you do a full system you can potentially gain 5 HP (~6% gain) which doesn't sound like a lot but that has added benefit. I cut my stock system and punched out the cat for a variety of reasons and will be putting the system on a dyno this summer with a slip on (TBD) and will be interested to see what that winds up doing?

Camel ADV 11-12-2012 05:43 PM

Balanced pannier racks and 7lb weight loss is the reason I did it.

LukasM 11-12-2012 06:51 PM

A high quality aftermarket exhaust is lighter, more compact, looks better, has better performance, sounds better.

The only trade off is money, how should we be able to tell whether it's worth it to you? If you got a million bucks sitting in the bank do it, if you are not going to be able to afford another tank of gas later then don't do it, anywhere in the middle it's down to your priorities...

KLRscoob 11-12-2012 07:23 PM

It looks cool. It sounds good. And makes you feel good

itsatdm 11-12-2012 09:14 PM

As a power upgrade no. I bought a carbon Leo Vince. I wanted to get some weight off up high. The oval shape and carbon type was meant for some custom racks I wanted to fabricate for soft luggage. Tighter and further forward than the typical hippo ass sold commercially. Ended up going with a Giant Loop.

I had already mounted an Accelerator module. Coupled with the exhaust, it does seem to make the bike run smoother and breath better at higher rpm. Could be the halo effect of wanting to feel more power when you spend money, but I did not expect any HP gains, but it certainly feels like there are some.

After all the suspension mods whats another $300?

BcDano 11-13-2012 07:26 AM

Weight savings (OEM is a tank) and as a moto guy you got to love the cool factor.

sieg 11-13-2012 07:35 AM

Waste of money IMHO. But so are a lot of things.<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> :evil</v:shapetype> If it makes you feel good do it, don't try to rationalize it. :D<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Emperor Norton 11-13-2012 08:16 AM

Ah, Novato. There is a thread in the West Regional forum about NPD being more than happy to lighten your wallet if they catch you with a loud pipe. I'm not sure if they're still checking on that or have found other crimes to investigate.

Angryrican 11-13-2012 10:05 AM

The only legitimate reason..

Is if you know you will be traveling in areas with poor quality gas in which case you would remove the cat to make sure it doesn't get damaged and leave you stranded. Otherwise it is just eye and ear candy, IMO save the money and put it towards suspension upgrades where you will really see a difference:D

LukasM 11-13-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angryrican (Post 20034292)
Is if you know you will be traveling in areas with poor quality gas in which case you would remove the cat to make sure it doesn't get damaged and leave you stranded. Otherwise it is just eye and ear candy, IMO save the money and put it towards suspension upgrades where you will really see a difference:D

1. The cat is in the header and not the muffler.
2. Poor quality gas does nothing to a cat, leaded gas does which you won't find in the Americas or most other places in the world these days.
3. If the cat gets damaged it won't leave you stranded, the only thing that happens is that your emissions get worse, but not any worse than without it.

Learn something new every day! :D

pkbinder 11-13-2012 03:20 PM

I found a used Akropovic and mated it to the Remus exhaust. Then I added the PC-V and I was startled by the power increase. I have since gotten used to it to the point where I wonder if it was all in my head.
AND my crash bars and bash plate had to be modified around the Remus pipes. I do love the sound though.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:34 AM.