ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Alternative to BMW dealer cutting new key? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844384)

psypiral 11-27-2012 05:38 PM

Alternative to BMW dealer cutting new key?

Someone told me about buying a blank key then bringing it to dealer to have it cut to save some cash. Anybody done this? Where did you get blank key with chip?

Thanks in advance.

MJS 11-27-2012 05:58 PM

The dealer doesn't "cut" the key. They order it from BMW with the chip already programed to your VIN. My dealer wants / needs to see the registration or the bike prior to placing the order.

Some Dude 11-27-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS (Post 20130623)
The dealer doesn't "cut" the key. They order it from BMW with the chip already programed to your VIN. My dealer wants / needs to see the registration or the bike prior to placing the order.

x2 the dealer has no access to blank keys nor the ability to cut internal grooved keys, BMW NA is the only one who can program the chip for your individual bike and provide the correct cut key to match. The dealer has to fax in both proof of ID and ownership/registration before BMW NA will even send the dealer the key, fairly strict protocol.

MJS 11-27-2012 08:26 PM

Hi Bobby:wave,

How's the knee?

Hikertrash 11-28-2012 02:24 PM

Have fun with that. My dealer took over a month to get my spare key in so I ended up trading that bike in for new one with 3 keys:D

Some Dude 11-28-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hikertrash (Post 20136649)
Have fun with that. My dealer took over a month to get my spare key in so I ended up trading that bike in for new one with 3 keys:D

Now that's a shady technique!!!! lol

Stick,..........knee is healing up nicely, rode a good 3.5 hours Monday on the TXC310R trying to keep a local A guy off my ass and survived, have about 12-13hours on dirt bikes the past 3 weeks and looking forward to a month following Dakar on a F650GS Dakar next month,...figure come February I'll be ready for the local hare scramble series!

Mr. Canoehead 11-29-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS (Post 20130623)

Be glad it isn't a Volvo. I lost my key/fob for my wife's car. $500 and two visits later, it was replaced/reprogrammed by the stealer. :eek1 I chased every viable option - there are none. At least on my Ford, you can program the keys yourself!

I know that the insurance companies insist on them but chipped keys on motorcycles are a PITA!

jotunheim 11-30-2012 08:47 AM

I think you are stuck with the dealer, but it is not that bad. I ordered a spare last month and only took about a week for it to come in from BMW and wasn't terribly expensive. About $80 I think, which isn't that bad considering the brand.

mtbenson 11-30-2012 09:56 AM

The purpose of the chipped key is to ensure that your stolen bike is parted out rather than kept whole.

yellowbirdrs 11-30-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hikertrash (Post 20136649)

clever! :D

bob393 11-30-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Dude (Post 20131493)
x2 the dealer has no access to blank keys nor the ability to cut internal grooved keys, BMW NA is the only one who can program the chip for your individual bike and provide the correct cut key to match. The dealer has to fax in both proof of ID and ownership/registration before BMW NA will even send the dealer the key, fairly strict protocol.

+3 just got a new one for mine. I think it was $57 but took less than a week from MAX BMW

Callisto224 11-30-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS (Post 20131696)
Hi Bobby:wave,

How's the knee?

Which Bobby?

2nd AC Bobby? :huh

Mike in Atlanta 11-30-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbenson (Post 20149605)
The purpose of the chipped key is to ensure that your stolen bike is parted out rather than kept whole.

It's possible to disable the EWS system in the software with a flash. I don't know if anyone is selling such a solution commercially yet but it was defeated in the vehicles years ago. It's a simple $100 flash to remove EWS in certain BMW vehicles so you can use any key/ECU in other vehicles etc.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:07 AM.