ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Hagon Shock Bottom out (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841563)

8jest 11-15-2012 01:04 PM

Hagon Shock Bottom out

Hey,

I have 1981 R80G/S with a Hagon Monoshock. Seems to bottom out pretty easily on potholes and what not. It is a new shock. I was looking for adjustment recommendations. I am 200lb rider. The shock preload is set pretty soft at the moment. I ride solo most of the time with light loads.

Thanks

mykill 11-15-2012 08:46 PM

It is possible the spring is simply too soft for your weight.
Did you buy the shock new? Did they ask your weight?
If not PO might have been a little guy.

Airhead Wrangler 11-15-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykill (Post 20054819)
It is possible the spring is simply too soft for your weight.
Did you buy the shock new? Did they ask your weight?
If not PO might have been a little guy.

That or crank up the preload and make do with watcha got and steer around the potholes.

Mark Manley 11-15-2012 10:53 PM

I have a Hagon on my '91 GS and think the standard spring is a little soft and I only weigh 140 pounds, I will see Hagon at the motorcycle show next week and plan to order a stiffer spring.

pommie john 11-16-2012 12:03 AM

Before you buy new springs or shock try to get this one set up properly.

Set first set the sag. That's the amount of suspension movement that is taken up with you sitting on the bike.

A reasonable starting point is to have the bike move through 1/4 to 1/3 of total suspension travel with the rider sitting ( feet up so you may need help balancing the bike). This is adjusted with the pre load.

If you can't get this sag correct with the pre-load adjuster you may need a stronger spring.

If it still bottoms out with the sag correct try dialling in some compression damping ( if the shock has it adjustable). If not try increasing the rebound damping because some Hagon shocks have the compression and rebound damping increase together.

Let us know how you get on.

8jest 11-16-2012 01:08 AM

Thanks, that is all really good info. It is a new shock but the previous owner had spec'd it out. I have the receipt and it was purchased this year from Capital Cycle. When I first noticed it, I did increase the preload. It was a stiffer ride but I do think it helped a bit. I noticed it again, so I backed it off again. Perhaps the previous owner was a lighter guy and I might need a stiffer spring down the road. I am first going to adjust the damping because, as mentioned, it the damping controls the compression as well, that could help a lot. If not, I will play with the preload again getting the appropriate sag and then adjust the damping again. If no dice, avoid potholes until I can "spring" the cash. Eh oh!! I feel like it is promising though as I checked capital cycle and they only two gain shocks listed for the r80g/s. and looking at the details those two listings have the same item number HA-6002. It seems like if there were different springs based on your weight, then that should be an option on the checkout. I emailed hagon sales as well and hoping to get some feedback there. Ill keep you posted.

8jest 11-16-2012 10:43 AM

So, I got an email from Hagon sales and he said that their shocks were capable of carrying rider/pillion combinations of up to 28 stone. That is 392 lbs! He asked me to send the part number and he will send the stock settings and further instructions on damping control, so I will forward that info back here. Also, I am going to start using stone instead of pounds.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:06 AM.