ADVrider (
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (
-   -   Register a bike Arizona help? (

ciedema 11-28-2012 10:23 PM

Register a bike Arizona help?
Hi All,

I am currently touring the US and I have a BC (Canada) registered 990. The registration expires on Dec 9 and it has been suggested to me that the best way to go is to permanently import it into the US and register it in Arizona. I am an Australian citizen currently on a Tourist Visa to the US.

I am wondering if

a) Anyone has done this and the steps involved
b) If some has an address I can use to register it.

Jeff aka BOLT 11-29-2012 12:46 AM

AZ has a simple process. But if you don't have famiiy in AZ it's probably not a great idea. Offering a false address on state docs does carry the weight of purgery in some states.

On the flip side, they do allow a mailing address to just about anywhere for renewals.

lamotovita 11-29-2012 06:48 AM

You may be able to buy an Arizona trip permit thats good for 60 or 90 days.

mergatroyd 11-29-2012 08:39 AM

Assuming you are in the state, your best bet is probably a "third party provider." I have found them to be far more efficient than the MVD offices, plus they should answer your questions over the phone. there is a "service fee" added to the cost of the transaction, but it's worth it to me (something like $20 for a vehicle registration).

If you are out of state... I suspect it will be more difficult.

It would also appear there is some other paperwork you may need to acquire from Customs

And according to HUBB, you should get a letter from the EPA... details:

There is also the EPA rules:

I would also stay out of Maricopa County (where Phoenix is) because they are the only county in the entire country to have emissions testing for motorcycles.

sandwash 11-29-2012 09:15 AM

Ya I was in Cali,I had AZ send my reg to Yucca Valley.There was NO way I was going to reg my stuff in Cali..33$(two year) was WAY better then to go through all Cali's BS.Back in AZ I reg my bike bike for 5 years(2017 sticker) for 66$

ciedema 11-29-2012 10:40 AM

Thanks all for the replies.

The customs paperwork seems pretty straight forward and the EPA testing should be okay also, the bike is current complaint I haven't done any mods to emission system, it even has the right stickers on it.

sandwash - how did you get the AZ Dot to send the rego out of state?

mergatroyd 11-29-2012 11:15 AM


Originally Posted by ciedema (Post 20142473)
Thanks all for the replies.

The customs paperwork seems pretty straight forward and the EPA testing should be okay also, the bike is current complaint I haven't done any mods to emission system, it even has the right stickers on it.

I don't live in that part of the state, but I have read some horror stories of stock bikes in good repair not passing. But stickers are good.

Where are you right now? in my searching, it seemed that some other states were equally or nearly as painless...

ciedema 11-29-2012 11:18 AM

We are in Missouri at the moment, heading to California on Route 66.

mergatroyd 11-29-2012 11:37 AM

These two are on your route in order of appearance:

<table><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align:text-top;text-align:left;width:225px;">ARIZONA LOAN SOLUTIONS MOTOR VEHICLE CENTER
4401 N HWY 89 STE 1
Phone: (928) 527-3757
</td><td style="white-space:nowrap;vertical-align:text-top;text-align:left;">
Map & directions</td></tr><tr><td style="vertical-align:text-top;text-align:left;width:225px;">FOOTEWORK AUTO LICENSE& TITLE SERVICE
820 W ROUTE 66
Phone: (928) 635-2006
</td><td style="white-space:nowrap;vertical-align:text-top;text-align:left;">
Map & directions</td></tr></tbody></table>
I would call them...

ciedema 11-29-2012 11:54 AM


drdfblackm 11-29-2012 12:07 PM

Northern AZ does not require SMOG testing. :rofl

If you need a place to crash PM me or we can just get a beer if I am available.

DSM8 11-29-2012 12:08 PM

That is the one I used, with very good results. They are not as political as some of the other DMV's if that makes any sense.

ciedema 11-29-2012 12:35 PM

Thanks all! drdfblackm - I will be in touch!

ravenranger 11-29-2012 03:31 PM

I'm in Tucson (southern part of state) but feel free to PM me if you need an address.

Arizona will even let folks put an out of state address on their driver's license to licensing the bike shouldn't be too bad!

BTW, if you're in the state in March, come on over and join a whole bunch of dual-sport folks at the DualSportDesertDaze event (

Official ADV thread is here:

March 14-17, 2013 down in the Dragoon Mountains of Southern Arizona.

Jeff aka BOLT 11-29-2012 03:53 PM

Even in the phoenix area there is no smog testing requirement unless the bike is old. 6 years.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015