ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Americas (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   across the usa in 3 days...or less (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843426)

F800ekelley 11-23-2012 09:53 PM

across the usa in 3 days...or less

I am looking to ride from phoenix az to philadelphia pa in july was wondering if I could get some advice from the iron butt guys and the riders who have done it before trip in in july 2013. I have family to stay with along the way but would like to put in 15 to 20 hour days . I will be riding a f800gs. Was wondering what safest route is? Fun roads? Best route? Good places for food? Most of all routes with fewest trucks ? Any fffeedback would be great any most stops or must have gear?

Pecha72 11-24-2012 01:16 AM

Across the US in 3 days... and still looking for some fun routes, or sights along the way?? Those are not gonna fit into the same trip, if you intend to get any sleep during the night.

F800ekelley 11-24-2012 05:32 AM

It is a stretch but I figure to keep the boredom down if anyone knew a fun route ie the dragon, or blue ridge parkway. That would help

Pantah 11-24-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F800ekelley (Post 20107530)
It is a stretch but I figure to keep the boredom down if anyone knew a fun route ie the dragon, or blue ridge parkway. That would help

2400 miles and some 40 hours worth. 20 hours per day get's you there in 2. Maybe take the 3rd day to explore MD and WV. There is lots of great riding and you could even visit Gettysburg.

Blue Ridge is a very slow road and boring as heck. Like a 35mph speed limit. You can't get to the Dragon from Phoenix.:lol3

acejones 11-24-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F800ekelley (Post 20106728)
I am looking to ride from phoenix az to philadelphia pa in july was wondering if I could get some advice from the iron butt guys and the riders who have done it before trip in in july 2013. I have family to stay with along the way but would like to put in 15 to 20 hour days . I will be riding a f800gs. Was wondering what safest route is? Fun roads? Best route? Good places for food? Most of all routes with fewest trucks ? Any fffeedback would be great any most stops or must have gear?

Have you ever put in 15-20 hour days ? Have you ever done it in July ?

F800ekelley 11-24-2012 12:01 PM

I have done 2. 20 hour days it was rough as they were back to back. Main thing I learned is seat is important however I have never done that far on my new bike I have only done 10 hours on this bike. I will be doing a ride report on this as well. Just wondering the best roads to take from anyone who has done cross country. I have driven it and know the mid west is very boring at parts

Tosh Togo 11-24-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acejones (Post 20109037)
Have you ever put in 15-20 hour days ? Have you ever done it in July ?

:thumb :thumb

We should start a pool to see how far the OP gets before butt-burn keeps him out of the saddle. :rofl

My guess is that it'll be sometime during the first tank of gas on Day 2, if he lasts that long. :1drink

Getting back to the original question... that's a looooong pull between Phoenix and Philly, even if you're in a comfortable cage and keep to the freeways. It'll be stupid-hot much of the time, when it isn't, expect muggy and/or exciting weather. :puke1

You'll need to perform some basic maintenance along the way: lube the chain at least daily, check the oil and tire pressures each morning before you start, and adjust if needed. Be prepared to change a flat at the roadside using only the tools/parts that you have on hand.

catweasel67 11-24-2012 02:37 PM

check out the IBA website, loads of information there on how to do long rides.

IMO, that distance in that time means you are gonna be on the interstate the whole time. When I rode across (Toronto to San Fran), avoiding interstates, seeing the sites, I did it in 9 days (with 1 off).

HeyWhatever 11-24-2012 02:50 PM

AVOID Nebraska... and Illinois... :D

F800ekelley 11-24-2012 03:26 PM

TOSH if I bet on anyone it would be myself. Heat is a factor I have taken into consideration I grew up on the east coast and am use to humidy but I have only riden in dry heat of az. Howver not sure if I want to go north of phoenix and over, or go south thru texas. To NC and then go north only thing I really want to aviod is the pa turnpike

Catweasel67 good point thank you I will check out their website I read the advrider hall of wisdom for IBA but I think they might have some more wisdom there

HEYWHATEVER. Good point my uncle lived there was the worst part about driving cross country it was flat and boring only good thing was speed limit in a lot of neb. Is 80 but that state is SOOOO boring

Lone Rider 11-24-2012 05:22 PM

I've been told there is a video of a guy shooting staples into his head.
Somebody, some where, probably offered him respect....

Flashmo 11-24-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Rider (Post 20110547)
I've been told there is a video of a guy shooting staples into his head.
Somebody, some where, probably offered him respect....

that's sig line material right there...

No False Enthusiasm 11-25-2012 08:53 AM

Here's the most direct route, with stops in Clinton, OK (!?!) and Terre Haute, IN. http://goo.gl/maps/Rt4XJ

This would be about 14 hours the first day, 13 the second and 12 the third.

It's a young man's game...

NFE

No False Enthusiasm 11-25-2012 08:58 AM

The alternative through Texas would be even more difficult... http://goo.gl/maps/GdWYi

An even younger man's game.

NFE

HeyWhatever 11-25-2012 10:43 AM

Texas... yes. I do beleive Texas has the highest speed limits in the US.

Watch out for what I call "the Texas lane split" though...

Huge battered pickup, going 50 or so, pulls half way off the two lane highway and half way on... and he motions you to pass INSIDE his lane on the left of him, while you are not really given a choice, as he is spitting gravel at you like a sonofab*tch...

I don't even KNOW if that is LEGAL in most states... where I live it most definitely IS NOT.

Let me know if you make it to NC! :clap

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:41 PM.