ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Heavy Lines on OSM in Basecamp (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844834)

Herbivore63 11-29-2012 01:25 PM

Heavy Lines on OSM in Basecamp
 
I'm new to using Basecamp and a GPS with tracks. I've just managed to import an Open Street Map into Basecamp and it seems to be working fine except that there are heavy diagonal and vertical lines showing up making it almost unreadable. I've been through all the Basecamp settings, googled everything I can think of and still can't figure out the problem. I'm hoping someone can help. I'm also hoping that the screenshot link below works as I've never posted an image on here before! Thanks for any help...

http://herbivore.smugmug.com/Other/U...%20lines-M.jpg

BKMLWR 11-30-2012 12:29 PM

I have Maine/Quebec/New Brunswick/ Nova Scotia area in OSM and there are horizontal lines are in NB and Gaspe area of Quebec and parts of NS but not in Maine

Warin 11-30-2012 12:37 PM

Configuration file
 
Think those lines are to mark out different land use (National Parks, Cities, Forests, Farm land etc)

I don't know basecamp ... but in Mapsource (older Garmin software) there is a configuration file you can change that may change how things (like roads) are shown, it could change how land use is shown too?

Herbivore63 11-30-2012 01:59 PM

Thanks for the replies--I think you are correct. The screenshot is of southern Vancouver Island. If I scroll far enough up the island, the lines go away. I also included some of Washington State and the only lines there are for Olympic National Forest. It's interesting that the lines don't show up on the online version of OSM. Now, any ideas how to get rid of the lines? I've played around with the activity profiles and map display and haven't been able to eliminate them.

BKMLWR 12-03-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warin (Post 20150751)
Think those lines are to mark out different land use (National Parks, Cities, Forests, Farm land etc)

if so they have no idea of what Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are like

Emmbeedee 12-03-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herbivore63 (Post 20143648)
I'm new to using Basecamp and a GPS with tracks. I've just managed to import an Open Street Map into Basecamp and it seems to be working fine except that there are heavy diagonal and vertical lines showing up making it almost unreadable. I've been through all the Basecamp settings, googled everything I can think of and still can't figure out the problem. I'm hoping someone can help. I'm also hoping that the screenshot link below works as I've never posted an image on here before! Thanks for any help...

http://herbivore.smugmug.com/Other/U...%20lines-M.jpg

Re your image - don't post it as a link; choose the images icon instead and you'll get something like this:

http://herbivore.smugmug.com/Other/U...%20lines-M.jpg

Herbivore63 12-03-2012 01:50 PM

Emmbeedee...thanks for the heads up. That's much better. I didn't spot that icon the first time through. Now that everyone can see it, any ideas about how to get rid of them? :ear

Emmbeedee 12-03-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herbivore63 (Post 20170375)
Emmbeedee...thanks for the heads up. That's much better. I didn't spot that icon the first time through. Now that everyone can see it, any ideas about how to get rid of them? :ear

My OSM map doesn't look at all like that when I check that area:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6...Maps%25201.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-s...Maps%25202.jpg

Maybe you should try downloading this one: http://www.osmmaps.com/canada.html

BKMLWR 12-03-2012 05:40 PM

good link, my maps came from a .nl web address

Emmbeedee 12-03-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKMLWR (Post 20171877)
good link, my maps came from a .nl web address

I think these come from the NL site but they're pre-assembled for your convenience. One file = all of Canada.

The only problem is that the file I linked to is what you put on the gps. It's not a file you install in Basecamp. (Remembered about that after I suggested it)

But with the right gps, connected to the computer via USB, the maps on the gps will be accessible through Basecamp anyway.

Question to the OP: what gps are you using?

Herbivore63 12-03-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Question to the OP: what gps are you using?
I have just purchased a Montana but haven't even hooked it up yet. I was just trying to get Basecamp working with a map in it before tackling getting a map on the Montana.

Emmbeedee 12-03-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herbivore63 (Post 20172561)
I have just purchased a Montana but haven't even hooked it up yet. I was just trying to get Basecamp working with a map in it before tackling getting a map on the Montana.

Great choice. I also have a Montana, a 650. If you download the map from the link I suggested you can rename it to OSM Canada.img and place it in the Montana's \Garmin directory or in the same directory on the uSD card if you have one. No need to keep its current name.

Herbivore63 12-03-2012 09:29 PM

That sounds reasonably straight-forward--which seems rare when dealing with GPS-related things. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the help!

BKMLWR 12-04-2012 05:42 AM

this is the link where I got the map tiles for NE US and Maritimes CA. with the lines.....:norton

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/


when the world map displays I just zoom in and pick map tiles as needed....


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014