ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road warriors (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Important Harley twin cam info (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841393)

YOUNZ 11-14-2012 04:00 PM

Important Harley twin cam info
 
I was over at the J&P Cycles web site, checking on a sprocket and saw an important article regarding the twin cam bikes.
Primarily, about the cam chain tensioners failing way to soon and trashing the engine.
Mostly, not covered under warranty, according to the owners comments!:huh

TRRcheck 11-14-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOUNZ (Post 20045163)
I was over at the J&P Cycles web site, checking on a sprocket and saw an important article regarding the twin cam bikes.
Primarily, about the cam chain tensioners failing way to soon and trashing the engine.
Mostly, not covered under warranty, according to the owners comments!:huh

You're at least 5 years late on the news bud :D

YOUNZ 11-14-2012 04:35 PM

I don't own a Harley, it was posted on the site today. Apparently it's still a problem, dude.

EricD10563 11-14-2012 04:50 PM

I'm not 100% sure but I think it mainly a problem for Twin-Cam motors prior to 08,

DAKEZ 11-14-2012 05:06 PM

THAT IS SO 2006. :1drink Late to the party again.

mitchxout 11-14-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricD10563 (Post 20045542)
I'm not 100% sure but I think it mainly a problem for Twin-Cam motors prior to 08,

I'm sorry to say the cam chain problem has been going on since the early 90's.

The Dirty One 11-14-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchxout (Post 20045691)
I'm sorry to say the cam chain problem has been going on since the early 90's.

They didn't have chains in the early nineties.....'99 was the first year for the modern twin cam.

mitchxout 11-14-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dirty One (Post 20045789)
They didn't have chains in the early nineties.....'99 was the first year for the modern twin cam.

Evo's had chains. :deal

plugeye 11-14-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchxout (Post 20045857)
Evo's had chains. :deal

haha, cam chains? not

panhead_dan 11-14-2012 05:49 PM

Just so you can be all caught up, there is also a whole lot of inner cam bearings that go bad. This usually destroys the engine. (not re-buildable). Loose rollers inside the case is a bad thing, for sure.

A gear drive cam set up eliminates the chain tensioner thing but it must be difficult to fit up correctly because a lot of those have a loud whine which may be from the fit of the gears, I'm not sure. There is a much better bearing available for the inner end of the cams too.

A good practice is to pop off the timing cover and have a real close look at around 25000 miles.

scapegoat 11-14-2012 07:25 PM

Crank run out is the problem with gear drive. Word is 09 up hyd tensioners are the way to go.

DAKEZ 11-14-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scapegoat (Post 20046720)
Crank run out is the problem with gear drive. Word is 09 up hyd tensioners are the way to go.

06 on the Dyna's 07 on all the twin cams.

If you warmed the bike up, never got on it hard until completely warmed up and did not lug the engine (the engineers want you to cruise at 2900 to 3100 rpm's) then the old tensioners would last 80k plus miles.

The ones that ran into problems were the throttle blippers and those that thought they should be cruising down the highway at 2200 RPM's. They were having issues at around 25k miles. :deal

frog13 11-14-2012 07:40 PM

So,I guess I'll keep my Honda.:clap:lol3:D

NuckaMan 11-14-2012 08:26 PM

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...shit_again.jpg

Tosh Togo 11-14-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 20045667)
THAT IS SO 2006. :1drink Late to the party again.

:thumb :thumb

When a manufacturer's biggest efforts go into "nostalgia", there's no surprise in that. :D


http://raresportbikesforsale.com/wp-...0/VR1000_1.jpg

What could have been, and never got a fair chance. :cry


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014