ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beasts (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   650 V-Strom cruising speed (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842841)

MNrider 11-21-2012 07:45 AM

650 V-Strom cruising speed
 
Hello - I'm considering going to something lighter than a 95 R100RT BMW. I see that a lot of the Iron Butt Association riders ride a 650 V-Strom. My question is - is that bike happy cruising at 75-80 MPH all day?

Thanks -

PachmanP 11-21-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNrider (Post 20090422)
Hello - I'm considering going to something lighter than a 95 R100RT BMW. I see that a lot of the Iron Butt Association riders ride a 650 V-Strom. My question is - is that bike happy cruising at 75-80 MPH all day?

Thanks -

Yes.

I think the sweet spot with my big ass bags is 80 indicated which might put it closer to 72 actual, but it'll be happy at 90 indicated too.

BikeMan 11-21-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNrider (Post 20090422)
is that bike happy cruising at 75-80 MPH all day? -

a 650 is a 650 that is a 650. go figure.

Nightstrom 11-21-2012 08:38 AM

Will it do it as smooth and quiet as a big bike? No. Will it do it without any problems or hiccups? Yes. Peg extenders, bar risers, a good seat, and a good windscreen (preferably with a madstad), and this thing is a very comfy tourer. Aside from the seat, everything else is cheap to purchase, and they are insane reliable.

Canuman 11-21-2012 08:50 AM

The Wee has one of the best engines and silkiest transmissions I've ever ridden on. Correctly set up, (do the seat and windscreen, twiddle the suspension, and you may want bar risers) 80 mph for days or weeks is no problem. Six gears make all the difference.

Yes, a 650 is a 650 is a 650. What a wonderful thing that is! It's an excellent motor in a very capable bike. Given the comfort and frugal fuel use, you'll be in the saddle when others are at the pumps or rubbing the circulation back into their butts. (Or ending their trip 'cause they have to get back to make a payment on a bike costing twice as much.)

Pecha72 11-21-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuman (Post 20090824)
The Wee has one of the best engines and silkiest transmissions I've ever ridden on. Correctly set up, (do the seat and windscreen, twiddle the suspension, and you may want bar risers) 80 mph for days or weeks is no problem. Six gears make all the difference.

Yes, a 650 is a 650 is a 650. What a wonderful thing that is! It's an excellent motor in a very capable bike. Given the comfort and frugal fuel use, you'll be in the saddle when others are at the pumps or rubbing the circulation back into their butts. (Or ending their trip 'cause they have to get back to make a payment on a bike costing twice as much.)

Good point about costing twice as much... and funny I just thought about exactly the same thing, when I read the big German Motorrad-magazine. there was a big īKing of the Alpsī comparo, with +20 bikes in different categories... and strange as it might seem, they had the 650 Wee pitted against Honda Crosstourer, Tiger Explorer and Guzzi Stelvio. Fair enough the Tiger won that group, but the journos clearly liked the Wee, even when comparing it straight up against three 1200cc bikes – that all cost nearly or just about double the money! (And actually the older Wee-Strom version has won that very same test twice in the past.)

Nookie 11-21-2012 09:10 AM

From ding to dong, day in and day out. It'll leave extra gas money in your pocket and major repairs are damn near non-existent. Plus, they are cheap to acquire. Wish I could of found a women like that.:lol3

Evenflo76 11-21-2012 09:52 AM

Yes, even more so with a 16t front sprocket.

I would cruise 90-95 solo with luggage when the traffic permitted.

dman 11-21-2012 10:16 AM

Like PachmanP I find myself running at 80 MPH indicated, exactly 6000 rpm. I think that's about 74 by my GPS. Both motor and wind seem right at that speed. I have the stock windshield plus a Laminar Lip. Faster is no problem, but I do notice a difference.

-dman

mtwillyman 11-21-2012 12:30 PM

Keep an Eye on the Oil Level
 
My 2009 wee will use a bit of oil when I hammer it (80 mph plus) in hot weather. If I keep it below 6000 rpm it uses no oil. Other wee owners report the same. If you ride hard, check the oil level every gas stop. I run Mobil 1 15w-50 in the pig BTW. YMMV.

tedder 11-21-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikeMan (Post 20090683)
a 650 is a 650 that is a 650. go figure.

really? there's no power difference between a thumper650 and a harley650 and a 2cyl or 4cyl 650?
:huh

On the DL650, anything above an indicated 90mph becomes kinda difficult. There isn't a lot of power left. MPG goes down significantly as speed increases (over 55mph) too. The 'strom is an aerodynamic wreck.

Cases make it a lot worse. A passenger is slightly worse.

Gustavo 11-21-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedder (Post 20093708)
really? there's no power difference between a thumper650 and a harley650 and a 2cyl or 4cyl 650?
:huh

No difference, they are still all girls bikes. Everybody knows that real men ride a 990 at the very least, if not a 1200... :evil


:hide


Gustavo

Canuman 11-21-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustavo (Post 20094012)
No difference, they are still all girls bikes. Everybody knows that real men ride a 990 at the very least, if not a 1200... :evil


:hide


Gustavo

Have fun with that, particularly when you need to find specialized engine oil out in the bush. Thankfully, I sense you're not being serious. The proper phrasing is "little girl's bikes."

Did I mention that the DL650 will run quite happily on the cheapest slop you can squeeze out of the pumps? Mine ran quite smoothly on 87, the lowest grade here. I never tested it at high altitude, but plenty have.

I know, real men have racing fuel dropped in by helicopter while adventure riding. No self-respecting rider would be seen on anything that ran common fuel.

NONAME13 11-21-2012 08:33 PM

Tom Cruise
 
Vstroms are way faster than BMWs they will pass a Beemer on a tow truck no problem and can cruise all day without spending heaps of cash or diagnosing problems .The best part is you will be able to ride with your friends and not make anybody wait for you. I think the best way to describe the power is it's more like a wimpy version of a VFR even though it's no V4 it's still Top Gun.:1drink

tedder 11-21-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuman (Post 20095392)
Have fun with that, particularly when you need to find specialized engine oil out in the bush. Thankfully, I sense you're not being serious. The proper phrasing is "little girl's bikes."

He's serious. It's a girl bike.

It doesn't need high-octane because it makes cute little amounts of horsey power.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014