ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   F700GS - Clutch dragging (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843046)

Charlie_boringman 11-22-2012 03:38 AM

F700GS - Clutch dragging

Hi,

I picked up my GS on the weekend, and what an awesome bike it is!
However, I've noticed that the clutch drags substantially when the lever is pulled in, making it a lot harder to push around compared to the bike being in neutral.

I've had a look at the clutch cable adjustment and it seems fine, but I'm no expert. I've never had to do any more than adjusting slack in the cable before.
I don't think it's the temperature, it doesn't really get that cold here.

CheckerdD 11-22-2012 10:38 AM

That 36 k warranty is nice to have. I would check to see if it's really a clutch problem by putting the bike up on the center stand and spinning the wheel in Neutral and trying to turn it in gear with the clutch in. That would eliminate your impression being based on a new and heavy bike. Remember their is oil in the clutch. If it's really dragging, what your describing is not normal. Dave

itsatdm 11-22-2012 10:49 AM

Is the engine cold or warm when you are pushing it around. The clutch plates have some stiction when cold and not unusual.

Tosh Togo 11-22-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsatdm (Post 20098690)
Is the engine cold or warm when you are pushing it around. The clutch plates have some stiction when cold and not unusual.

What he said. Even when fully warmed up, there'll be noticeable drag.

Stop being so lazy, and just put it in neutral before you push.

Reaver 11-22-2012 04:20 PM

What they said and that most Dealers don't set up the clutch play correct. If you have the clutch lever set to a low postion (girl hands) and the free play is too much, combined the clutch won't fully disengage. Screw the adjuster knob for maximum span of the lever and try that for troubleshooting purposes.

JGoody 11-23-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaver (Post 20100096)
What they said and that most Dealers don't set up the clutch play correct. If you have the clutch lever set to a low postion (girl hands) and the free play is low, combined the clutch won't fully disengage. Screw the adjuster knob for maximum span of the lever and try that for troubleshooting purposes.

It seems to me if the lever is set close to the bars and the freeplay is low then there might be issues with fully engagement -- if there is too much freeplay and not much travel then full disengagement would be the issue. Or am I mixed up?

Reaver 11-23-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGoody (Post 20103726)
It seems to me if the lever is set close to the bars and the freeplay is low then there might be issues with fully engagement -- if there is too much freeplay and not much travel then full disengagement would be the issue. Or am I mixed up?

I hate people that makes me thinks too much. :cry

The lever adjustment won't have any effect on clutch engagement, only on disengement. Too much free play affects disengagement only. A low lever adjustment with too much freeplay will make it hard to push in gear with the engine off, it'll want to pull while running. Not enough free play destroys clutches cause they can't fully engage causing slippage which leads to even less free play and more slippage. Repeat till the bike has 7 neutral gears.

So we were both right.....and wrong.

JGoody 11-23-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaver (Post 20104232)
I hate people that makes me thinks too much. :cry

The lever adjustment won't have any effect on clutch engagement, only on disengement. Too much free play affects disengagement only. A low lever adjustment with too much freeplay will make it hard to push in gear with the engine off, it'll want to pull while running. Not enough free play destroys clutches cause they can't fully engage causing slippage which leads to even less free play and more slippage. Repeat till the bike has 7 neutral gears.

So we were both right.....and wrong.

Awesome!

FredRydr 11-24-2012 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie_boringman (Post 20096773)
...the clutch drags substantially when the lever is pulled in, making it a lot harder to push around compared to the bike being in neutral.

You've come from a dry clutch, I bet.

Fred

Charlie_boringman 11-29-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredRydr (Post 20107430)
You've come from a dry clutch, I bet.

Fred

Yeah, because there are plenty of Ninja 250's and Daytona 675's out there with dry clutches...

itsatdm 11-29-2012 11:38 PM

If you are adjusting the clutch by using the knurled knob at the hand clutch lever, all you are doing is adjusting the span of the lever to the handlebar.

The clutch adjustment is made at the cable where it attaches to the throw out lever above the side engine cover.

The proper clearance is determined by pulling the cable cover out from the hand lever. There should be at least a 3mm gap between the larger part of the cable sheathing and where it enters the lever housing. 5mm is better. Squeeze the lever and it will pull the sheathing/cable cover back against the lever housing.

If that is correct, then I guess they all do that, but my bike actually is pretty easy to move around in the morning.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:09 PM.