ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Iridium plugs in your Airhead? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843844)

headtube 11-25-2012 04:57 PM

Iridium plugs in your Airhead?

Anyone using Iridium plugs? I have had great success with Brit bikes using these plugs. Anyone know the Iridium equivalent to the recommended Bosch plug for the 79 R100RS? Thanks.

craydds 11-25-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headtube (Post 20116159)
Anyone using Iridium plugs? I have had great success with Brit bikes using these plugs. Anyone know the Iridium equivalent to the recommended Bosch plug for the 79 R100RS? Thanks.

I use standard NGK BP6ES plugs. Here is an NGK cross reference for iridiums - http://www.clubplug.net/ngk_ngk_iridium.html . Here is a source - http://www.jegs.com/i/NGK-Spark-Plug...R6EIX/10002/-1 .

RecycledRS 11-25-2012 07:54 PM

I have been considering trying the iridium plugs also but they seem to be the resistor type only so it would mean changing the spark plug caps to the no resistance type.

GypsyWriter 11-25-2012 10:50 PM

I always used resistor plugs in my regular (resistor) caps on my GL500 and never had problems. Is there any reason why they wouldn't work in an R100? I'm considering this for my '88 GS.

mfp4073 11-26-2012 08:24 AM

Can someone post a pic of the difference between resistor wires/non resistor wires and is there a way to ID resistor plugs/non resistor plugs visually?

batoutoflahonda 11-26-2012 08:43 AM

For me any way, not sure if it's worth the money. Between the carbon build up and oil that invariably gets drawn in through the breather in the air box and finds it way to the left plug.....I just run what's cheap and in spec. Clean them and regap with tune up.

DoktorT 11-26-2012 10:04 AM

How many manufacturers in the world use WIZBANG spark plugs as factory install?? NONE, ZERO, NADA

Not one of these teams of qualified engineers has found them viable for thousands of motor designs. Any improvements noted are so small as to make them far too expensive in a rational sence. A 2% benefit cannot overcome a doubling or more of the cost.

If you are not running good enough with stock plugs, the plugs are not the problem and different plugs will not fix you.

motu 11-27-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoktorT (Post 20120291)
How many manufacturers in the world use WIZBANG spark plugs as factory install?? NONE, ZERO, NADA

Heaps...that means lots and lots. If you haven't pulled many sparkplugs in your life, then get a sparkplug catalogue from any manufacturer, in the front section there will be photographs - 2,3, and 4 electrodes, extended tips, shielded electrodes, V grooves, taper seats etc. Wizbang everywhere.

Iridium ? I don't see the point, but try it and see. I'm using Bosch W78 Plus 4's. Doubled my HP and halved the fuel consumption.

wmax351 11-27-2012 02:00 AM

For airheads, there isn't a big advantage (or any) for using exotic multi electrode plugs. The combustion chamber is designed for normal plugs. However, the iridium has to do with the electrode. It allows it to be smaller and last longer. In that regard, it shouldn't matter. The plugs will last longer, and spark well longer, but will cost more. So its a matter of choice.

rambozo 11-27-2012 04:53 AM

my two running airheads have standard Bosch plugs but I tend to use
fancy plugs on some of my cars and bikes, silver plated in my cb750
(very short life) and platinum in my gt turbo, can't remember what I have
in the others

Anything that helps a bit is good in my book but I doubt I'll bother on the
airheads

chasbmw 11-27-2012 08:28 AM

Wizbang spark plugs are to give extended service life in todays vehicles, think replacement @ 25-35kmiles rather than the normal 5k miles on our bikes.

wmax351 11-27-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasbmw (Post 20126718)
Wizbang spark plugs are to give extended service life in todays vehicles, think replacement @ 25-35kmiles rather than the normal 5k miles on our bikes.

Think 100k miles. It's really remarkable.

digger440 11-28-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasbmw (Post 20126718)

Exactly, whizzbang plugs are meant for a engine with high efficiency I.E. a very tightly controlled combustion process. These old aircooled tractor motors (while very reliable) have too much variation in combustion chamber temps with minimal fuel control. Modern fuel injection has maps to match the fuel delivery rate precisely to internal temp, atmospheric temp, engine speed and load (and other stuff).

An old motor with carburetors will not keep the Wizzbang plugs clean enough to take advantage of the extended service intervals and the wizzbangs do very very very little, if nothing at all to promote combustion efficiency. You would not put iridium plugs in a 1972 Ford with a 300 6cyl and expect them to last 80k-90-100k miles even if the motor was fresh.

On these antique motors save yourself some money, buy a quality "normal" plug and inspect them at the correct intervals.

DoktorT 11-28-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmax351 (Post 20127111)
Think 100k miles. It's really remarkable.

Anyone who has any experience with aluminum spark plug threads knows that means teardown and thread restoration too many times. But hey, you need a complete valve job by then anyway.

craydds 11-28-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger440 (Post 20135119)
On these antique motors save yourself some money, buy a quality "normal" plug and inspect them at the correct intervals.

+ 1 . Iridium plugs provide no advantage over standard plugs.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:04 PM.