ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   New sticky proposed (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844081)

Wirespokes 11-26-2012 03:13 PM

New sticky proposed

I'd like to start a FAQ sticky that gives answers to the common issues like:

Carb leaks

Charging problems

Transmission issues

Exhaust nuts

Head stud torque and valve settings

Oil filters

And any other common problems I may have left out. I'm thinking we could link to threads that have already hashed out these issues and save us the trouble of rehashing again and again.

What say you, admins? Could we get a sticky for this purpose???:wink:

disston 11-26-2012 03:21 PM

Put everything in a Sticky. Seal the files. Don't take any new members, they ask too many questions. Lock the doors, nobody leaves. :freaky

Airhead Wrangler 11-26-2012 03:23 PM

Yes, and while you're at it maybe merge the "dark secrets" and "tips and tricks" stickies as they have a lot of overlap and really aren't different enough to justify having both.

photorider 11-26-2012 03:28 PM

I think this is a great idea. I might add carb balancing to that list.

Wirespokes 11-26-2012 04:41 PM

Yeah - carb balancing!

and: Hard starting?

I think the only way to make something like this work is constant editing to the original post with an easily followed index. That way when someone wants to know about muffler bearings - direct them to the sticky and handle any confusions that might arise after reading through all of that.

spo123 11-26-2012 04:59 PM

Electrical issues......

chollo9 11-26-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disston (Post 20121914)
Put everything in a Sticky. Seal the files. Don't take any new members, they ask too many questions. Lock the doors, nobody leaves. :freaky

Make all new posters, that is applicants for a posting permit, read detailed descriptions penned by disston entailing how to balance carbs using the shorting method, ensuring that enricheners are not transposed, and the importance of language.

From this they should understand how (or if) to proceed. :freaky

Wirespokes 11-26-2012 05:04 PM

Yeah, electrical issues - links to wiring diagrams, testing procedures, how to use a multimeter, common resisitance values. That sort of thing.

disston 11-26-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chollo9 (Post 20122555)
Make all new posters, that is applicants for a posting permit, read detailed descriptions penned by disston entailing how to balance carbs using the shorting method, ensuring that enricheners are not transposed, and the importance of language.

From this they should understand how (or if) to proceed. :freaky

:lol3

Bill Harris 11-26-2012 07:21 PM

Sounds like a good idea, but the problem with a Sticky is that unless you manage it very closely it'll soon grow and become unsearchable/unmanageable.

But, go for it.

--Bill

headtube 11-26-2012 07:45 PM

Ignition timing? As a nooby I'd like to see step by step procedures that are clear and concise. Even a video or two would be great.

Boxer Metal 11-26-2012 09:47 PM

I'm all for it. it would sure limit the repeat questions.

bgoodsoil 11-26-2012 10:08 PM

Infra's GS and G/S threads have loads of information including a carb rebuild walkthrough with loads of pictures. Also, he weighed almost every part of the G/S independently. I don't think you can get a better measurement than that. He goes through a load of maintenance in great detail.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...fracaninophile

I can't find a link to his r100GS thread. Anybody got that?

Tosh Togo 11-26-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wirespokes (Post 20121874)
I'd like to start a FAQ sticky that gives answers to the common issues like...

There's not enough bandwidth left on the internet to accomplish that. :D

batoutoflahonda 11-27-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Harris (Post 20123461)
Sounds like a good idea, but the problem with a Sticky is that unless you manage it very closely it'll soon grow and become unsearchable/unmanageable.

But, go for it.

--Bill

+1. Can it be a closed thread? Where it doesn't get convoluted? I just think a lot of people don't know how to search. Might just be easier to have a sticky where one could just type what it is they are looking for. Link it to google or some thing. Make it like:

________Site:advrider.com.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:58 AM.