ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Solid Brass vs Tin Plated Terminals (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843226)

indr 11-22-2012 10:20 PM

Solid Brass vs Tin Plated Terminals

Is there any benefit to the tin plated ones besides being easier to solder?

tbarstow 11-22-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indr (Post 20101510)
Is there any benefit to the tin plated ones besides being easier to solder?

Lower electrical resistance than brass.

indr 11-23-2012 12:21 AM

Enough of a difference to matter on a bike's electrical system provided proper wire gauges are used?

squish 11-23-2012 12:32 AM

The way i understand it is that tin plated, or plated for that matter assuming it's plated with decent stuff
Stands up to environments that corrode much better then straight up brass, which starts to get dull fast.

This is why the bulk of connections on late model bikes are plated.

CycleDoc59 11-23-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squish (Post 20101801)
The way i understand it is that tin plated, or plated for that matter assuming it's plated with decent stuff
Stands up to environments that corrode much better then straight up brass, which starts to get dull fast.

This is why the bulk of connections on late model bikes are plated.

Yes; also the solid brass is weak and can loosen or break off easily. Poor
choice for the motorcycle environment.

ragtoplvr 11-23-2012 06:55 AM

Tin plated copper is much lower resistance than brass, which can be as bad as steel. For plug in connections tin is also preferred as it makes a better connection and does not pressure weld much. If you coat plug in connections with dielectric silicone, this will exclude oxygen and make a better connection. Rod

Pike Bishop 11-24-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbarstow (Post 20101623)
Lower electrical resistance than brass.

Actually brass is less resistive than tin. (Brass is mostly copper, and the only thing more conductive than copper is silver.)

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/re...ity-d_418.html

Benesesso 11-24-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pike Bishop (Post 20107442)
Actually brass is less resistive than tin. (Brass is mostly copper, and the only thing more conductive than copper is silver.)

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/re...ity-d_418.html

After a bit of corrosion, it's the conductivity/resistivity of the resulting oxide/sulfide/carbonate films that count.

That's why we gotta keep those battery terminals clean. :1drink

greywolf 11-24-2012 06:51 AM

Brass oxidizes to a very poor conductor. Ask any model railroader old enough to have used brass rail.

Pike Bishop 11-24-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greywolf (Post 20107786)
Brass oxidizes to a very poor conductor. Ask any model railroader old enough to have used brass rail.

Well, I'll be darned...you're right. I remember that!

Bad Daddy 11-25-2012 08:20 AM

I believe that Copper has 2.5 times the conductivity of brass.
Copper, being an element is also more noble than brass, which
contains zinc, a metal that will erode(corrode?) in the presence of salt.
Tinned terminals are even more corrosion resistant. Couple that with tinned
Copper wire, and you have a very reliable connection, after you crimp, then cover
with dual wall heat shrink.
FTZ connectors, Blue Sea Systems, and Ancor Wire are good sources of information.
Especially Blue Sea Systems.

BD

Pike Bishop 11-25-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greywolf (Post 20107786)

As a kid, I had a model train set with brass rails, and I remember that ... but nowadays I have a TIG/stick welding machine that has solid brass DINSE connectors, which sometimes need to carry 310A @ some low voltage (maybe 20-30V depending on arc length?).

Considering the high currents and fairly low voltages, I wonder why they don't use something other than brass...

Benesesso 11-25-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pike Bishop (Post 20113520)
As a kid, I had a model train set with brass rails, and I remember that ... but nowadays I have a TIG/stick welding machine that has solid brass DINSE connectors, which sometimes need to carry 310A @ some low voltage (maybe 20-30V depending on arc length?).

Considering the high currents and fairly low voltages, I wonder why they don't use something other than brass...

You're lucky it's not an older Hobart Mig welder. The high-current buss bars are freakin' aluminum. When copper/brass has some corrosion, the oxides/whatever will still have reasonably low resistance. Not so with alum. Al2O3 is a great insulator (think spark plugs), and as a connection resistance goes up so does the temperature.

It might even be capable of burning a house/trailer down to the ground. :huh

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:40 AM.